Euro 2021

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't agree with this, we had a brilliant competition and if we played against Italy the way we did v anyone else in the knockouts we would have steamrolled them, like we did for the goal. The only reason we lost is because we invited them to get back into the game.

Thats exactly my point.

Its one think knocking away the likes of Ukraine and Denmark, but beating major European powers to win is a different matter.

Even against an average German side we got away with it. We went super defensive and should have been behind but for Pickford’s performance 

Then after 60 mins or so it changed and we got on the front foot and never looked back. This was a Germany team that got toyed with by France, incredibly lucky v Portugal and barely scraped past Hungary. 

That front foot play last night never happened last night because Southgate bottled it. 

Clearly shown by the fact that he didn’t bring barely any of his attacking players until deep, deep into the game.

Just like the last World Cup Southgate has proven himself as a good manager at dispatching teams he should beat and completely inept in the big moments.

• Like 3

Only watched the last 15 minutes and extra time but followed it on the BBC sports app. According to that, he went from 4 at the back to 5 as soon as England scored.

Southgate press conference was on ITV just now. Geez he could put a glass eye to sleep

• Like 1

Gutted to have lost, but even more gutted about some of the scenes around Wembley before, during and after the match. 

We have some absolute w@nkers in this country, don't we? 

• Like 6

Determination and passion got us to the final. If we hadn’t played Ukraine and Denmark I don’t think we would have seen it. That’s not a criticism, but more of an appreciation that we reached our ceiling with Southgate who is only capable of so much. 

3 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Hooliganism is for the mentally ill, anyone who kicks off in any way during the football match isn’t mentally stable and shouldn’t have a ticket in the first place. 

Too many numpties in this country who have no idea of consequences to their action. 

They literally think they can do what they want, when they want and don't give a throw about who they may hurt in the process. 

I went to a couple of pubs before watching the match at my mates. Saw young lads and women trying to walk into pubs with bottles of alcohol in their hands. One woman was kicking off at the bouncer because they wouldn't let her in brandishing a whole bottle of rum. How thick and entitled are some of these people? 

Given what happened in other places with violence and ticketless fans, it was pretty tame, but still. 

• Like 1

I liked Rice’s gutsy performance before he was taken off. He did quite well in breaking up that Italian counter play. 

Looking back at the game, I think it was Rice, maybe Walker, that did Chiesa. Maybe lucky that he wasn’t sent of. 

Rice would have got the MOM for me, had he stayed on, instead it rightly went to one of the old men. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Too many numpties in this country who have no idea of consequences to their action. 

They literally think they can do what they want, when they want and don't give a throw about who they may hurt in the process. 

I went to a couple of pubs before watching the match at my mates. Saw young lads and women trying to walk into pubs with bottles of alcohol in their hands. One woman was kicking off at the bouncer because they wouldn't let her in brandishing a whole bottle of rum. How thick and entitled are some of these people? 

Given what happened in other places with violence and ticketless fans, it was pretty tame, but still. 

I think big occasions like this give depressed people that relief in their lives and they don’t know how to channel all the emotion they get from it 

Some horrific scene on video. There’s even videos of people drinking and openly sniffing coke. For those that may be interested, taking coke and alcohol together causes the liver to produce an enzyme called ‘cocaethylene’ which can have a devastating impact on the self and the others around them.   If people insist on using, only use one or the other. 

We’re a nation that large swathes of the population feel a sense of self entitlement to do what we want with consequences not even given a second thought. The war time rhetoric is regularly cranked up as well as a nation that throws all its inhibitions in the bin when drinking as much ‘as you can’ mode. 

Where does that come from?

Saying that, we have more good, decent people, in this country, who help those disenfranchised and left behind, whether it’s the NHS, charity and the ordinary fella just trying to help. 

Edited by M Royds
  • Like 2

Rice was brilliant last night. Our best player by a mile before he came off.

This morning i’m still so disappointed in our reluctance to change it at half time. For me, that’s when we lost the game. We’d sat far too deep for the last 25 mins of the first half - everyone could see it. The back 3 had become a back 5. 11 men behind the ball. Pulis stuff really, and it encouraged the Italians back into the game (let’s not forget how out-of-sorts they were for the first 20 mins when we pressed them). 

To come out after 15 mins in a dressing room together and do the exact same stuff to start the second half…mindless and naive.

• Like 1

Grealish has hit back at critics for him not taking a pen.

Said he wanted to take one but Southgate made the decisions.

Bad decision in my opinion. He should have been one of the 5 to take one, before Saka at least. 

• Like 1