Which players in the squad deserve a starting spot next season?

Guest domSWFC

12 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Does anybody actually think Bannan will be here next season?

Fair play to him signing a new contract as it means we will get something for him.

He will have insisted on a clause saying he can leave for a set amount if we were relegated. He aint going to be playing in the pub league next season. 

• Like 2

how do you answer a question like that when you dont who is going to replace them .........i  probably wouldnt have kept  rudi,atherton,nolan,etc etc but when you replace them with the likes of hendon , maddix ,lescott etc etc  you think are these lads better  ......a  more pertinent  question would be is moore the man to get better players in and will he be allowed to.... 

• Like 1

If I get my wish and Hutch and Westwood both sign new deals and Bannan decides to stick around (unlikely I know) I think that with Westwood in goal and a three of Hutch, Dunkley and Iorfa (due to his injury he might not get interest from other clubs) just in front of him, would be as solid as anything in the division.

I think Hunt, Bannan, Luongo and Dele-Bashiru are a decent base for us to build a midfield.

I also think Paterson and Windass would be a decent front paring in the third division as well.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If I get my wish and Hutch and Westwood both sign new deals and Bannan decides to stick around (unlikely I know) I think that with Westwood in goal and a three of Hutch, Dunkley and Iorfa (due to his injury he might not get interest from other clubs) just in front of him, would be as solid as anything in the division.

I think Hunt, Bannan, Luongo and Dele-Bashiru are a decent base for us to build a midfield.

I also think Paterson and Windass would be a decent front paring in the third division as well.

That back 4 will either be injured, suspended or sat at home tucking into the Christmas leftovers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

That back 4 will either be injured, suspended or sat at home tucking into the Christmas leftovers.

Some people just dont learn. Its hard enough getting KW to play as it is when hes on 30k a week so god knows how people think he will sign a L1 contract. Unless of course they think its a good idea to simply extend it and have the worlds highest paid third tier goalkeeper on our books.

Hutchinsons legs went years ago, hes absolutely miles off the pace of championship football but I suppose as we will be in L1 that wont matter. Again however a player on high wages, old, crap and who no other championship team would touch and yet our fans yearn for him like a teenage boy thats been dumped for the first time.

Dunkley was signed injured, and has been injured ever since.

Ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Really can’t see Bannan being with us next season, in the right team he’s way too good a player for L1.

And it would show very little ambition if he actually wanted to stay and play in L1.

Next seasons squad will look very, very different.

I'd say nobody deserves a starting spot next season. If you get relegated I'm not sure you can say anyone deserves anything. There are some that will no doubt still be here next season but I'd say starting spots are up for grabs when players get back for pre-season training.

Much of it will be determined by any sort of embargo. If we’re in it then expect many of this season’s flops to be present next season, if they don’t get deals elsewhere. Followed by the standard “ I never wanted to leave this great club “ rounduns. 
The biggest hope is that we’re not embargoed. 

Ignoring the obvious that we don't know what we can afford and which if any of our players are wanted by any other clubs, but playing the game for the sake of it.

Keep Westwood as he is the best keeper on the books, Iorfa is a no brainer for his athleticism. Hutchinson and Borner can play football and also have enough battle in them for the lower division. Hutchinson as could be seen when he returned was slightly better in midfield than the others but always wants to win the ball and make a tackle so use him at CB. Luongo is never going to be as good in a holding role but might be better suited to the 1st division so another keep. If Odubajo is fit he is a better player than Palmer in both directions. Windass if fully motivated should be ok, Patterson is rough and ready but lacks control so I'm unsure.

Not seen enough of Galvin, Waldock and Brennan but if cheap then have a further look.

Green looks to have something about him but along with FDB I'm not sure. 

Dunkley if fully fit is aggressive  and could play a captains role perhaps, Urhoghide whilst still raw is another ball hunter (Iorfa can be too) but a keep, of all the players I watched for the under 18's and 23's he put in the most effort and deserved his chance.

Hunt for me is a clone of Bannan and although good with the ball and easy on the eye again too lightweight  and on balance not going to get us playing a different type of style.

Rhodes with the correct service and played from the start has the ability but not if we retain a long ball style in which case a rugged hold up man is required.

• Haha 2

I think (not certain) the players in contract players for next season are;

GK

Cameron Dawson - Unlikely to get offers until January for him (if he proves fitness). Probably be our No.1 next season.

Joe Wildsmith - Unlikely to get offers. Gone downhill  - L1 back-up

Defence

Julian Börner - May get offers for him - I recall reading that his plan was to do three years abroad then go back home, suspect he may stay. Solid in League 1

Liam Palmer - Likely get offers for him. Solid in League 1.  LIKELY TO GO

Dominic Iorfa - Unlikely to get offers until January for him (if he proves fitness). Amazing in League 1

Chey Dunkley - Unlikely to get offers until January for him (if he proves fitness). Good in League 1

Midfield 

Barry Bannan - Likely to get offers for him. Very good in League 1. LIKELY TO GO

Massimo Luongo - Unlikely to get offers until January for him (if he proves fitness). Good in League 1

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru -Unlikely to get offers - Good L1 squad player, if he develops.

Sam Hutchinson - Good squad player for League 1, covering midfield and CB.

Attacking Midfield/Wide

Callum Paterson - Likely to get offers for him. Good in League 1 LIKELY TO GO

Josh Windass - Likely to get offers for him. Good in League 1 LIKELY TO GO

Andre Green - Unlikely to get offers until January for him (if he proves ability). Good in League 1

Strikers

Korede Adedoyin - No Idea

From that accounting for likely leavers and fitness, the first team needs-

A new No.1,  2 RBs, 2 LBs, a CB, 2CMs, 3 AMs, 3 proper forwards.

Good luck Darren