Which players in the squad deserve a starting spot next season?

Guest domSWFC

It’s obviously all dependent on finances.

The big issue for me and it’s highlighted in this thread is that you could make an argument for most of our squad in league one. When the reality most haven’t been good enough for a couple of seasons.

Get some experience in at the back. Pace, power, athleticism and desire have been gravely lacking in this side so that’s should be a priority imo.

There will be plenty of youngsters leaving on frees or going for nominal fees from the prem. Also players will be loaned. I hope we’ve done our homework and have been scouting thoroughly as there are loads of unpolished gems to be found.

With the right coaching and game time we could potentially be a good club for young players.

We have a great opportunity to start over and build something from scratch (all be it in league one). Problem is you just know we will blow it.

To pick out a few we should keep:

I would definitely keep Palmer, he's performed well these past few weeks, rarely injured, can play RB, LB or wing-back. Would struggle to hold down a place in a top end Championship team but would be really handy in L1.

Windass has really kicked on under Moore, I think the previous tactics didn't suit him, but now we're actually getting the ball to our attackers in good positions we're starting to use his pace a lot more. Just ban him from taking free kicks.

Bannan is obviously our best player and we aren't going to get out of League One by hoofing it, as there are lots of teams better than us at that. Can we afford to keep him? Would he want to stay if a decent club came in for him? Not sure - but he's going to be really hard to replace so we should do everything we can.

Importantly, all three don't seem to be injury prone - we really need to try and move on a few of the crocks still under contract if we can, and any players we sign have to be fit. Going back to the three Scots under Danny Wilson and beyond - in recent times, Abdi, Urby, Luongo, van Aken, Dunkley, etc. we've got an embarrassing record when it comes to signing crocks.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 13:48, domSWFC said:

Obviously there isn't many that have shown the desire or talent to play in Championship (some haven't shown they should be professional footballers)

For me, the only ones I'd like to see in our starting 11 next season are (if fit):

Dunkley

Iorfa

Bannan

In League One, I think Rhodes and Reach could be dangerous players, but I just feel the squad would could be improved and have better balance if their wages were spent improving the squad.

Reach couldn't handle the rough and tough of league 1 and Rhodes is a spent force imo. 

Jose Semedo was fantastic for us in league 1, but couldn't really step up to the championship.

I've been no fan of Joey P, not due to his commitment to the cause, he just lacks a bit technically, similar to Semedo. JP could be valuable to us in league 1.

Harris,kuchunga,,odabajo,van aken, penney ,hunt shouldn't be offered new deals .....rhodes,reach,hutch,Lees ,westwood, need to take  a massive hit on wages if they hope to stay which I doubt they'd do . ... I'd  offer joey, osaze a contract the other young  ones I havnt really seen so dont know ......those in contract I'd try and shift luongo ,wildsmith,borner  but doubt that anyone would take them on the wages there probably on here .....do that then let whoever  is the manager try and gell together a squad with what's left with the addition of some freebies and loans  without  interference from anyone.

Yeah I think most are in agreement that no one really deserves a contract to stay on,  Urhoghide does but he will definitely be off. 
And as above Pelupessy would be a good squad player in league 1. 

Otherwise let them all go and see what bids we get for the likes of Bannan, Windass and Paterson from champ clubs - only accepting offers that make us a profit or helps us be more financially stable.  

Free transfers and loan signings needed, but hopefully if we somehow get a little spending money make sure it’s on young and highly rated players like Brentford did. 

We need to address the wage structure, we cant keep on paying silly money in the pub league its been a millstone.

Those that DM sees fitting into his future plans should be offered deals under a new sustainable structure,those who dont can easily be replaced a division lower.

12 hours ago, deano said:

Jose Semedo was fantastic for us in league 1, but couldn't really step up to the championship.

I've been no fan of Joey P, not due to his commitment to the cause, he just lacks a bit technically, similar to Semedo. JP could be valuable to us in league 1.

But isn't Pelupessy on about £8k a week? If we are looking for someone who can do a job in League One, isn't the average wage about £2-3k a week. So for me it depends if he's willing to play for a League One wage.

I would wonder if we could get by with Hunt and Waldock on much lower wages as cover for that position, especially if the money we saved could be spent on keeping someone like Windass, who I think would be harder to replace.

Guest Andy W
On 18/04/2021 at 13:48, domSWFC said:

Obviously there isn't many that have shown the desire or talent to play in Championship (some haven't shown they should be professional footballers)

For me, the only ones I'd like to see in our starting 11 next season are (if fit):

Dunkley

Iorfa

Bannan

In League One, I think Rhodes and Reach could be dangerous players, but I just feel the squad would could be improved and have better balance if their wages were spent improving the squad.

None of them

I'm in the keep Bannon if possible camp. The rest meh........Iorfa good player but injury prone, Luongo haven't seen enough of but may be ok if fit ,Urgo maybe, none of the rest please.

Need to start from scratch and let Moore build his team. The likes of Palmer, Lees, Westwood, Hutch thanks but your time has passed assume on expensive contracts for L1.

But it's for Moore to decide, he knows L1 he's had a good look at our team as it is and I'm certain knows already who he's keeping and who he'd want to replace and more important who he'd want to replace them with! 

I trust the Gaffer.

It's DC I have a a lack of trust in!