Euro 2021

2 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I’m interested in peoples thoughts on Southgate. On the one hand it’s impossible to overstate how broken it was after the Iceland game, and the job he has done reconnecting the team to the nation, and in developing the character of those young men.

But he’s been outwitted in two massive games now. With this group of players at some point the pressure to win will come.

My preference would be for him to stay, and figure out that final hurdle. Can he?

If he is to stay and do this it should be whether he can win the next Euros

Cause this next World Cup will be a strange one all round.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I’m interested in peoples thoughts on Southgate. On the one hand it’s impossible to overstate how broken it was after the Iceland game, and the job he has done reconnecting the team to the nation, and in developing the character of those young men.

But he’s been outwitted in two massive games now. With this group of players at some point the pressure to win will come.

My preference would be for him to stay, and figure out that final hurdle. Can he?

It’s an interesting point mate. Guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons.

The pros? Well the players like him, he’s implemented a great culture. He’s a good ambassador.

The cons? He’s tactically naive and doesn’t have the astuteness to change a game or to know when a change is needed. He still doesn’t know his best team, and seemingly has no idea how to get the best out of Sancho, foden, grealish etc and mould them into the team.

I’d let him see the WC, on the basis he integrates the younger players & learns when to make tactical and substitute changes.

If we go into the WC still setting up not to lose with an array of talent sat on the bench, then the FA need to look at someone else. 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

It’s an interesting point mate. Guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons.

The pros? Well the players like him, he’s implemented a great culture. He’s a good ambassador.

The cons? He’s tactically naive and doesn’t have the astuteness to change a game or to know when a change is needed. He still doesn’t know his best team, and seemingly has no idea how to get the best out of Sancho, foden, grealish etc and mould them into the team.

I’d let him see the WC, on the basis he integrates the younger players & learns when to make tactical and substitute changes.

If we go into the WC still setting up not to lose with an array of talent sat on the bench, then the FA need to look at someone else. 

I agree with a lot of that. I don't want them to change right now, but pressure is going to come.

To add to that, assuming that we won't be hiring a foreign manager again for the forseeable, then who has all of the qualities that you would want to get to the next stage?

3 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

I agree with a lot of that. I don't want them to change right now, but pressure is going to come.

To add to that, assuming that we won't be hiring a foreign manager again for the forseeable, then who has all of the qualities that you would want to get to the next stage?

Chris Wilder.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mildatheart67 said:

Two semi finals in a row.

The players seem entirely in lockstep with him ,be madness to think of changing.

In a shabby little Britain brings a dose of decency

Agreed. With everything he's achieved he has earned to right to have another crack. Just idly wondering at what point the FA says "Right, this generation of players is going to have to win something"

56 minutes ago, NYCOWL said:

Million pound question isn’t it. Preferably a more attack minded manager. Being a defender doesn’t help Southgate and is probably one of the reasons we set up the way we do. 

I actually think Stevie G would be a good appointment down the line, although not sure if he’d be up for it, and he probably has a long shelf life in club football. 

Edited by FreshOwl

Spain showed us the blueprint on how to beat Italy and we failed to follow.

Stop Jorginho and Verratti, picking the ball up off the defence and bringing it forward.

Run at their defence when you have the ball.

We failed on both accounts in the end.

Although we scored and were comfortable, even though Italy had a lot of the ball, when they changed it we struggled.

What worked before didn't.

When Chiesa went on the left, it pinned Trippier back, Rice and Philips couldn't cope, dragging Sterling back and Mount although the latter was very poor. He was playing as though it was the PL where it doesn't matter as much if you lose the ball.

Kane was isolated, we got anxious and just lumped it anywhere.

They pressed and we lacked the bravery to accept the ball in tight situations, we have the players but they were either injured or on the bench. 

Southgate needs to tweak it and has to trust his defence.

We were all worried at the start of the tournament but they stood up admirably, two goals conceded from set pieces.

The DM's did protect them but as mentioned before, we need one that can get box to box and have a long passing range. Saying that again they did well, neither have played European football. There is a player there in Rice but he needs to leave West Ham and play his game at the top level, the better way to improve.

If he trusts his defence he can play more attack minded players and we are producing some technically gifted players so keeping the ball should not be a problem.

It was disappointing in the end but in less than 18 months we go again.

Southgate wants us to trust him and his team. He needs to trust his team.

He has plenty of options with the players at his disposal to choose any formation but he has to let them of the leash a little.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Spain showed us the blueprint on how to beat Italy and we failed to follow.

Stop Jorginho and Verratti, picking the ball up off the defence and bringing it forward.

Run at their defence when you have the ball.

We failed on both accounts in the end.

Although we scored and were comfortable, even though Italy had a lot of the ball, when they changed it we struggled.

What worked before didn't.

When Chiesa went on the left, it pinned Trippier back, Rice and Philips couldn't cope, dragging Sterling back and Mount although the latter was very poor. He was playing as though it was the PL where it doesn't matter as much if you lose the ball.

Kane was isolated, we got anxious and just lumped it anywhere.

They pressed and we lacked the bravery to accept the ball in tight situations, we have the players but they were either injured or on the bench. 

Southgate needs to tweak it and has to trust his defence.

We were all worried at the start of the tournament but they stood up admirably, two goals conceded from set pieces.

The DM's did protect them but as mentioned before, we need one that can get box to box and have a long passing range. Saying that again they did well, neither have played European football. There is a player there in Rice but he needs to leave West Ham and play his game at the top level, the better way to improve.

If he trusts his defence he can play more attack minded players and we are producing some technically gifted players so keeping the ball should not be a problem.

It was disappointing in the end but in less than 18 months we go again.

Southgate wants us to trust him and his team. He needs to trust his team.

He has plenty of options with the players at his disposal to choose any formation but he has to let them of the leash a little.

This is exactly what I was about to say.

Tbf, we lost to them on pens too; it's just Spain were the better side over 120 minutes whilst we were not.

Tbh, I haven't given the game much thought following all the crap before, during and after.

Just think the fear and pressure got to us and we lost our way again like we did against Croatia. Two great starts where we then failed to really build on. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NYCOWL said:

Hindsight is very valuable and I'm sure he'll see his mistakes and improve from them.

As a fan, I saw Harry Kane tired and laboured, as Italy crept forward. Kane needed replacing, Ideally with Rashford, at the latest 60th minute.

Rashford down the middle, against Chielini and Bonucci. That was the move. Southgate bottled it.

As soon as Italy got their goal, the space for pace disappeared. Italy sat back. 

2 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Rashford down the middle, against Chielini and Bonucci. That was the move. Southgate bottled it.

I agree but he was never going to do it. Southgate was planning for penalties as soon as Italy equalised.