Jack Marriott returns to Sheffield Wednesday

1 minute ago, Markowski77 said:

By the sounds of it Derby are just as desperate for a striker as we are, their fans rate him - I think they are in a dire situation at present , and passing on his wages to us 

Don't think he is a bad option to compete with windass for one of the striker positions BUT still desperate for a physical presence up front who can hold ball up 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That would by my hope, in fact we’d all hope that is the case. Again though, he needs a partner as he’s too lightweight to play the lone striker role None of Paterson, Rhodes, Windass or Kachunga fit the bill. 
We are here again, 5 ill fitting strikers

I accept no obvious pairing jumps out however sometimes some combinations work although do not look as though they will.

Not saying this would work but how about Patterson as deep lying centre forward with Windass and Marriott  either side running on to any balls knocked on. This would mean bypassing midfield and using long ball in counter attacking way. May work away from home as they would have to keep some players back due to pace of JW and JM. With AG and KH joining we have bench option to keep press on when sprinters gets tired.

To get team scoring need to consider different ways of playing.

With 5-4-1 ball just kept coming back as could not retain possession. Even with two it was difficult.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Quist said:

Derby were worried he would strike form and start scoring goals. Monk thought he was the bees knees and so we did not think sending back would be required. Derby currently in queer street and sending him back suggests reported problems are accurate as they are having more difficulty scoring than us.

He was not fully fit when he arrived and struggled to come to terms with how we were playing. He was not only player to have this problem an most of the fans also were not sure what we were trying to achieve. Therefore think you can excuse his performances in few appearances he has made.

A new manager may get the best out of him. He has pace good control and can find back of net. Problem was sustaining effort throughout the game. 

Lets wish him well and hope he can be successful loan player for us.

I did not rate him at all during his time here, but that was mainly because he was injured and did not look fit. He was not the kind of player that Monk said he wanted at the start of the summer and he was a panic signing, coming in only after we had chased a very expensive and injured Lahore all summer, who we all said should be left alone, only for our esteemed leader DC to tell us just before the window closed, that lahore was too expensive and injured so we have come up with a cheaper injured player on loan instead. The situation did not bode well did it and so it turned out to be. Now, the optimist in me says, be fair to the lad, he has had an average to decent career in the lower leagues, with a scoring average of 1 in 3, while moving backwards and forwards from one loan to another, then suddenly he got propelled to the dizzy heights of the Championship at Derby, based on one very good year at Peterborough, then his scoring rate dissolved, getting less than half his goals per game ratio. Maybe he just needs the mending skills of Struddy, combined with the coaching skills of a Thomo, or Cook (-ie?) to bring out the best in him? At 26 it is doubtful, but stranger things have happened while wearing a blue and white shirt. Good luck Jack, we all need a bit of that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quist said:

I accept no obvious pairing jumps out however sometimes some combinations work although do not look as though they will.

Not saying this would work but how about Patterson as deep lying centre forward with Windass and Marriott  either side running on to any balls knocked on. This would mean bypassing midfield and using long ball in counter attacking way. May work away from home as they would have to keep some players back due to pace of JW and JM. With AG and KH joining we have bench option to keep press on when sprinters gets tired.

To get team scoring need to consider different ways of playing.

With 5-4-1 ball just kept coming back as could not retain possession. Even with two it was difficult.

Personally, I’d hope that we do a bit of wheeling and dealing because 5 ill fitting strikers are no use to anyone We’ve been here before haven’t we, and it’s about time we started learning some of these lessons

Edited by gurujuan

Guest whowantstoberich
45 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Can we all reserve judgement until we've seen him actually play with some team mates around him in a formation where we don't play a 10 - 1.

No I’ve seen enough thanks

Best memory I have of Jack Marriott ...

ITFC fans weren't happy that Mick McCarthy wouldn't pick Marriott for the 1st team 

ITFC vs SWFC, starlet Jack was on the bench.

When McCarthy told him to warm up, their crowd started singing 

SWING LOW SWEET MARRIOTT ... 

So Big Mick told him to sit back down lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Definitely more a case of they can’t afford to pay his wages (He’ll get them here, just late!)

No way would they risk leaving a striker at a relegation rival when they barely have any strikers.

So the decision is purely financial, I’m sure ideally Derby would want him back and I’m sure Wednesday would probably want the same. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, prowl said:

Oh poo .

They certainly aren't worried he will save us with a hatfull of goals.

It’s probably more to do with Derby not being able to pay their staff 

We can’t talk on that topic - although it sounds like we’re all sorted on the wages front now.