Jack Marriott returns to Sheffield Wednesday

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

At Peterborough and Luton he played alongside a mobile target man, even at Derby, his better games were alongside Martin We just don’t have that type of player

That’s not true I’m afraid, his better games weren’t next to Martin. His best games for Derby were playing in a three up front playing down the middle. Waghorn and Wilson usually as inside forward types side with Mount playing just behind him.

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

..and that’s the signing we need to make next. I’m not spitting feathers over Marriott’s return. Windass has a hamstring problem. Rhodes & Kachunga offer nothing. That just leaves Paterson as the only one showing some form. Get a target man - I’d still consider Gnanduillet - and it should help.

I’m of the same opinion. He wasn’t able to replicate his Peterborough/Luton form at Derby, but when he did score, and looked good, he often did it against big clubs, so there is hope. We absolutely do need a target man partner for him, preferably a mobile one, if that’s possible. Gnanduillet fits the bill. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

It’s more than that, we are well on our way to replicating last season’s mistakes. We have 4 strikers, and not one of them can effectively play the lone striker role Worse still, there isn’t a pairing amongst them. It’s essential we bring in a number 9 who we can pair with at least one of our current strikers

I suppose you could call Windass a false 9.

Not quite sure what Paterson is classed as, still trying to work that one out. (Barely a footballer if you ask some on here 😃).

Marriot would benefit from having a Mark Bright type forward up with him and playing off them, someone who will take physical aspects of the game for him.

Then there is Rhodes who has been successful in a forward pairing.

The problem is 442 is not used by us, and like you say we don't have a forward who can play the role as lone striker.

So to add to the wingers needed, Left Back, and midfield beast, we also need a number 10, 9 and a forward who can hold the ball up and win headers.

That's not too much to ask is it.

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I’m of the same opinion. He wasn’t able to replicate his Peterborough/Luton form at Derby, but when he did score, and looked good, he often did it against big clubs, so there is hope. We absolutely do need a target man partner for him, preferably a mobile one, if that’s possible. Gnanduillet fits the bill. 

Marriott deserves a little slack. Came into a side in poor form and got injured after 3 weeks. Didn’t have long to transition. 

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe there’s a bit of hope that we can move Windass on, he’d be the most likely

I am hopeful a fresh manager can get more out of what we have available.

I think Monks formation was designed to get the best out of one player, (only way can think why we set up in such a strange way).

TP had no interest and why he took job is beyond me.

With slight twink we have improved under Thompson and looked more capable of scoring. In addition we look as though we may have a promising youngster or two.

Most clubs have no money, we are lucky DC has deeper pockets than some think on here.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Whats the betting that Rooney would have wanted him back as an option if he could. Cocu let him leave. Why I think he may still be recalled just not yet.

When do you think he might be recalled? 

He looked lost playing for us prior to his injury. But he blatantly wants to get in behind, and we didn't lay on any balls behind defenses. We just kicked it in his general direction and watched him scamper after it, with little hope of getting to it, never mind hold onto it. Maybe with a change in how we play he could be a useful player. We shall see. 

10 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Marriott deserves a little slack. Came into a side in poor form and got injured after 3 weeks. Didn’t have long to transition. 

I don’t disagree and it does take time for players to bed in. However, he looked absolutely atrocious in the games he played. His control, movement, strength were all second best and he literally gave the ball away almost every time it went to him. The most baffling aspect of his play, was he never took up decent positions in the box, to apply the finishing touch, when the ball bounced his way. He is the only player I have seen make Rhodes look worthy of being picked ahead of him...

From minute one, there has to be much better desire and application. God forbid he gets on the end of something...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

I suppose you could call Windass a false 9.

Not quite sure what Paterson is classed as, still trying to work that one out. (Barely a footballer if you ask some on here 😃).

Marriot would benefit from having a Mark Bright type forward up with him and playing off them, someone who will take physical aspects of the game for him.

Then there is Rhodes who has been successful in a forward pairing.

The problem is 442 is not used by us, and like you say we don't have a forward who can play the role as lone striker.

So to add to the wingers needed, Left Back, and midfield beast, we also need a number 10, 9 and a forward who can hold the ball up and win headers.

That's not too much to ask is it.

Windass is a false 9 because he isnt a 9 at all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

We’re is the logic in it, loan a striker out to a team your currently battling a relegation fight with and have recently been losing that fight to us. Add Marriott and he could put the final nail in the coffin

I thought they may recall him for the reasons you outline. I’m just wondering if it’s because they are skint & need wages off the books? I’m assuming we weren’t able to cancel the loan or I suspect we would have.

Not particularly bothered either way TBH. I suspect he’ll be used more as a potential impact sub than a starter. Paterson and Windass will be ahead of him in the queue and understandably so.

Come the end of the season he’ll go back to Derby and Rhodes and Kachunga will leave. Then whoever’s manager will have the job of revamping the forward line again.

1 hour ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

I did not rate him at all during his time here, but that was mainly because he was injured and did not look fit. He was not the kind of player that Monk said he wanted at the start of the summer and he was a panic signing, coming in only after we had chased a very expensive and injured Lahore all summer, who we all said should be left alone, only for our esteemed leader DC to tell us just before the window closed, that lahore was too expensive and injured so we have come up with a cheaper injured player on loan instead. The situation did not bode well did it and so it turned out to be. Now, the optimist in me says, be fair to the lad, he has had an average to decent career in the lower leagues, with a scoring average of 1 in 3, while moving backwards and forwards from one loan to another, then suddenly he got propelled to the dizzy heights of the Championship at Derby, based on one very good year at Peterborough, then his scoring rate dissolved, getting less than half his goals per game ratio. Maybe he just needs the mending skills of Struddy, combined with the coaching skills of a Thomo, or Cook (-ie?) to bring out the best in him? At 26 it is doubtful, but stranger things have happened while wearing a blue and white shirt. Good luck Jack, we all need a bit of that. 

Lahore has gone to India now