Sheffield Wednesday's best ever penalty takers?

21 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Name three of our best ever penalty takers

Surely Mel Sterland would be ini there?

Is that from the game against Wolves when Pressman put us 3:0 up in the shoot-out and we still managed to lose it?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Once saw Andy Blair score an hat trick of penalties

Just seen the thread and thought the same.

I remember him, Mark Smith and Sterland all being very good penalty takers. We did used to get a few back then, I wonder what changed?

I remember having to battle to stay on the Kop when we were losing 4-3 to Chelsea in the cup, as people started going for their buses and I was further back than normal. I nearly got swept off the back when Sterland got that last minute penalty and everybody pushed back on to see it! There was an old bloke next to me who couldn't see what was happening and he actually asked me if he had scored, while we were all leaping about and screaming as it hit the net. I just grinned and nodded as I rubbed his hat like a total nutter.

If only Big jack could sort out our contracts now!

From a BBC site.....Mel Sterland describes his fondest moment in his career.

“I got into the first team at Sheffield Wednesday and Jack Charlton was the manager. I told my dad that I was going to see him and he said, 'don’t be frightened, be positive, you’re in the first team.' The easiest thing to say.

“When I went to see Jack all I heard was 'come in' I opened the door and Big Jack had a flat cap on, smoking a cigarette and reading the paper.

Mel Sterland in 2008.

'What does t’want'

“I just said, nervous sweating and I just didn’t believe that I was in a room with him and I said 'errrm well how about £250 a week boss!'

"He dropped his cigarette, cap fell off and choked.

'What about signing that or get out.' Well that his what he said to those words anyway, that I can repeat anyway!

“Believe it or not, I signed it. I couldn’t wait to get out of that office. My contract was £50 a week and £60 appearance money. It was in the when you didn’t have an agent, it was a real experience.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Somebody somewhere must have a stat for penalties taken and penalties scored percentage for all our penalty takers.

I know in 1979/80 Mark Smith scored 11/13 penalties. His misses were against Chesterfield at home and Exeter away.

Im not sure if he missed 1 or 2 in 80/81 as I think Curran took penalties at some point that season.

Edited by sexpistol

3 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Somebody somewhere must have a stat for penalties taken and penalties scored percentage for all our penalty takers.

I know in 1979/80 Mark Smith scored 11/13 penalties. His misses were against Chesterfield at home and Exeter away.

Im not sure if he missed 1 or 2 in 80/81 as I think Curran took penalties at some point that season.

Curran missed a pen in my first ever game, which would have given him a hat trick.