BREAKING - CHANSIRI STATEMENT

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

i do totally understand the people saying it's yet more smoke and mirrors, hot air hosepipe up the 'arris kinda thing.

I'm not clapping him, I'm bloody fuming. About all of it. We've been badly mismanaged top to bottom for 4+ years.

I *do* genuinely think his heart is in the right place, but I equally belive that's not enough to make it ok. I'm angrymad.

BUT, that said, I like a lot of what he's said in the statemement because it directly addresses some of the stuff he's only previously alluded to in the vaguest terms, or shoved under the rug completely. It says to me that he does have enough of a shred of humility to at least understand where the issues lie. I do think there is a SLIM chance he's learning on the job, and it will get better.

Moreover, I don't see where our next best option lies. That's the real crux of it for me. There are far, far worse owners out there - ours is naive as hell, and it's cost us badly, but he's not evil. Loads of them are total scum, wouldn't-wazz-on-them-on-fire sort of millionaires.

Obvioulsy the statement doesn't go nearly far enough, and yes of course it's full of platitudes, and likely not written by him directly but heavily 'massaged' by our increasingly brilliant PR squad. No statement from an owner in our situation ever will be good enough, Thai pride or English stubbornness, makes no odds. These lads don't get where they are by broadcasting their own frailties.

Nevetheless, it doesn't go out without his say-so, and it's pretty humble considering. He could've been far less emotive and still ticked the requisite boxes.

I, like many, think it's probably a load of smoke up the hole in an emergency. But IF it's genuine, I think there's reason to be optimistic about how we'll be set up in L1 compared to most of our rivals in that very small-time division. And that's not nothing.

In a very weird way, I am looking forward to the rebuild, and to next season, and the one after, etc etc. You couldn't write SWFC as a soap opera, and that's why I'll never look away.

BUT

We shouldn't' have needed a rebuild

We should never have got relegated

We shouldn't have not paid our players on time when in a relegation scrap

AND...

This is the most important thing

Anything and everything the chairman is promising in that statement tonight could have been done in the last 5 years and could especially have been done THIS season

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, legendaryswan said:

His first foray into the transfer market should be one of the Brentford recruitment team,and make him head of recruitment here and give him all the support he needs.

Then wave bye bye to paxo and steve bruces  old mob.

That should be his first job when he gets out of bed tomorrow morning and the first steps to recovery.

Or even Barnsley, much as it hurts me to say

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

You could ask for a bit more substance. We have a plan.... Go on then elaborate to fill us with confidence on this so called plan. Until we see that it's just wibble.... Again. 

Exactly, share this plan, show us what's going to change, tell us your getting rid of advisors who have been proved to be unsuccessful, tell us our ticket prices are going to be realistic, get sponsors on board and fill executive boxes and hire people capable of delivering this plan.

• Like 1

Just now, @owlstalk said:

BUT

We shouldn't' have needed a rebuild

We should never have got relegated

We shouldn't have not paid our players on time when in a relegation scrap

AND...

This is the most important thing

Anything and everything the chairman is promising in that statement tonight could have been done in the last 5 years and could especially have been done THIS season

I agree. I don't think any of those very valid points negate what I said in my post, but yeah you're totally right.

2 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

Chansiri's used his immense business acumen to buy a new house in England

image.png.c0b18ad9dd587e189a1813166cb44263.png

To be fair I'd rather live there just as long as I didn't have to watch Westwood's positioning ever again lol

9 minutes ago, edmontonowl said:

If it were written days ago then we should all know what priority he gave us. Nowt

Why wouldn't he be doing his damdest to at least show he supported his players, you know, like paying 'em on time and in full

He's a businessman, and as such will understand contingency plans.   

I should probably have said I expect there were two statements written before today.

• Haha 3

The only good thing he has done is to keep chucking his cash into the club. Without his money the club would presumably gone into administrstion/liquidation. 

I don't thank him for it as he has mistakenly prolonged the agony. He should have sold 18 months ago when the club might have been worth buying. Now it's worth diddly squat. He won't get more than a quid for it. 

Hopefully some entrepreneur/s will buy it off him and appoint a proper management team and let them get on with it. 

It's our only hope. 

Whatever sort of statement he put out was always going to be a damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t sort of thing.

As statements go it’s a decent one but that very much depends if you’re willing to give him a chance to change or you want him to sell ASAP.

FWIW I thought the signs of change started to show once he went out and paid compensation for an already employed manager.

Also the type/profile of manager is different to recent managers as in someone who likes to play passing football and work with and improve players particularly younger players.

Only time will tell but if he doesn’t sell then we have to hope this relegation tells him in order to progress the club he has to change past practices. The turning point comment could well allude to this?

• Like 1

Chansiri signing off on a statement that one of our media team prepared does not a statement from Chansiri make.

Until he comes out with a clear strategy and business plan I'm taking this with a dumpster full of salt. 

Because he won't because he doesn't know how and in 12 months time when we're at best mid table league 1 we will see some other nonsense being spouted that doesn't actually say anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

It’s a good statement, probably the best I’ve seen him make tbf

But talk is cheap, so either make it right with action or clear off

It says nothing. It can’t be anybody else’s responsibility can it? He had to cough to that. But there was no detail re what went wrong and no detail on how it can be put right. It’s meaningless.

He may have plans. He may know what went wrong. But this statement reveals neither and any of you who are satisfied with it - I have a bridge for sale if you want one. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TaxiMark said:

We said this about this season and got relegated though ....now in 12 months I dread to think.

If we had tyre kickers like Derby this season or next it would only make it harder. Need some certainty unless we

get someone with loads of money and the right attitude which will not just crop up over night as Mel Morris has just found out.

2 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

He's a businessman, and as such will understand contingency plans.   

I should probably have said I expect there were two statements written before today.

Businessman? 

That's a myth. The saying used to be that he was a successful businessman. Now he's been relegated to a businessman. 

Should be reported to trading standards for impersonating a businessman. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bluesteel said:

If we had tyre kickers like Derby this season or next it would only make it harder. Need some certainty unless we

get someone with loads of money and the right attitude which will not just crop up over night as Mel Morris has just found out.

Best bet in short term would be structured change. Let someone else run the place and have DC write the cheques. Possibly wishful thinking also.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris Apolon said:

Chansiri signing off on a statement that one of our media team prepared does not a statement from Chansiri make.

Until he comes out with a clear strategy and business plan I'm taking this with a dumpster full of salt. 

Because he won't because he doesn't know how and in 12 months time when we're at best mid table league 1 we will see some other nonsense being spouted that doesn't actually say anything.

It's similar to all his other statements (apart from the Carlos one which I've still not finished reading, he was definitely 4 grey gooses* deep), it's from him whether you like it or not. 

But yes definitely agree he needs to update sharpish with a clear strategy. Will he? Who knows.

*the drink