Euro 2021

1 minute ago, 0wl18 said:

Nobody is saying racism would disappear. Unfortunately we live in a sick society where people find it acceptable to do obscene things.

Racism, terrorism, paedophilia, woman beaters, the list goes on. These people will always exist.

The problem with social media is it allows an anonymous platform for these sicko’s to flourish. Putting traceable controls in place would allow these people to be held to account. 

There’s far more that needs to be done, we can’t just accept the fact that these people exist and, punish them accordingly. As a society we have a responsibility to people like your niece and nephew, to do whatever we can to stop and, educate these people who find it acceptable to hand out such vile abuse. How we do that? I really don’t know. It’s an up hill battle when a social media giant in Instagram refuses to see a monkey emoji directed towards a black male, as racist. It’s a sad state of affairs, I really wish I knew the answer.

I agree, there are no easy answers.

I just don't like the idea that the targets should just ignore it, as it goes way beyond that. As I say, it's sickening to think that you need to speak to 8 and 12 year olds due to them being worried by the news reports. 

• Like 1

Just now, markg said:

I agree, there are no easy answers.

I just don't like the idea that the targets should just ignore it, as it goes way beyond that. As I say, it's sickening to think that you need to speak to 8 and 12 year olds due to them being worried by the news reports. 

I completely agree and, sympathise with you on that. I think one of the biggest problems is, you can’t put yourself in someone’s shoes who’s been racially abused unless you’ve been a victim of it yourself. 

I think society as a whole has a large proportion of individuals in the gutter. Children with poor upbringings, mothers and fathers who’ve let their kids down. We now have a generation of kids who think certain things are acceptable and, that rules don’t apply to them because of the upbringing they’ve had. 

From a very young age I knew right from wrong. I helped care for my grandparents in my early teen years and, their outlook on life moulded me to the person I am today. When the Prime Minister refuses to condemn the booing of players taking the knee, it shows what a sad state we really are in. 

Within my lifetime I’ve not seen the issue of racism have anywhere near as much traction as it currently has. One thing we have to do it keep it at the forefront of the news and, keep talking about it. Far too often something happens and, 2 weeks later it’s forgotten about.

I saw Sancho with his training stuff off (cant remember if begining of extra time or not. i was a bit drunk)   and thought he was coming on.

Just going back over the substitutions again,  I thought it showed a massive amount of disrespect and condecension to Rashord and Sancho that Southgate thought they were only any use for penalties.   He wanted them to have so little time on the pitch that he almost left it too late to get them on.

Abominable management.   Who knows what could have been if he had allowed our team to attack.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I saw Sancho with his training stuff off (cant remember if begining of extra time or not. i was a bit drunk)   and thought he was coming on.

Just going back over the substitutions again,  I thought it showed a massive amount of disrespect and condecension to Rashord and Sancho that Southgate thought they were only any use for penalties.   He wanted them to have so little time on the pitch that he almost left it too late to get them on.

Abominable management.   Who knows what could have been if he had allowed our team to attack.

I think the plan was to bring Sancho & Rashford on about 5 mins earlier but a lack of breaks in play stopped them getting on earlier. I agree they could have had more time, but our team and formation was working pretty well for the most part 

22 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I think the plan was to bring Sancho & Rashford on about 5 mins earlier but a lack of breaks in play stopped them getting on earlier. I agree they could have had more time, but our team and formation was working pretty well for the most part 

I think you’re right but it’s still only 5 minutes isn’t it. Southgate bottled it. Personally would have rather we had lost with a winner and had gone for it. I really think if we gave our fresh players 20 minutes we would have won it. Sancho/Rashford pace v tired Italians

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think you’re right but it’s still only 5 minutes isn’t it. Southgate bottled it. Personally would have rather we had lost with a winner and had gone for it. I really think if we gave our fresh players 20 minutes we would have won it. Sancho/Rashford pace v tired Italians

Absolutely agree. 

We were the youngest team in the tournament and had a bench full of direct, attacking players with energy and pace - against two centre backs in their mid 30's.

Maybe we'd have still lost anyway, but at least we would have given it an obvious go. I always thought the final would favour the Italians the longer it went on, but I didn't expect it would be England who would become so withdrawn and unadventurous while playing for a shootout.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Agreed. He really messed up the final. 

Despite our loss I've enjoyed our games.

And I've loved the tournament as a whole.

I think knockout monday Croatia/Spain France/Switzerland might be the greatest day of international football I've ever watched. 

Especially as a neutral and just being able to enjoy the games.

Also a quick word for the referees , I think they have been by and large, brilliant.

Handled the games really well, applied common sense and tried to let the games flow where possible. 

