Sheffield Wednesday's best ever penalty takers?

On 11/02/2021 at 00:30, alanharper said:

That would be Norman Curtis. Obviously well before my time (but not yours!). I'd have loved to have seen him (or anyone) take a penalty in the style described in this article :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/norman-curtis-sheffield-wednesday-full-back-whose-thunderous-penalties-won-him-a-place-in-fans-hearts-1790063.html

Brilliant read that, cheers!

• Like 1

Regarding Mark Smith. It’s surprising that he didn’t continue his role as penalty taker into the 1980/81 season.

1979/80 he scored 10 on the bounce before missing one at home to Chesterfield. He then scored another at home to Gillingham before missing against Exeter.

You would think he deserved to continue the role the following season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andrew1974 said:

Have we had a penalty since Jack Hunt stuck his away?

It’s mad to think we haven’t had 1 penalty this season. All I can remember is we got one at Watford which then got overturned!

Just now, SwellOwl said:

It’s mad to think we haven’t had 1 penalty this season. All I can remember is we got one at Watford which then got overturned!

some way to go to break the record ,between 1964 -66 we went 81 games without getting one ......

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

some way to go to break the record ,between 1964 -66 we went 81 games without getting one ......

I remember reading that in the little Littlewoods pools booklet.  It must be a record. We were a good team then too.

Just proves that we never get penalties and refs are biased against us.

On 18/02/2024 at 17:58, andrew1974 said:

Have we had a penalty since Jack Hunt stuck his away?

Yes, we have been in two penalty shoot outs this season in the league cup. I don't think we have not been awarded a penalty though since Smiths vs Peterbrough.