Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

16 minutes ago, bigash_swfc said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/footballleagueworld.co.uk/celtic-make-breakthrough-in-hope-of-striking-sheffield-wednesday-transfer-agreement/amp/

My take; Celtic are interested, nothing is signed. Whatever he's been offered will hopefully be discussed with Chansiri.

Whatever they have offered him, and I guess it won't be daft money just yet.... can we not offer him £1k a week more and tie him down on a long term contract?

It will be more beneficial for him playing games in the shortrun at his hometown club, he will earn more money, we will get a good player, continuing to learn under the coach who brought him through and when he moves to a Premier League Club we (rather than Celtic) will get the £5 million, rather than a derisory £300k, so the short-term outlay on his wages will be more than reimbursed over time.

Any half-competent club would have realised this 3 months ago, but I'm clinging to the hope it is not too late.

11 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Whatever they have offered him, and I guess it won't be daft money just yet.... can we not offer him £1k a week more and tie him down on a long term contract?

It will be more beneficial for him playing games in the shortrun at his hometown club, he will earn more money, we will get a good player, continuing to learn under the coach who brought him through and when he moves to a Premier League Club we (rather than Celtic) will get the £5 million, rather than a derisory £300k, so the short-term outlay on his wages will be more than reimbursed over time.

Any half-competent club would have realised this 3 months ago, but I'm clinging to the hope it is not too late.

We need every boost we can get in this Championship run in, Chansiri sorting Shaws contract would be a very welcome boost.

We've seen it happen before though, at other clubs. Chansiri could take the 300k compensation to keep paying his contract obligations to Rhodes, Westwood and the team etc....

Liam Shaw is ours. One of our own. Extremely negligent to let him slip away.

1 hour ago, Flat Owl said:

Profligate waste.

Can’t believe a ‘successful businessman’ would allow this to happen [again].

It’s like a used car salesman letting all the MoTs expire, wondering why he’s skint and having to sell the show room...

He isn't successful. Never has been. He's a rich spoiled silver spoon get my way or no way cry baby. 

• Like 2

Cant see this personally,young kid,handfull of championship games jumps to champions league status,hes hardly stood out or scored goals for fun,sure hes got potential but its VERY early days in his development,hes hardly the first name on the teamsheet,wiffs a bit porky this rumour

1 hour ago, Dot said:

This thread is bizarre in that

a) Shaw hasn't signed for Celtic

b) pretty much every point is hypothetical 

To be fair, we are a expect the worse kind of bunch.

Unless we have just picked up 3 points, then the sky's the limit.

lol

2 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The Hirst comparisons are daft in my opinion.

Liam Shaw got his head down, worked hard and took his chance in the team when presented with it, doing well and standing out. He's earned his move, whether you think Celtic is a step up or not. It is by the way.

George Hirst believed his own hype, a hype given to him mostly off his surname. yeah he scored some goals at his own age level. So have many players, I see ex players all the time on twitter talking about "Joey Jones" or "Jacky Jacks" who no fan has ever heard of because they never made it at pro level. Not saying George Hirst will be that but I doubt he'll play at Premier League level, I think Shaw will.

I wish the lad luck, no time for Celtic but I don't blame Liam Shaw for deciding to leave and go and play in front of big crowds when they're allowed back in, Champions League and Europa League football as well. Wednesday fan or not, there's nothing to keep him here. Sad but true.

We must sign a player called Jacky Jacks. 

• Haha 1

If this is the case where he does go north, then good luck to him and this opens up numerous opportunities as mentioned in this thread for the development of his career. 

Yet again - for me the 6 P's come to mind for our inadequate owner. How many more have to go who in an ideal world would be a given a decent contract and incentive to continue their development. Will be interesting to see 1 - which league we play in next season. 2 - what happens to our 'names' who are due for renewal? 

The more frightening aspect is how far Chansiri is prepared to prolong this BS! Please just cut your losses and sell to someone who has an actual investment for our club and not just a fix because your son chose us because of our name on Football Manager (was that the case? - I stand corrected if not so) Anyway Sunday rant over. 

Stay safe all - WAWAW

Guest LondonOwl313
2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

I want him to stay but think the suggestions the club should hand out long term contracts straight away to all youth players to be a bit wide of the mark. We did that with Dawson and Wildsmith.. Dawson is on decent money for 4 years with 3 years remaining and most people say he shouldn’t play again after Rotherham. Wildsmith looks ok but didn’t play a game for a couple of years and would have been released 2-3 years ago if he wasn’t on a 5 year contract.

