What Everton players have you admired?

Alex Young - played long before my time but with me being a Hearts fan too I met him and he was a gent and he is a proper legend. The word gets used a lot but he is idolised at both clubs and he was voted in their list of greatest ever players. Sadly died a few years ago.

Duncan Ferguson - an absolute ******** to play against but so effective. A shame he didn’t  played more for Scotland. Hard as nails and a proper centre forward.

Neville Southall - he was a top keeper. Made me laugh when Carlton Palmer beat him with that header from miles out at Goodison. He didn’t have a chance with it.

Andrei Kanchelskis - ridiculous pace and he could make things happen out of nothing. Tore us apart on a few occasions and at Man United too.

Tim Cahill - not many will say him but he was so consistent for them. Proper box to box midfielder. A player that nearly every team would love have to someone like that in their side.

Leighton Baines - he gets plaudits but even still, he is, and his career is massively underrated in my opinion. He was a top left back, a consistent 7 out of 10 player, Mr Reliable and the boy could hit a set piece. 

Everton are a club I have always liked and respected. I don’t support them but they’re my favourite team in the Premier League. No question. A proper football club, nice city, great fans, it’s such a shame we are too pish and don’t get to play them more often lol

• Like 2

The two Everton sides I really rated were the Kendall league-winning side of 1987 (1985 was just before my time) and Moyes' side of around 2004 or so.

From the first side, Big Nev, Trevor Steven and Peter Reid were superb; and Cahill, Gravesen, Baines and Yobo were fantasy football mainstays for me.

I'm excited / terrified about the prospect of James Rodriguez playing tonight - his World Cup goal (2014?) was one of the best 2-3 I've ever seen.

Southall, for a window was surely the best keeper in Britain.

If not Eurpoe

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Kevin Sheedys sweet left peg.

Absolute wand of a foot

Though I do recall once reading a match report, might have been the Green 'Un,  or even the Wednesdsy match programme which pronounced  that....

"Sheedy shít from the edge of the box."

Impressive stuff. 

The one that really sticks in my mind though was Kanchelskis.  Good at Manchester United,  but I seem to remember him having a short but sensational spell at Everton. Seemed to be scoring goals from the wing every week!

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

My favourite Everton player if all time is Mike Lyons! My hero as a kid!

But Everton players with no Wednesday link I would go for Dixie Dean his goalscoring record is unbelievable.

Tommy Lawton and Alan Ball as well.

have a book by tommy lawton (1946) ...evidently we wanted to sign him as a 16 year old amateur (you couldnt turn pro till 17) he asked the club to find him a job for a year and they offered 10 bob a week on the quiet ......he turned it down and the rest of his career is history ...

• Like 1