Which players in the squad deserve a starting spot next season?

Guest domSWFC

Guest domSWFC

Obviously there isn't many that have shown the desire or talent to play in Championship (some haven't shown they should be professional footballers)

For me, the only ones I'd like to see in our starting 11 next season are (if fit):

Dunkley

Iorfa

Bannan

In League One, I think Rhodes and Reach could be dangerous players, but I just feel the squad would could be improved and have better balance if their wages were spent improving the squad.

Three games in a season dunkley? Nah. Get shut. 
Bannan iorfa and urgihide. Westwood and hutch  if they take big pay cuts. 
nOt sure any of the rest want to be here or if we want them to be here. Or if they are good enough for a promotion push. League one is more about commitment than skill. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Three games in a season dunkley? Nah. Get shut. 
Bannan iorfa and urgihide. Westwood and hutch  if they take big pay cuts. 
nOt sure any of the rest want to be here or if we want them to be here. Or if they are good enough for a promotion push. League one is more about commitment than skill

And about building a team of players. As long as DC and his henchmen are in charge of building our squad, I think we're as good as foooked.

• Like 2

I expect Moore to line up with a 4231 formation next season. I don’t see how Bannan fits into this. You want your first choice attacking 4 all to be scoring at least 10-15 goals and Bannan will score no where near that, he’ll be lucky to score 5.

Expecting our first choice 11 to have only 3 or 4 of our current squad in it.

• Like 3

Trouble is anyone in the current squad who is good enough to start next season will probably be sold anyway. I think Windass, Bannan, Paterson, Iorfa (if fit) will all be flogged. Even the likes of Penney, Palmer, Urhoghide will probably be gone. Mass exodus is coming our way. 

20 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

I think Palmer, Iorfa, Urhughide (if he signs) Hutch, Bannan, Luongo (if fit) Paterson and Windass will all play big parts next season. 

I agree, I’d also like to see FDB and Adedoyin given more game time next season with a 3-4 of the youngsters drafted in to the squad. 
We need a new first choice GK, LB, couple of wingers and a striker and then maybe 3-4 back ups. Either Dawson or Wildsmith as number 2 and the other released.

That gives us a squad of around 24 for next season - as long as everyone can stay fit then that should be enough.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

You want your first choice attacking 4 all to be scoring at least 10-15 goals...

"At least" !? :ohmy:

Really?

So the minimum standard is that just 4 members of the squad would contribute enough goals on their own for the team to be averaging at least one per game?

It would be really interesting to see just how often this happens. Off the top of my head I suspect we might have done it once in the last 40 years or so (back in the days of Tudgay, Burton, MacLean and Brunt). Even in 1992/3 when we played 73 games and were actually very good we couldn't do it. I did take the time to look up that team who are dominating the Premier League and who with their regular squad rotation ought to be better placed than most to achieve this. With only a handful of games left, someone who used to be more of a deeper midfielder is the only player they have in double figures in the league.