If you’d asked people at the start of this season in September who our biggest prospect is they’d have said Alex Hunt or Penney. Not many would have picked out Shaw. When he broke in to the team under Pulis he did ok and held his own, but wasn’t outstanding and even got the early red against Reading and was out for 3 games.

So even as recently as two months ago consensus would have been that he’s ok, he’s a prospect, he’s worth another year and let’s see how he develops. The hyperbole started after he played well

and scored against Middlesbrough, and then the run and assist against Exeter. Nobody focuses on the close misses we had against Derby and Exeter where he gave possession away cheaply in dangerous areas because neither resulted in goals.

The bottom line is he’s a prospect who’s developing ok. He’s probably not the next Steven Gerrard which some people would have you believe reading this thread. In terms of timeline re contract renewal, I don’t think there’s much wrong with what the club has done because you need to be sure before offering them that they’re someone you want to keep long term.

Where the issue will be is on the money. Can imagine we’ve offered way less than market value given what’s going on with the wages right now. If we went in and offered him what he’s worth I think he’d stay irrespective that we’ve left it until

he’s 6 months from expiry 

16 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Great move for the lad. Fully expected when your boyhood club is a circus. No one can blame him or his attitude. 

Really?!? I think that moving to Scotland (these days) from the Championship (even if for Celtic or Rangers) is a backwards step... It's just a pub league now with either 1 of 2 teams guaranteed to win the cup/ league every year...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I want him to stay but think the suggestions the club should hand out long term contracts straight away to all youth players to be a bit wide of the mark. We did that with Dawson and Wildsmith.. Dawson is on decent money for 4 years with 3 years remaining and most people say he shouldn’t play again after Rotherham. Wildsmith looks ok but didn’t play a game for a couple of years and would have been released 2-3 years ago if he wasn’t on a 5 year contract.

If you’d asked people at the start of this season in September who our biggest prospect is they’d have said Alex Hunt or Penney. Not many would have picked out Shaw. When he broke in to the team under Pulis he did ok and held his own, but wasn’t outstanding and even got the early red against Reading and was out for 3 games.

So even as recently as two months ago consensus would have been that he’s ok, he’s a prospect, he’s worth another year and let’s see how he develops. The hyperbole started after he played well

and scored against Middlesbrough, and then the run and assist against Exeter. Nobody focuses on the close misses we had against Derby and Exeter where he gave possession away cheaply in dangerous areas because neither resulted in goals.

The bottom line is he’s a prospect who’s developing ok. He’s probably not the next Steven Gerrard which some people would have you believe reading this thread. In terms of timeline re contract renewal, I don’t think there’s much wrong with what the club has done because you need to be sure before offering them that they’re someone you want to keep long term.

Where the issue will be is on the money. Can imagine we’ve offered way less than market value given what’s going on with the wages right now. If we went in and offered him what he’s worth I think he’d stay irrespective that we’ve left it until

he’s 6 months from expiry 

You don't see Sean Clare ripping up the premiership these days... I think he's at Oxford now after being a good prospect for us... Even G Hirst is hardly pulling up tree stumps for Leicester/ Rotherham in terms of goals etc...

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

IMO 300k would be a great deal

I’d sell at that price regardless of whether or not the link is true

I certainly wouldn’t 

Not saying he is guaranteed to be a premiership player but he has a good chance 

• Like 1

We have an emerging young talent ,Who will be worth a lot of money in the future ,Who we are prepared to let go ,And we will probably sign someone ,Whose saleable value will be zilch ,And demand higher wages than Shaw . it does not make any sense at all .Offer Shaw 3 year contract ,With the clause if premier club comes in we will not stand in his way .Celtic are going to make a lot of Money on Shaw .

10 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

The fact weve been stung like this a 2nd time is proof we dont have a business strategy if we did this stuff wouldnt happen.

You look at contracts that are expiring at the start of a season,surely any player with 1st team potential you nail down early doors,but we just keep on letting our promising players leave on frees,is there any wonder DC has spent so much wonga,he could have recouped half of his spend by forward planning and putting in place a transfer policy.

The longer he stays here the more money hes going to lose,because hes just no business brain

Yeah but Sean Clare now plays for Oxford. Or something like that. That’s what we say to justify DC’s incompetency ain’t it?

18 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Imagine being lumbered paying Jordan Rhode massive bucks for 4 years though.

Imagine having Westwood and Hutchinson on massive wages being frozen out by two managers for the best part of a couple of seasons

• Like 2