Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

3 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Imagine having Westwood and Hutchinson on massive wages being frozen out by two managers for the best part of a couple of seasons

But don’t worry it’s just bad luck that Shaw could be going to Celtic for minimal compensation.

How on earth were Wednesday supposed to know a lad training with the first team who’s been at the club since he was a nipper was any good at football?

Just darn rotten luck! 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Its a terrible deal to offer a 19 year old breaking into the first team and playing well. 

I swear people on here have no clue how football works. You tie your bright young prospects down to longer contracts to aid their development. You take a calculated risk on potential. 

Come on then Pep . With your immense knowledge of how football works how much would you offer Liam Shaw at the present moment ?.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Come on then Pep . With your immense knowledge of how football works how much would you offer Liam Shaw at the present moment ?.

A deal that reflects his first team status. You can’t have some players in the squad on 30k a week and offer Liam Shaw 2k a week and expect him to accept it. 

8 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I want him to stay but think the suggestions the club should hand out long term contracts straight away to all youth players to be a bit wide of the mark. We did that with Dawson and Wildsmith.. Dawson is on decent money for 4 years with 3 years remaining and most people say he shouldn’t play again after Rotherham. Wildsmith looks ok but didn’t play a game for a couple of years and would have been released 2-3 years ago if he wasn’t on a 5 year contract.

The idea is you offer them a new contract after they have played 5-10 games, even if just an 18 month extension, as then the increase in wages won't be too much but you've safeguarded the future of the player at the club. This would have been in November/Early December, especially before he got into the last 6 months of the contract.

The Dawson case is different because I believe he got his lucrative new contract after 50 or so games. Most of us on here didn't think he should be first choice keeper at that time, but the manager at the time disagreed so I guess it made sense to him....

But I'm sure Dawson also got a smaller contract extension after he had played a handful of first-team appearances. We should do the same with Hunt, Urhoghide, Penney, and one or to others - to the end of the 2021/22 season, as whatever division we are in we will need them.

2 hours ago, McRightSide said:

IMO 300k would be a great deal

I’d sell at that price regardless of whether or not the link is true

Let's revisit this in 5 years time. My prediction is Shaw will be playing in the Premier League by then and 300k would be daylight robbery.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Yeah but Sean Clare now plays for Oxford. Or something like that. That’s what we say to justify DC’s incompetency ain’t it?

I don't know why anyone would refer to the way Clare was handled as proof of poor action by the club. Clare wanted more than we offered, we stood our ground, he moved on and now he cannot get a game for Oxford and has been loaned out to Burton. Should we have offered him what he wanted? We would have had a player that is struggling to cut it at League One level on a Championship wage.

We have seemingly acted too slowly in respect of Shaw, nothing Clare has done in the last 3 seasons suggests we got that wrong.  

12 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

The previous summer we should be offering him a new 2 year deal. We’d already had him out on loan.

Been as you are keen on arguing about what iffery..

What if he said I don't want a 2 year deal on them terms....my agent said you are ripping me off...I can get stax more elswhere..?

30 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Let's revisit this in 5 years time. My prediction is Shaw will be playing in the Premier League by then and 300k would be daylight robbery.

I tend to agree with this.

It's early days for Shaw, but the signs are there that he's head and shoulders above the other academy 'prospects' that have come through over the last decade or so. 

My worry with DC on this is two fold:

• He detached from the football side of the club; barely talking to the management, relying on his special advisor who may or may not be in a position to assess the value of Shaw to SWFC in the long-term. He may also not be an independent voice on the matter either.
  • DC will have watched GH's progress since the fall out 3 yrs ago. He might be thinking, see, he's not amounted to anything.
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

A deal that reflects his first team status. You can’t have some players in the squad on 30k a week and offer Liam Shaw 2k a week and expect him to accept it. 

I must be out of touch then because that’s exactly what I’d offer a 19/20 year old kid thats just broke into the first team, maybe stretch to £2500. Not many had heard his name until last few months, and if there’s a kid in the under 23’s tearing it up week in week out you get to hear about it. If the lad keeps up his progress and develops into a proper first team player then he’ll be paid to reflect that.

£10k a week 4 year deal now is just stupid.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WadsleyOwl said:

I must be out of touch then because that’s exactly what I’d offer a 19/20 year old kid thats just broke into the first team, maybe stretch to £2500. Not many had heard his name until last few months, and if there’s a kid in the under 23’s tearing it up week in week out you get to hear about it. If the lad keeps up his progress and develops into a proper first team player then he’ll be paid to reflect that.

Not having hype around him for the last few months is testicles.

You know it, I know it, players develop at different rates to one another. Let's stop with that nonsense

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WadsleyOwl said:

Unfortunately mate when you put a player in the first team when his contract is up and he plays well it attracts interest. His wage demands shoot up. 

Could all be avoided if we offered him a contract earlier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That’s not an answer to the question I asked.