Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

9 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

How do you know we didn't offer him a contract earlier?

They have no idea like every one else. Also a 19 yr old on 125,000 a year after a handful of games is poor, wow I wish.

Its really not before time that wage caps were put on players and given the current pandemic, surely that should be an urgent matter, in order to protect the future of all football clubs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

They have no idea like every one else. Also a 19 yr old on 125,000 a year after a handful of games is poor, wow I wish.

Its really not before time that wage caps were put on players and given the current pandemic, surely that should be an urgent matter, in order to protect the future of all football clubs.

Not a believer in wage caps but can see your point in the present climate

13 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

The horse has already bolted on that one,

FIFA or UEFA trying to implement wage caps would be signing their own death warrant

5 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

How much would you offer him and term ?

Not up to me is it? I’m not privvy to the wages of other first team players in comparison.

My point is we shouldn’t have let it got to this stage. If true offering him a 2k a week on a 1 year contract after he’s broke in, is ridiculous. Other clubs will blow us out of the water.

Ask yourself this. How much are we paying Pelupessy a week? Was he worth keeping on last summer? Instead of investing in Shaw - a player with potential and resale value. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

The idea is you offer them a new contract after they have played 5-10 games, even if just an 18 month extension, as then the increase in wages won't be too much but you've safeguarded the future of the player at the club. This would have been in November/Early December, especially before he got into the last 6 months of the contract.

Given Shaw himself said on the 4th of January that his agent was in negotiations with the club about his contract suggests this is not far from what actually happened. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

The horse has already bolted on that one,

FIFA or UEFA trying to implement wage caps would be signing their own death warrant

Dont think so , I think you will find it will back on the agenda before long, football finances are going to change rapidly in the next 2 years.

18 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

14 games for Wednesday as part of a poor side and people think a couple of grand a week is a derisory offer? This is one of the reasons I am getting fed up with football

Do we even have any evidence that was the offer, or is this something that has been said and is now taken as 'fact?'

9 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well I can't see it being less than that

Me either. Just wondering if those who see it as derisory have any evidence that this was the offer, or any evidence of what Celtic may be offering? 

46 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

Dont think so , I think you will find it will back on the agenda before long, football finances are going to change rapidly in the next 2 years.

Of course it will, any attempt at a wage cap will see the elite clubs leave the organisations and form their own stuff.

FIFA are already trying to stop this happening by releasing a statement by saying any player playing for teams not governed by them won't be allowed to play in World Cups, its already making headway, they know they're on borrowed time

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I’m not privvy to the wages of other first team players in comparison.

My point is we shouldn’t have let it got to this stage. If true offering him a 2k a week on a 1 year contract after he’s broke in, is ridiculous. Other clubs will blow us out of the water.

Ask yourself this. How much are we paying Pelupessy a week? Was he worth keeping on last summer? Instead of investing in Shaw - a player with potential and resale value. 

Your first sentence negates the rest of your post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Me either. Just wondering if those who see it as derisory have any evidence that this was the offer, or any evidence of what Celtic may be offering? 

No it's just speculation isn't it? We don't have much hard evidence that Celtic are actually in for him