Euro 2021

4 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Rashford down the middle, against Chielini and Bonucci. That was the move. Southgate bottled it.

The problem with Kane is that if you take him off and any other player misses half a chance later in the game, or if it goes to penalties and Kane isn't available to take one, then the narrative becomes that bringing him off was a tactical disaster. I think Southgate is broadly getting away with some fairly horrible decisions in that final because the focus is on the penalties (and unfortunately the abuse of those who missed them), but if we lose a final without Kane on the field for the duration I think he would be getting more stick.

For me the change was the supporting cast. I'd have had Grealish, Sancho and Saka on well within the 90, with Rashford on in extra time if needed. I'd have rather have thrown the kitchen sink at it and risk losing in ET than risk penalties. I've no idea why there was any confidence in a shoot out. Donnaruma looks about 8ft tall in that net. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

For me the change was the supporting cast. I'd have had Grealish, Sancho and Saka on well within the 90, with Rashford on in extra time if needed. I'd have rather have thrown the kitchen sink at it and risk losing in ET than risk penalties. I've no idea why there was any confidence in a shoot out. Donnaruma looks about 8ft tall in that net. 

It's a game of opinions and on any given day, we'd all be proven right. 

For me Kane's a big unit, who was running on empty. Too many games in a short space of time. I believe he was the problem and not the supporting cast.

39 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

For me Kane's a big unit, who was running on empty. Too many games in a short space of time.

I agree, I'm just saying it's a difficult decision to take him off because of the nature of his game. 

If a scrappy set piece deep into extra time falls at an England players feet 6 yards out, and that player misses because Kane has already been brought off, that substitution haunts Southgate forever. That's a tactical change that ends up with a bag over his head again for Pizza Hut. 

You have Kane in the team to stick away a half chance that appears out of nowhere (or two), and if he doesn't contribute a single other thing to the game then it's not a problem. I'd argue that's even more the case in a one off, must win final. 

I thought Sterling looked just as knackered and assumed he was only staying on as a certainty to take a penalty. I'd have brought Sancho on for Sterling and brought Grealish on earlier, playing more centrally, to pick up a lot Kane's busywork and get him buzzing around Kane to try and create something centrally. 

• Like 1

Once it got to extra time, certainly, we had to keep Kane on in case it went to penalties. But we could have made other substitutions! We did the same against Denmark as well - just 1 in normal time, and just 4 overall. Against Germany, we made just 2. Against Ukraine, on the other hand, when we had the match sewn up 5 minutes after half-time, we made our 5th substitution in the 73rd minute - which of course is fine: you want to rest players. But the general pattern doesn't seem to be that of a manager comfortable with making proactive substitutions. Southgate mentioned upsetting the shape - but teams change their shape all the time; England themselves have started with different formations in the tournament. If he didn't want to make changes in 90 minutes, surely he could have made more in extra time? I also found our reported method of choosing the penalty-takers hard to agree with, especially if Rashford wasn't fit enough to make a proper contribution. 

Edited by Sova

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

On 15/07/2021 at 11:15, SiJ said:

Regarding Rashford down the middle:

1214036767_Screenshot_20210715-111521_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f52af3313e5922939137d1f5866d1b2d.jpg

I don’t think it’s particularly special to play through pain to get to a championship and if he was that bad why did GS take him? I don’t think he’s that good in the first place to take him half fit, would have been better off with Ings or Greenwood if he wasn’t fit.

9 hours ago, Errol Flashman said:

More than 2,300 police incidents linked to the Euros have so far been recorded, surpassing the 2018 World Cup to make it the worst football tournament on record for crime.

They include stabbings, glassings, fights and assaults on police officers, with at least 622 people arrested so far in England and Wales

It’s pretty obvious why that is to be fair, the more we win, the more people get drunk, the more there is crime. 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It’s pretty obvious why that is to be fair, the more we win, the more people get drunk, the more there is crime. 

Not sure that makes it ok tbh lol 

On 15/07/2021 at 15:54, Sova said:

Once it got to extra time, certainly, we had to keep Kane on in case it went to penalties. But we could have made other substitutions! We did the same against Denmark as well - just 1 in normal time, and just 4 overall. Against Germany, we made just 2. Against Ukraine, on the other hand, when we had the match sewn up 5 minutes after half-time, we made our 5th substitution in the 73rd minute - which of course is fine: you want to rest players. But the general pattern doesn't seem to be that of a manager comfortable with making proactive substitutions. Southgate mentioned upsetting the shape - but teams change their shape all the time; England themselves have started with different formations in the tournament. If he didn't want to make changes in 90 minutes, surely he could have made more in extra time? I also found our reported method of choosing the penalty-takers hard to agree with, especially if Rashford wasn't fit enough to make a proper contribution. 

Such a frustrating thing considering we have so much depth. The only player/position where there was a massive drop off with Kane>DLC though DLC is not a bad player. Consider we barely get weaker with subs then you’re essentially just bringing fresher but similar quality players on. Do Italy wanna defend V a knackered Sterling or a fresh Sancho at 100 minutes on the clock? 
I am struggling to get over our boy GS’s choices

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Not sure that makes it ok tbh lol 

The suggestion is that our behaviour is getting worse but it’s just the same and we have had more opportunities to be bad.

Was just listening to an account of in stadium behaviour and this guy was reporting 2 Italian blokes getting battered inside the ground.

Why no segregation in competitions? It’s not rugby 

4 hours ago, 442 said:

What a tournament by the way.

Will be a very fond memory in years to come.

It has. 

Concentrating on just the football an ignoring some of our social f'ckwittery the tournament itself has been fantastic. 

Knock out Monday is one of the best days football I've ever seen from an entertainment point of view. Brilliant! 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

On 16/07/2021 at 23:57, mildatheart67 said:

Is that 2300 incidents in UK or across all the hosts 

I presume just UK.

On 17/07/2021 at 01:12, Errol Flashman said:

Aye, just UK as I read it.

Thats really bad. 

What’s the matter with us as football fans.