For those that talk smack about Bannan

The only reason he gets slated is because he’s the only player in that team with an ounce of creativity and when it doesn’t come off he’s the first to be criticised. 

If by some Miracle he stays with us next season he will tear up league one no questions asked.

• Like 1

Just now, Sefton owl said:

The only reason he gets slated is because he’s the only player in that team with an ounce of creativity and when it doesn’t come off he’s the first to be criticised. 

If by some Miracle he stays with us next season he will tear up league one no questions asked.

Finally the Bannan cavalry have arrive to back me up!

He's as culpable as the rest

A so called driving force in our midfield that musters an assist every 6-7 games and a goal every 18-19 games.

You could argue its because of how he plays, he drops deep etc but then that is detrimental to both him and ourselves

He's a good player, not doubting that, he just doesn't fit how we set up and what we need. On his day against a weak team, or ones that afford him space, normally he's been great, pull the strings however he's been found wanting this season (as have many others)

There are much more dynamic midfielders in this league and beyond that would provide a much better platform for us

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

He's as culpable as the rest

A so called driving force in our midfield that musters an assist every 6-7 games and a goal every 18-19 games.

You could argue its because of how he plays, he drops deep etc but then that is detrimental to both him and ourselves

He's a good player, not doubting that, he just doesn't fit how we set up and what we need. On his day against a weak team, or ones that afford him space, normally he's been great, pull the strings however he's been found wanting this season (as have many others)

There are much more dynamic midfielders in this league and beyond that would provide a much better platform for us

Good post. I thought giving him a new contract was a good move.

With hindsight, he’s contributed to this mess by what you’ve highlighted - an assist every 6/7 games and a goal every 18/19 games as a ‘driving force’ in our midfield. 

Regardless of whose around him, that just ain’t good enough 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I think on his day Bannan is a baller

BUT

Like everyone else on that pitch against Rotherham he was garbage.

All those who think he's going to rip it up in League one might be surprised,

we stuck a league one team last night and he did nothing.

Bannan is a good little player.

Our best "footballer" 

But his best performances (and I mean his actual best rather than when he's been best on the pitch which is a different thing)  were when he was surrounded by other intelligent footballers.

His best , for me , was when he was playing alongside players like Lee and Lopez. 

For me, and it's only my opinion, Bannan excels the  most when he's cog in the engine and not the gear stick.  

While ever we don't have players with the same game intelligence he'll not reach his weekly match potential. 

If we don't sign more players to fit a system and style that suits him, then I don't think it would be bad to cash in of the right offer came. 

Good players are good players and will shine on occasion because of their ability.  They need the right environment to really shine. 

Fair play to Barry for committing to the club. But in terms of his football I don't think it's the best for him. And without being able to invest in other football brains...perhaps not the best for us. 

He is the only player we have capable of keeping the ball when surrounded by 2 or 3 opposition players. Most of the rest can't keep the ball when there is no-one within 10 yards of them

He looks worse because he tries to do everything himself but he has very little choice but to try to do it all himself. I'm as critical as anybody about his shooting in particular but at this level we should be surrounding him with players that can protect him and make runs for him to find.

Our movement is shockingly non existent most of the time so I'm sure this builds pressure whenever he tries to find a pass. As many others have said Barry Bannan is not the problem. if we had other players that were capable of receiving and protecting the ball under pressure he and the team would look much better.

I feel sorry for Bannan. He's obviously bothered, can see the limitations in the rest of the side and tries to take too much on himself. 

We are in desperate need for some quality midfield players to help him carry the load. 

Luongo looked promising but appears to be made of biscuits.

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Bannan never shies away from wanting the ball even in the toughest of games ♥️

I dont have a problem with him always wanting it, its how often he gives it away, where he picks it up,(so deep when he isnt the holding midfield player), so as a result we dont get a central midfield player in the box or running beyond the defence . We dont transition through the thirds quickly enough. 

Thirty three games this season , 2 goals both pens, !  successful pass percentage 75 %,  How many assists for our most creative valuable player?   .....................................................................................

Four !!!!!!! ******** four.An assist every 8/9 games !

whilst that waste of space ( according to most ) Harris has three assists from 24 games ( A higher percentage). and a successful pass rate of 77%.Harris gets us up the pitch , Bannan sits deep for a reason he simply isnt good enough to do it where a good creative player does it in the other teams half. He sits deep for a reason , he needs the time and space to play without being under pressure. 

For all the Bannan lovers, simple question Bannan or a Real decent central midfielder  K Lee !,  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, the mighty wednesday said:

He is the only player we have capable of keeping the ball when surrounded by 2 or 3 opposition players. Most of the rest can't keep the ball when there is no-one within 10 yards of them

He looks worse because he tries to do everything himself but he has very little choice but to try to do it all himself. I'm as critical as anybody about his shooting in particular but at this level we should be surrounding him with players that can protect him and make runs for him to find.

Our movement is shockingly non existent most of the time so I'm sure this builds pressure whenever he tries to find a pass. As many others have said Barry Bannan is not the problem. if we had other players that were capable of receiving and protecting the ball under pressure he and the team would look much better.

He cant find a pass because he is stood in our own third with two other holding midfield players a keeper and four defenders behind him.

So 8 of our 11 are so deep, we are easy to defend against, 

Get up the pitch, and support the wide players and forwards, 

• Like 1

Bannan is not the problem.

The problem is the players around Bannan.

He's gone from playing with Wallace, Lee, Hooper, Foriesteri, Fletcher, to Pelupessy, Harris , Reach , Kachunga, Paterson, Widnass.

A team that got us in the playoffs, to a relegation team.

De Bruyne wouldn't look good with those players around him.

28 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

I dont have a problem with him always wanting it, its how often he gives it away, where he picks it up,(so deep when he isnt the holding midfield player), so as a result we dont get a central midfield player in the box or running beyond the defence . We dont transition through the thirds quickly enough. 

Thirty three games this season , 2 goals both pens, !  successful pass percentage 75 %,  How many assists for our most creative valuable player?   .....................................................................................

Four !!!!!!! ******** four.An assist every 8/9 games !

whilst that waste of space ( according to most ) Harris has three assists from 24 games ( A higher percentage). and a successful pass rate of 77%.Harris gets us up the pitch , Bannan sits deep for a reason he simply isnt good enough to do it where a good creative player does it in the other teams half. He sits deep for a reason , he needs the time and space to play without being under pressure. 

For all the Bannan lovers, simple question Bannan or a Real decent central midfielder  K Lee !,  

Football simply does not lend itself to this kind of statistical pigeonholing in the way that a lot of people seem to assume it does. Attempting to analyse it with stuff like pass and cross completions and so on is joining randomly scattered dots to make a picture of your own choosing. Just by way of example, Bannan has 4 assists from our team's woeful output. Yet at Manchester City, where they score when they want, the assists in the Premier League (not including De Bruyne's 11) look like this...

5 Sterling

4 Mahrez

3 Foden, Jesus, Silva

2 Cancelo, Torres

1 Ederson, Gundogan, Rodrigo, Walker

What does all that prove for or against Bannan? Next to nothing really.

• Like 2