Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

Surprised Celtic have had a free run at him tbh. If he does want out then I’m surprised a prem club haven’t offered a derisory bid just above compensation....unless thats exactly what they have done via Celtic. Shame really as he would have got his move to a big club playing as he was at the age he is anyway, but he could have done it in a way that didn’t stitch up his club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

Surprised Celtic have had a free run at him tbh. If he does want out then I’m surprised a prem club haven’t offered a derisory bid just above compensation....unless thats exactly what they have done via Celtic. Shame really as he would have got his move to a big club playing as he was at the age he is anyway, but he could have done it in a way that didn’t stitch up his club.

He’s not stitching anyone up 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Was George Hirst to blame for leaving the club ?   Between himself and his advisors he never had a single intention of staying,  Chansiri should have been a much stronger chairman and sold him at the opportunity he was presented with, I believe he didn’t for the same reason he never sold Forestieri , which for me was one of the biggest mistakes he’s made as owner 

Who knows what he’s thinking with Liam Shaws situation

Not what I heard, apparently Hirst was desperate to stay as he is/was a huge Wednesday fan. 

But Chansiri treated him as a kid, offered him development contract and demanded for club he would go on loan to to pay 100% of his wages. Then we didn't want to take him on Pre season tour or issue him with a squad number. 

Looking at all this, who in their right mind would turned Leicester down?! 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, malek said:

Not what I heard, apparently Hirst was desperate to stay as he is/was a huge Wednesday fan. 

But Chansiri treated him as a kid, offered him development contract and demanded for club he would go on loan to to pay 100% of his wages. Then we didn't want to take him on Pre season tour or issue him with a squad number. 

He was right though wasn’t he.. we had Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Forestieri, Nuhui, Rhodes and Winnall in front of him at the time. All of them would have scored if given 15 appearances for Rotherham though, something which Hirst hasn’t (well apart from maybe Rhodes)

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

He was right though wasn’t he.. we had Fletcher, Hooper, Joao, Forestieri, Nuhui, Rhodes and Winnall in front of him at the time. All of them would have scored if given 15 appearances for Rotherham though, something which Hirst hasn’t (well apart from maybe Rhodes)

Then again, Hirst is at least 10 Years younger than most of them, and I'm confident he will earn Leicester money in the future. Hard to write off player after 15 matches he played at pro level. 

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

Let’s be honest Liam Shaw won’t be playing in Europe anytime soon. If he signs for them I’ll be shocked if he plays even 10 total competitive games for Celtic next season.

Dembele had scored 15 goals in a full championship season for Fulham and was a France U21 cap, Van Dijk had played 50+ Eredivisie games and was a Netherlands U21 cap, Wanyama had played 50 Jupiler League games and had already played and scored for his country when he signed for Celtic. They are hardly the same.

I know you are a Celtic fan. How many players around Liam’s age, 19, with barely over a handful of appearances, have Celtic signed that have gone on to get those big moves?

Celtic are a huge club, I have no doubt financially it will be a great move for him, and IF he makes it, then yes it would be a great move for him.

I can understand Liam moving on, most players would in his position, and especially with the state our club is in, but the odds IMO are not stacked in his favour going to Celtic. It’s a gamble. And at his stage of his career he needs to be playing football regularly and learning his trade. He won’t get that at Celtic 

Shaltack are a huge club in Scotland...but Scotland’s a small place.

Sheffield United would beat them comfortably.

39 minutes ago, NOT jack whitham said:

Hillsborough..footballing backwater ?..top supporter.

Soz, TrueFan™.

:duntmatter:

Compared to Celtic, though?

Yeah, the following definition rings true as far as I can see:

'A place or situation in which no development or progress is taking place.'

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Yeah, the following definition rings true as far as I can see:

'A place or situation in which no development or progress is taking place.'

So you are saying he hasn't developed here?

weird how Celtic want him then isn't it if we haven't developed him

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't believe I was, no.

It was a comment on the state of the club as a whole.

It was a comment on the development of players, which I corrected you on..

You stated that, and I quote "'A place or situation in which no development or progress is taking place.'"

we signed him as an 8 year old and now Celtic want to sign him

is that development or not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dot said:

It was a comment on the development of players, which I corrected you on

No, it wasn't.

:duntmatter:

You 'corrected' me on something based on your misinterpretation, and now that's been explained to you, you're still sticking to it for some reason.

When I said: 'Compared to the footballing backwater that is Wednesday in 2021, Celtic Park is a much bigger stage on which to showcase your talent...', it was a comment on the state of the club, not Liam Shaw's career.

7 minutes ago, malek said:

Then again, Hirst is at least 10 Years younger than most of them, and I'm confident he will earn Leicester money in the future. Hard to write off player after 15 matches he played at pro level. 

The most regrettable thing is the game time that saga robbed him of. If that deal was done he'd have had potentially over 1 year's worth of English game time which would have aided his development no end. 

What can't be denied is that both sides were at fault and in the end his development suffered because of it.

His reaction to Rob Staton's pretty reasonable question about his SWFC exit came across as pretty arrogant and alludes to a pretty rambunctious character trait in the chap. Genuinely hope he comes good though.

32 minutes ago, malek said:

So you are saying that he was offered a derogatory contract with low wages but was offended because anyone he was loaned to had to pay the said derogatory salary. 
or did I misunderstand ? .

• Haha 1

Just now, sage owl said:

So you are saying that he was offered a derogatory contract with low wages but was offended because anyone he was loaned to had to pay the said derogatory salary. 
or did I misunderstand ? .

Looking at 1 year extension we offered to Shaw I'm led to believe it.