It's been great. And all told, the best side won. Which isn't always the case.

Reignited my love of footy a bit to be honest. 

Coz last few years...football....meh. 

Cant wait for the world cup!!

• Like 3

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

7 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

3 of our lads in official team of the tournament 

371DACE3-A9B1-4328-960E-32A61B2301D0.jpeg.ac3f5c8ae8e42e422e4d9903761cedab.jpeg

Stones and Maguire both excellent, but I'd give it Stones just, due to the extra 2 games. 

Schick over Lukaku for me.

And I'd have gone Wijnaldum over Hojberg

• Like 1

Definitely the best tournament Ive seen in quite a few years.

Plenty of goals and excitement in group stages in Group of Death. Honourable mention to Netherlands playing some exciting football and neglecting defence.

The knockout rounds had very few dull games and as mentioned knockout Monday was insane. I don't think it will be topped in all honesty.

The Italy v Spain semi was of the highest quality and engrossing

England v Denamark was a good watch as well and was in balance whole way through.

As for the final I found the 1st half a bit dull but the game picked up and had a dramatic end.

Plenty of bloopers in the tournament, Moratas misses, Goalkeepers having brain farts and missed pens.

I thought the format wouldnt work and players would be fatigued but was wrong.

I

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm a bit late and I'm sure most people have heard/seen it, but I found this funny:

The Sky Sports News coverage on it all:

Also:

I guess Ronaldo will be leaving Juventus then:

Pogba won't be happy too:

You gotta love Bonucci and Chiellini though. 

The two remind me of how football was, for example the two not being boring robots saying/doing the same thing over and over etc.

• Love 1

Gutted about the result, agree with the comments above that we should have gone for it and certainly made changes far sooner than we did. Penalties are the best to win and worst way to lose!

other than that, cracking tournament and was fortunate to be at 6/7 England games plus the friendlies. Great to see people that I haven’t seen for well over a year and enjoy plenty of beers with them. seeing the crowds grow as the tournament progressed was also fantastic to see. going to miss the sheer amount of days off I’ve taken over the past month to be able to travel down. 

and the football away from England was great too, can’t think of many games I didn’t tune into. 

bank balance and body need a bit of a breather, but we go again in September! 

• Love 1

Didn’t know anything about the events before the game until yesterday morning, we’d got into the ground 45 mins before so missed all the mayhem. Real Shame to see, but walking down Wembley way at 6pm you could see madness was set to unfold, had to constantly dodge broken glass bottles and stuff being chucked up in the ear as we made our way down.

Also think something needs to be done about tickets and people who were able to get hold of so many & charge others 1000s of pounds.. not condoning those who rushed through the barriers to get in, but I do wonder if it would have been any better(maybe wrong word) / less likely to happen if there wasn’t so many greedy people charging obscene amounts of money for the final 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, JoshTheOwl said:

Didn’t know anything about the events before the game until yesterday morning, we’d got into the ground 45 mins before so missed all the mayhem. Real Shame to see, but walking down Wembley way at 6pm you could see madness was set to unfold, had to constantly dodge broken glass bottles and stuff being chucked up in the ear as we made our way down.

Also think something needs to be done about tickets and people who were able to get hold of so many & charge others 1000s of pounds.. not condoning those who rushed through the barriers to get in, but I do wonder if it would have been any better(maybe wrong word) / less likely to happen if there wasn’t so many greedy people charging obscene amounts of money for the final 

did you see any big ££££ change hands?

3 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Stones and Maguire both excellent, but I'd give it Stones just, due to the extra 2 games. 

Schick over Lukaku for me.

And I'd have gone Wijnaldum over Hojberg

Agree with the first two but Wijnaldum was anonymous against Czech Republic other than being at fault for the second goal. 

4 hours ago, Errol Flashman said:

Cant wait for the world cup!!

Hmmm. I just can’t see Qatar being a decent tournament.

Ignoring the controversy over the bid and the appalling conditions workers have been dying in, logistically I can’t see how it can work alongside the European league schedule. Apparently the Premier League is starting a week early to accommodate, but as the tournament is 4 weeks long, and nations will want some preparation time too, that can’t be enough, and will surely necessitate fixture congestion down the line. 

I still think some players will not go, or that some serious club v FIFA rows will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m interested in peoples thoughts on Southgate. On the one hand it’s impossible to overstate how broken it was after the Iceland game, and the job he has done reconnecting the team to the nation, and in developing the character of those young men.

But he’s been outwitted in two massive games now. With this group of players at some point the pressure to win will come.

My preference would be for him to stay, and figure out that final hurdle. Can he?