Wigan Fan’s Honest View on Paul Cook

2 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Think he was the most popular choice before we appointed Pulis, many of us were surprised when it was revealed we never even made contact with him.

I hope we don't hear the same thing again shortly after unveiling Alan Pardew.

We won’t mate, it will be shortly after unveiling Chris Coleman! 🙄

• Haha 1

Having been watching the video attached of Cooks interview about his time at Wigan, I think he's shown he wants the job and talking football he talks a hell of a more sense than anyone we've had in many years. I liked Bruce and felt he had a renewed winning mentality. Cook talks sense but from the experience of coming from below is. I'd say it's the perfect time for him and for us. Be pleased to give him the chance and as long as he comes in talking sense like that showing the direction of travel he sees for us to improve. I think he will be given time by the supporters. He doesn't have experience higher up but he has it in getting a team form our position and moving them up and out of their League. Unless their is an outstanding candidate we don't know of or if Nigel Pearson wanted it then I can't see a reason not to give him it. 

• Like 3

I do really believe he’s the most ideal candidate, would make the most sense & he could be someone that I’d trust in undertaking a long term project to turn our club around.

For that reason, we won’t hire him. And I’ll be so annoyed when it is eventually some random foreign manager who no one has heard of, is cheap as chips, plays painfully defensive footballs and is sacked after 8 months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Hornsby
13 hours ago, JayWhittle17 said:

Good evening everyone, my name is Jay Whittle and I am a big Wigan Athletic fan. I’ve been reading this thread, having noticed that former Latics manager Paul Cook has been linked to the Sheffield Wednesday role. 

Paul Cook is an excellent choice for any Championship side, and I think he is the ideal manager for the situation that Sheffield Wednesday currently find themselves in.

He is a born winner, and he knows how to get the best out of all of his players. His man-management skills are second to none, and he will drastically improve Sheffield Wednesday both on and off-the field. His personality is infectious, and he was idolised during his time at Wigan.

He played a really attractive brand of football, and created a lot of many special memories for the fans of Wigan Athletic. From knocking out Bournemouth, West Ham, and Manchester City in the FA Cup as a League One side, to beating Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United at Elland Road in two consecutive years. He is the only English manager to have recorded wins over both of these highly-respected managers. 

He will help Sheffield Wednesday stay up this season and then will help you consolidate/push for promotion next season. He won League One with us with nearly 100 points and 100 goals. His track record is absolutely unreal, with three promotions at his last three clubs. 

Another thing that goes under the radar about Paul Cook is his recruitment. He has signed several players, that have gone on to bigger and better things. If you look at the squad that he built, most players are playing in the Championship or higher. 

He is also very active amongst the community, and really likes to get involved with the Supporters. He even joined me on my Latics podcast to bid farewell to Wigan Athletic when he resigned, showing what a classy manager he is. 

If you’d like to watch it to learn more about Paul, I’d fully recommend listening to the podcast to hear about his time at Latics, his managerial philosophies and get a feeling about what his personality is all about- 

https://youtu.be/vjbBn4aDTu0

Jay, great post mate but way too much logic for our owner.

His advisors are 2 footy agents - one ex Doyen - and 12 year old son (who interviewed Cowley brothers virtually last time).

But good luck with finding a buyer. The Spanish mob seem wasters.

Any chance of fans finding dosh to buy, or a weathy fan like from Whelan family etc?

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Cook would have the backing of the majority of fans I would have thought.

Not many of the other names seem to have the same from the fans on here. 

It's more of a "will he be able to work with DC" that's the problem. The same applies to every candidate. 

Cook would appear to be a very safe pair of hands with the vision to develop the club longer term if he was allowed to do it his way. 

Can he convince DC to let him get on with it when he is appointed on the 16th January? 

Rightly or wrongly, I never want the 'backing of the fans' thing to be a reason the club do something ever again after Jordan Rhodes.

• Like 2

Guest mrbluesky
14 hours ago, JayWhittle17 said:

Good evening everyone, my name is Jay Whittle and I am a big Wigan Athletic fan. I’ve been reading this thread, having noticed that former Latics manager Paul Cook has been linked to the Sheffield Wednesday role. 

Paul Cook is an excellent choice for any Championship side, and I think he is the ideal manager for the situation that Sheffield Wednesday currently find themselves in.

He is a born winner, and he knows how to get the best out of all of his players. His man-management skills are second to none, and he will drastically improve Sheffield Wednesday both on and off-the field. His personality is infectious, and he was idolised during his time at Wigan.

He played a really attractive brand of football, and created a lot of many special memories for the fans of Wigan Athletic. From knocking out Bournemouth, West Ham, and Manchester City in the FA Cup as a League One side, to beating Marcelo Bielsa’s Leeds United at Elland Road in two consecutive years. He is the only English manager to have recorded wins over both of these highly-respected managers. 

He will help Sheffield Wednesday stay up this season and then will help you consolidate/push for promotion next season. He won League One with us with nearly 100 points and 100 goals. His track record is absolutely unreal, with three promotions at his last three clubs. 

Another thing that goes under the radar about Paul Cook is his recruitment. He has signed several players, that have gone on to bigger and better things. If you look at the squad that he built, most players are playing in the Championship or higher. 

He is also very active amongst the community, and really likes to get involved with the Supporters. He even joined me on my Latics podcast to bid farewell to Wigan Athletic when he resigned, showing what a classy manager he is. 

If you’d like to watch it to learn more about Paul, I’d fully recommend listening to the podcast to hear about his time at Latics, his managerial philosophies and get a feeling about what his personality is all about- 

Cheers Paul.

14 hours ago, JayWhittle17 said:

Thank you for posting that, I'll watch the video if he gets appointed haha. I haven't read the full thread yet, but I have some questions for you if you don't mind answering them:

• Some Wigan fans weren't keen on him, what are your thoughts on this?
  • I researched a bit on your forum and found some rumours/information on his and Windass's situation, again what are your thoughts?
  • Anymore on his playing style/how he uses players in his 4-2-3-1 formation etc. Like what type of players does he like in each position and does he sometimes play players out of position or on weaker foots etc? 
  • Did he have full control at Wigan or was he happy with other people doing the majority of the work on things like recruitment etc? 
Edited by Incognito Owl