Euro 2021

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh bulk of blame for Southgate but Rashford's penalty was atrocious 

It’s a lottery when it comes to penalties. Rashford has zero % blame - the lad was brave enough to stand up and be counted - the lad tried his best. Anyone blaming Rashford tonight is missing the point. 

• Like 2

I genuinely can't believe we've lost in this way, not the penalties, the fact we were leading and he thought we could simply defend that for 90mins. Someone said on here, they have faith Southgate won't make the same mistakes. I agreed. But he did. I don't think there are many players in that Italy team I'd swap for England. Does that just not say how bad the management is? Mancini can beat us with lesser players, even lost their star player, while we're at home? 

Southgate is a great man manager, he's knit the squad together well, he's sorted our issues out with the media too but we need a footballing manager now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

It’s a lottery when it comes to penalties. Rashford has zero % blame - the lad was brave enough to stand up and be counted - the lad tried his best. Anyone blaming Rashford tonight is missing the point. 

It's not a lottery, it's an important facet of the game that can be critiqued like any other part of the game. He paused for too long on the ball and got his angles completely wrong. Someone that can finish like him shouldn't have to rely on sending the keeper the wrong way.

9 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but in my opinion if you decide to try to be clever with a penalty - whether it’s trying to tip-toe up and outwit the keeper or going for the Panenka - then you HAVE to score. I think it’s an arrogant tactic, and if you miss then you have to take responsibility for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect any player for going up to take a penalty, but if you want to be absolved of blame then you have to take it without trying to be clever.

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It's not a lottery, it's an important facet of the game that can be critiqued like any other part of the game. He paused for too long on the ball and got his angles completely wrong. Someone that can finish like him shouldn't have to rely on sending the keeper the wrong way.

Oh come on! Stop blaming Rashford. If you’re going to blame Rashford then you should blame s Sancho and Saka also because their penalties were just as bad or even worse. 

The fact is that Rashford and Sancho had about two minutes of the game and then were expected to be “zoned in” enough to take penalties - a poor decision by Southgate plus the fact that Saka and Sancho are teenagers makes it an appalling decision. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, punkskaphil said:

Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but in my opinion if you decide to try to be clever with a penalty - whether it’s trying to tip-toe up and outwit the keeper or going for the Panenka - then you HAVE to score. I think it’s an arrogant tactic, and if you miss then you have to take responsibility for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect any player for going up to take a penalty, but if you want to be absolved of blame then you have to take it without trying to be clever.

Just my opinion.

Got to agree here

if you miss you need to miss trying to take a normal pen

but he scores pens all the time ffs 

but he also plays…. 

I think rashford should have come on at 85 or 90 or maybe 105 mins… probably would have been enough to buy a sure pen.

Just my opinion.

Rashford is not a robot - he’s human. The Italian keeper is massive and mobile and apparently good in penalty situations. It’s unfair to blame a player that has been brought on in the last two minutes of extra time. 

12 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

Saka’s first ever penalty in professional football? Disgraceful really he’s been given that one. 

Awful awful decision. How a 19 year old lad who’s never taken a pen before fifth choice taker in the biggest game in the country’s recent history. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Awful awful decision. How a 19 year old lad who’s never taken a pen before fifth choice taker in the biggest game in the country’s recent history. 

Given he shouldn't have been on the pitch either. 

I'd have preferred Henderson left on to take one, or James even with the way he takes a free kick. 

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Rashford is not a robot - he’s human. The Italian keeper is massive and mobile and apparently good in penalty situations. It’s unfair to blame a player that has been brought on in the last two minutes of extra time. 

I don’t blame Rashford for England losing. I don’t blame him for only being on

the pitch a couple of minutes (I already mentioned that in an earlier post), but if you’re going to do a clever penalty and get it wrong then you have to be responsible for it, regardless of who you are, and regardless of how many minutes you’ve been on the pitch.

Saka’s penalty was poor, but I don’t think he should shoulder any responsibility because he didn’t try to be clever.

Take an honest penalty and miss and it’s bad luck. Take a clever penalty and miss and you take responsibility for it. That’s how I feel about it, and I like Marcus Rashford.

• Like 1

I don’t blame Rashford for England losing. I don’t blame him for only being on

the pitch a couple of minutes (I already mentioned that in an earlier post), but if you’re going to do a clever penalty and get it wrong then you have to be responsible for it, regardless of who you are, and regardless of how many minutes you’ve been on the pitch.

Saka’s penalty was poor, but I don’t think he should shoulder any responsibility because he didn’t try to be clever.

Take an honest penalty and miss and it’s bad luck. Take a clever penalty and miss and you take responsibility for it. That’s how I feel about it, and I like Marcus Rashford.

Sorry, I don’t agree.