Euro 2021

2 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Nor should you. By the way, how would you like Rashford to take responsibility for his miss. Public apology? Flogging? Cut off his little finger? The fact that he was inconsolable shows you that he feels a level of responsibility. He is not to blame - he stood up to be counted and tried his best. Southgate lost us tonight’s game and that is as clear as the nose on your face v

I’m caught between not blaming players but also frustration with the penalties. 

It’s been said in the thread but if you walk up to a penalty.. stop.. shuffle your feet.. twinkle your toes.. stop again.. side foot it.. you HAVE to score.

Donarumma is a man mountain and might well be the next great goalkeeper in the game for next 15 years. Have some respect for the opposition. 

Some of that is just personal taste. It may not make sense to some, but if the 3 lads had just smashed it and skied it above the bar, I’d have been less annoyed than seeing the 3 we got. 

They were poor penalties and as a fan I feel absolutely done with seeing these awful run ups - whether they go in or not. Just bloody kick the thing.

• Like 1

Shaw and Henderson have won trophies and taken pens, were warmed up and…. Just…. Ahhhh why 

and that was sakas first professional penalty 

however good they are in training….. 

the pressure and 

why

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

I’m caught between not blaming players but also frustration with the penalties. 

It’s been said in the thread but if you walk up to a penalty.. stop.. shuffle your feet.. twinkle your toes.. stop again.. side foot it.. you HAVE to score.

Donarumma is a man mountain and might well be the next great goalkeeper in the game for next 15 years. Have some respect for the opposition. 

Some of that is just personal taste. It may not make sense to some, but if the 3 lads had just smashed it and skied it above the bar, I’d have been less annoyed than seeing the 3 we got. 

They were poor penalties and as a fan I feel absolutely done with seeing these awful run ups - whether they go in or not. Just bloody kick the thing.

If one of them smashed it down the middle we’d have probably won the cup 

lol

its ******** annoying 

2 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Nor should you. By the way, how would you like Rashford to take responsibility for his miss. Public apology? Flogging? Cut off his little finger? The fact that he was inconsolable shows you that he feels a level of responsibility. He is not to blame - he stood up to be counted and tried his best. Southgate lost us tonight’s game and that is as clear as the nose on your face v

I’d like him to take responsibility by taking his next penalty for England in the standard way instead of trying to be clever. Taking responsibility doesn’t mean being physically punished.

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

He never does. He always takes penalties like that. Looks at the keeper until he moves then hits it the other way.

Genuinely don't understand how the is any blame for a missed penalty unless you go for some kind of panenka.

We should have gone at them. That is the crux of the matter. We sat off and they took over. 

Any penalty that goes in is a good penalty.

If the keeper guesses the right way and saves it, it looks like a poor penalty.

To not even get it on target is not getting the basics right.

We’ve looked so strong at times in this tournament, and we have to bear in mind that while we thought defence was our weak point, we haven’t conceded a goal from open play.

Fine margins here.  It’s still raw and we’re lashing out and looking for blame.  I lay no blame at Rice & Phillips’ door, but to go to that next level tonight we needed a central midfielder to step in, break up their attack and release our forwards.  We didn’t quite have that.  Can they develop to become that player?  Do we have a player waiting to come in to start and be that player?

We’ve made a major final for the first time in my life and while it would have been amazing to win the lot, I genuinely didn’t think we’d get this far.  It’s better than going out to Iceland.

• Like 3

It’s frustrating af 

for Southgate to get us to a final and then have that circus go on with the penalties 

a 19 yo who has never taken a professional penalty…. How did the manager and senior players just let that happen 

but I never expected us to get so close lol

So close and then to go insane in the penalty shoot out right at the end

nobody stepped in for saka? 

poor kid 

why in tf has that just happened 

wish Italy had just won in ET

9 minutes ago, scram said:

Same old same old

Cowardly insipid display

Sick of it tbh

Truly sick of it

5h1t tactics. We have the most talented squad from an attacking perspective and the manager is obsessed with defending. Southgate has also clearly decided that all other substitution avenues must be chosen before Mason Mount is replaced and Jack Grealish is brought on. I’ve nothing against Mount but he’s clearly Southgate’s favourite. Mount was stinking the place out but two other subs were made before he was replaced by Grealish. 

Southgate needs to learn from this defeat. 

13 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

We’ve looked so strong at times in this tournament, and we have to bear in mind that while we thought defence was our weak point, we haven’t conceded a goal from open play.

Fine margins here.  It’s still raw and we’re lashing out and looking for blame.  I lay no blame at Rice & Phillips’ door, but to go to that next level tonight we needed a central midfielder to step in, break up their attack and release our forwards.  We didn’t quite have that.  Can they develop to become that player?  Do we have a player waiting to come in to start and be that player?

We’ve made a major final for the first time in my life and while it would have been amazing to win the lot, I genuinely didn’t think we’d get this far.  It’s better than going out to Iceland.

I thought Rice was immense tonight. Was getting stuck in and winning most things.

He did go forward but it seemed more by default than design. The tendancy was always to win the ball then look back for the pass rather than forward.

The inability to find any forward support or play that key pass behind the defence was frustrating

9 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Yes. He’s called Jordan Henderson - also, James Ward-Prowse could have done that but he was left out of the squad for that centre-half/right-back that plays for Brighton that (correct me if I’m wrong) didn’t play in this tournament. 

12 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

I’ve been saying this all tournament, but for me we should have been playing Grealish or Foden centrally in one of the spots occupied by Phillips and Rice. Maybe play Phillips/Rice and Mount sat together with Grealish or Foden behind Kane and in the middle of Sterling and Sancho/Saka. 

I think that would have given us a lot more drive through the middle and allowed us to transition into attacking phases much more quickly than simply pinging it down the wings for Sterling and Saka to chase, or asking Kane to hold everything up. 

Bellingham is the logical answer in central midfield, but perhaps this tournament was just 6-12 months too early for that. I hope that Bellingham provides an answer to a lesson learned from this tournament, and that he isn’t just another name to throw into the rotational merry-go-round that is the front 2/3 behind Kane.

11 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

I thought Rice was immense tonight. Was getting stuck in and winning most things.

He did go forward but it seemed more by default than design. The tendancy was always to win the ball then look back for the pass rather than forward.

The inability to find any forward support or play that key pass behind the defence was frustrating

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising either.  They ran their nuts off and at times Rice in particular was carrying forwards.  It just needed that next step up against the quality of opposition.  If we’d had someone in there that could see what was developing and step in a bit quicker, we could possibly have turned a defensive showing into a positive one?

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Henderson was awful too.

He rally was poor.

Southgate will probably look back on that game with regret, as we all will. There were 24 teams in this tournament and we did better than 22 of them, not often we've been able to say that in my lifetime and feels like scat consolation now but burying the manager who has led us to a final and a semi-final when our previous recent tournament history before him was -

2016 - knocked out last 16 by Iceland

2014 - knocked out in group stage behind Costa Rica

2012 - knocked out in quarter finals

2010 - hammered in last 16

2008 - failed to qualify

Seems a bit harsh. 

13 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Yes. He’s called Jordan Henderson - also, James Ward-Prowse could have done that but he was left out of the squad for that centre-half/right-back that plays for Brighton that (correct me if I’m wrong) didn’t play in this tournament. 

I don’t think either of those would have provided the step up in quality required to stop them having as much possession in front of our defence as they had