Sheffield Wednesday's best ever penalty takers?

4 hours ago, OWL1969 said:

Best 3 regular takers I can recall were Smith, Sterland and McLean. 

Although the 2 recall Pressman taking were both unstoppable one top corner, one bottom corner, but hit equally powerfully. 

A strange Quirk for Blair's penalties  ( if my memory is correct) was he only took them against 2 teams and had very differing records.

His 1st was missed against QPR

3 scored in the same match against Luton

Then another miss again against QPR. 

I'm pretty certain he never took any others.

I'm sure if I'm wrong somebody will let me know.

I think Blair missed one in a night match away at Norwich.Was Stainrods debut I think who won the penalty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sexpistol said:

Which game was that?

Oldham, 14th Feb 1981. (40 years next week!)  We won 3-0, he scored twice but missed a late pen. Can't recall him taking any more after that, come to think of it I can't remember many other penalties at all in my first couple of years. Banno probably scored a few but he also missed two in a game at Wolves.

2 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I'll not spoil too much of the fun. The worry about Kevin Pressman is what if he hit the woodwork and the opposition broke away ?

But there was a left Back in the early 50's who hit them just as hard. WHAT WAS HIS NAME ?

That would be Norman Curtis. Obviously well before my time (but not yours!). I'd have loved to have seen him (or anyone) take a penalty in the style described in this article :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/norman-curtis-sheffield-wednesday-full-back-whose-thunderous-penalties-won-him-a-place-in-fans-hearts-1790063.html

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, alanharper said:

That would be Norman Curtis. Obviously well before my time (but not yours!). I'd have loved to have seen him (or anyone) take a penalty in the style described in this article :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/norman-curtis-sheffield-wednesday-full-back-whose-thunderous-penalties-won-him-a-place-in-fans-hearts-1790063.html

RIP Norman Curtis, Wednesday Legend. (A real One).

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Sheridan was decent.

Maclean never missed and Brunt used to smash them! Funnily enough, Nuhiu only missed one for us I think and scored about 10. 

11 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Thank God you were never our manager.

During the period after the prem, this would have been the most entertainment we gave our fans for years. Can’t see a problem with it myself. I also think I’d probably have been a better manager than the ones we had at the time 

• Haha 1

David (Bronco) Layne was on pens at the time. I'm too lazy at the moment to check whether this was a 5-2 or 5-4 victory for us.

Anyway, we had a Pen awarded and it fell to Bronco to convert. A run up from the edge of the area and absolutely nailed it. The ball smashed into Blackburn keeper Fred Else's face with such ferocity that it laid Else out cold and deprived him of a couple of teeth before ricocheting into the roof of the Leppings Lane net.

A bit of extra time there as poor old Fred Else took a good few minutes to recover.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

I think Blair missed one in a night match away at Norwich.Was Stainrods debut I think who won the penalty.

I may have got the team wrong then, maybe he missed 2 against Norwich and not QPR.  (Or 1 against each,) 

I'm pretty sure though, that he only scored those 3 all in the same match. 

22 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Mark Smith in the early 80s. I don't have the best memory but am I correct in saying that he scored 10 in a row then missed the next3?

A couple of side stories from the early 80's, Gary Bannister missing 2 penalties against Wolves - I remember it was a Tuesday night and I was listening to it on the radio.

Shout out for Andy Blair's hat-trick of penalties against Luton in the league cup - My uncle is a Luton supporter who saved the local newspaper report stating that Luton were cheated out of the game and should have won 2-1.

I got chucked out at that wolves game for swearing at a copper for grinning after Bannister missed the second 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/02/2021 at 17:41, Holmowl said:

Fletcher scored 6 out of 7. The 7th was a good firm wide shot saved. Never looked like missing with the others.

Hooper blasted his two home and the Ipswich keeper is still looking for his hand.

Bannan has 3 in 3 and (touch wood) looks very competent.

Three good takers there.

Makes you wonder why Bannan is so good with penalties but awful at corners and other set pieces.

8 hours ago, WMJ4ever said:

I remember Mel Sterland scoring one against Grimsby that nearly knocked Nigel Batch into the kop on the way into the back of the net. The thud of the kick, followed by the deafening roar of the kop... Great days...

This one? About 03:55 in the clip.