Jack Marriott returns to Sheffield Wednesday

3 hours ago, Jim said:

Not particularly bothered either way TBH. I suspect he’ll be used more as a potential impact sub than a starter. Paterson and Windass will be ahead of him in the queue and understandably so.

Come the end of the season he’ll go back to Derby and Rhodes and Kachunga will leave. Then whoever’s manager will have the job of revamping the forward line again.

Yeah I'm thinking the same way. He might well prove to be a good option late in games especially if the new manager gets us playing more positively and further up the pitch.

Not the terrible news some are making this out to be. 

The only downside here is this now means we will only get one extra striker in, lets just hope we strike gold and get a decent target man.

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, new zealand owl said:

Yeah I'm thinking the same way. He might well prove to be a good option late in games especially if the new manager gets us playing more positively and further up the pitch.

The only downside here is this now means we will only get one extra striker in, lets just hope we strike gold and get a decent target man.

Paterson might be the wildcard. Don’t really know what Pulis was thinking when  he said he was a midfielder. I don’t think he’s a particularly good target man but get the ball to him in the box and he’ll score goals.

Second chance then for Marriott, at times for derby he looked like a great burst of energy and making things happen but rarely got a start.
He looked rusty when he played but so did the whole team at the time. With the team playing with more confidence, hopefully we get something out of him. 

7 hours ago, Jim said:

Paterson might be the wildcard. Don’t really know what Pulis was thinking when  he said he was a midfielder. I don’t think he’s a particularly good target man but get the ball to him in the box and he’ll score goals.

Pulis thought, he was a midfielder, you dont think hes a particularly good target man, Im not sure he's a footballer, but whatever he is i am beginning to love him, he might just get us out of this mess

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes. Another signing for the January transfer window. 

I mean he's hardly played since he signed in the summer so it's like a new signing... isn't it? 

Can't say I was overly impressed with his performances earlier in the season. Maybe NT (or the new manager) can get something out of him. 

5 hours ago, Bakewell Owl said:

Pulis thought, he was a midfielder, you dont think hes a particularly good target man, Im not sure he's a footballer, but whatever he is i am beginning to love him, he might just get us out of this mess

As an old workmate used to say, "he will never be a striker while he's got a hole in his @rse", but he has scored 4 goals now after playing in 20 of our 23 games so far. He works hard and can throw the ball a long way, but quite frankly he teaches all the Nuhiu knockers a lesson, because although he is a nuisance to defenders at times, he gets nowhere near the number of goals or assists that Nuhiu got when he was one of our only strikers under Jos. Unfortunately, looking at several of our players right now, like Paterson, Harris, Odabajo, Iorfa, Kachunga and a couple of others, you cannot criticise their enthusiasm, hard work etc, but none of them have any idea of what they are supposed to be doing, or where they are supposed to be doing it, most of the time, unless they are getting constantly told by the coaches or other players, by which time it is usually too late. Every one of them makes loads of mistakes every game, but often their hard work and enthusiasm helps to make up for some of them. If Jordan Rhodes had played as many minutes as Paterson, would he have scored more goals too? It does make you wonder. OK we would have missed those long throws, but other than that do we get more off the ball and on it with Paterson, or Rhodes in the team? Personally, I feel that Paterson and Rhodes would both benefit from either playing together, or either of them having somebody like Marriott, or Green alongside them, so that they can feed off each other and give each other the support they desperately need in that isolated spot we currently have up front. The ideal situation would be for Rhodes to have the fitness and stamina levels that Paterson has, or for Paterson to have the footballing brains and striker's instincts that Rhodes has. So when Rhodes finally leaves the club, it would be a great shame if players like Paterson, Green, Windass and our other attacking players have not been given the chance to learn a bit of something from Rhodes in actual games, where every little advantage gained can make a big difference.

It is best to have a good mix of players and we have some seasoned professionals at this level (if we can hang onto them) like Tom Lees, Bannan and Reach, with a few up and coming players and some real grafters. We have to get behind them and encourage them all to get better, individually and as a team.  Then, if we can steadily replace the ones that do not improve, with better players, we can gradually move higher as a club. If, as our chairman insists, we are really trying to do things a bit quicker, we could get a lot of players out in the summer, with replacements all lined up with deals ready to be signed, so that (and here is a radical new idea for Chansiri), the new head coach can have ALL of his new players before the start of the summer pre-season training, to integrate them into the team and get us off to a good start next season. Waiting until the end of the transfer window when we are already struggling and the season is already under way, then bringing in more last minute panic purchases, or panic loans of sub-standard players is no longer an option for SWFC.

Hopefully we could be seeing those green shoots of recovery again, but even more hopefully, we will not kill them off this time, not before a proper team shape has developed, because right now, Jos, Monk and Pulis are all 100% correct, the side is totally unbalanced. It only needed a few additions of real quality young players and if we can get more of those kinds of players in it will be easier to encourage more to come, because prospective players will see that we are serious and finally have a proper long term plan to get the club back where it belongs and stay there.

UTO! 

• Like 3

On 14/01/2021 at 19:57, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Conversely,  Derby maybe just as keen as us to manage on a shoe string. Marriot may be just a little sick of being chuffed about and may strain every sinew to shove one up em by banging a few in for us !

Is he coming because Windass is going?

On 14/01/2021 at 20:52, new zealand owl said:

What new manager?

:Chansiri:

With Marriott’s return, we now have 5 strikers, none of whom are effective, either playing as the loan striker, or as a pairing. We now really need to find a target man, who can lead the line on his own, or can form an effective pairing with at least one of our existing strikers The last thing we want to do, is bring in another random striker, giving us 6 mismatched strikers

• Like 1