Euro 2021

2 hours ago, Big Malc said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising either.  They ran their nuts off and at times Rice in particular was carrying forwards.  It just needed that next step up against the quality of opposition.  If we’d had someone in there that could see what was developing and step in a bit quicker, we could possibly have turned a defensive showing into a positive one?

Agreed

I’ve seen some opinions tonight which are just brain dead or fuucking stupid. Southgate has got it right all tournament, simple as that. Yes second half we’ve invited it on, we’d have all set out the same. 

As for our fans racially abusing our players. Jesus Christ. Every penalty taker that stepped up is a hero. Saka is a fuucking teenager for Christ sake, what a bloke.

I’m not having the debate that senior players like sterling should’ve taken one either. They’ve either worked on it or they’ve put themselves forward. Enough of the scapegoats. 

I've always been proud of my nation and football team, but this summer, been good ain’t it? Every single one of em hold your heads high.

We go again next year.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Sickening, the worst way to lose. Again.

I know Southgate said he chose the takers before, but bugger me there must be some cowards in that team if we end up with Sancho and Saka taking our decisive penalties. 

Such a shame we never turned up for the game after taking the lead. It was like the England of old. 

• Like 2

I think if you get all the way to the final of the Euros without playing France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium and Italy you’ve been extraordinary lucky with the draw.

Yes we beat Germany, but it’s a really poor German side playing without a recognized striker and recalling previously ‘retired’ players.

It took extra time and the world’s softest penalty to squeeze past an ordinary Danish side. 

Just like the last WC, as soon as England faced a legit side, they failed.

Southgate has been extraordinarily lucky in the knockout draws he’s had in the last two tournaments…and yet we’ve still failed. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Taz said:

Italy were just slightly better, in the game and at penalties, by one

You must have watched a different game. Except for the 20 minutes at the start, Italy were by far the better team despite them having to take off all their best attacking players. Can argue Italy didn't create that much, but when you have an entire team parking the bus all within 30 yards of their goal they would always struggle to break through

Difference was the manager as well. His subs had an impact for the positive in the game and knew exactly when to make them

I have been so confident since the semi. 

Had faith, thought we'd got the balance right. 

Saw the 3-5-2. Lost some confidence but thought, no Southgate has eaent the leaway. 

He was vindicated after 2 minutes. 

We were the England of old from there on. For 2 fooooking hours straight. 

It's the hope that kills you. 

• Like 1

Frustrating night. 2nd half in particular we just seemed scared of conceding which, as we know as Wednesday fans, becomes self fulfilling. I'm not gonna single out players for criticism but we all saw who was particularly bad. They'll know that too. It wasn't to be against a decent Italy team who have looked strong since match 1.

Penalty takers I have no issue with other than saying I wish they'd scored, which they do too. It breaks my heart that the first thing I thought when each of them missed was how much abuse they're going to get on social media. Anyone who did or does that can f### off for me, I don't want to share anything with those people, they embarrass me and I despise them. Same for the morons before and after the game. Its time for a sea change in mentality for some people cos our society is in danger of being ruined by idiots. This has to come from the top down starting with Boris. That's for another thread in a another section though. 

What a ride to the final, remember the good stuff from that and look forward to the next one with a young team that has a chance to learn and improve. We were so close, we'll do it eventually I honestly believe. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Donnarumma named player of the tournament... What?! 

Ridiculous decision. He’s won it for his shootout heroics against the Spanish and, us. A striker wouldn’t win player of the tournament on the basis of scoring in 2 shootouts. UEFA haven’t a clue. Sterling was head and shoulders the best player at this tournament, he was unplayable.

10 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Frustrating night. 2nd half in particular we just seemed scared of conceding which, as we know as Wednesday fans, becomes self fulfilling. I'm not gonna single out players for criticism but we all saw who was particularly bad. They'll know that too. It wasn't to be against a decent Italy team who have looked strong since match 1.

Penalty takers I have no issue with other than saying I wish they'd scored, which they do too. It breaks my heart that the first thing I thought when each of them missed was how much abuse they're going to get on social media. Anyone who did or does that can f### off for me, I don't want to share anything with those people, they embarrass me and I despise them. Same for the morons before and after the game. Its time for a sea change in mentality for some people cos our society is in danger of being ruined by idiots. This has to come from the top down starting with Boris. That's for another thread in a another section though. 

What a ride to the final, remember the good stuff from that and look forward to the next one with a young team that has a chance to learn and improve. We were so close, we'll do it eventually I honestly believe

Looking forward to Mason Greenwood sitting on the bench at the world Cup as well and never getting on. 

Exciting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

I think if you get all the way to the final of the Euros without playing France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium and Italy you’ve been extraordinary lucky with the draw.

Yes we beat Germany, but it’s a really poor German side playing without a recognized striker and recalling previously ‘retired’ players.

It took extra time and the world’s softest penalty to squeeze past an ordinary Danish side. 

Just like the last WC, as soon as England faced a legit side, they failed.

Southgate has been extraordinarily lucky in the knockout draws he’s had in the last two tournaments…and yet we’ve still failed. 

I don't agree with this, we had a brilliant competition and if we played against Italy the way we did v anyone else in the knockouts we would have steamrolled them, like we did for the goal. The only reason we lost is because we invited them to get back into the game.

• Like 1

I’m still fuming at the use of our subs.  Constant reference to the quality on the bench but we don’t use it.  Should have been 3 changes at the start of extra time.  Use the fresh legs.  Make something happen.  

Such a wasted opportunity.  Southgate is such a coward. 

He got the job by accident not merit and has managed to throw away 2 unbelievable chances now and he’s secured himself for 2022 and 2024. 😔

• Like 1

Southgate made such a b0ll0cks of the substitutions that he almost failed to get them on the pitch at all.

He ended up taking 2 defensive players off for Rashford and Sancho when we were defending a corner in the 120th minute ffs.

To then expect 2 young players to step up and take a penalty without being involved in the game (I’m not even sure that Sancho even touched the ball?) is criminal. No blame at all on the players apart from the experienced pros who let it happen., the blame lies with the manager.

Edited by BIG D
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Southgate made such a b0ll0cks of the substitutions that he almost failed to get them on the pitch at all.

He ended up taking 2 defensive players off for Rashford and Sancho when we were defending a corner in the 120th minute ffs.

To then expect 2 young players to step up and take a penalty without being involved in the game (I’m not even sure that Sancho even touched the ball?) is criminal. No blame at all on the players apart from the experienced pros who let it happen., the blame lies with the manager.

Absolutely.  

I’m getting angry thinking about it.   

Move on 😀

• Haha 1

I’m still angry at the choice of pen takers 

Rashford, who has been out of sorts all season, and at times has looked visibly depressed, should not be taking a pen in a euro championship final, a tournament he’s played no part in, regardless of whether he said he’s up for it 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1