Adam Reach to leave Sheffield Wednesday?

Guest The Claw

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

If the poster on here is right who said they have been offered 70% of their current contract then that’s not “eff all”. 

It’s probably about what we can realistically afford unless we want to keep losing £15m-20m a year. 

They will probably get a deal with a club who can either afford to throw the dice right now or that has parachute payments (just like Fletcher and Fox going to Stoke). 

Ultimately we have to cut our cloth according to our means within FFP. If we can’t afford them, we can’t afford them. 

Lots of other clubs in Championship seem to manage on a lower budget than ours. We just have to follow suit. 

Of course, if we’d sold one quality player a year in the last 5 years, we probably could have afforded more. 

Selling Lees after his first purple patch, FF after Norwich, Reach after his wonder goals and Iorfa after last season would have given us more room to offer better deals. 

We seem unwilling to learn from our previous mistakes and sell a star player for decent money for the greater financially good of the club. 

For me, this is Chansiri’s biggest mistake. 

Absolutely this!!

Our recruitment over the past 5-6 years hasn’t been as disastrous as many will believe, but our inability to sell high has cost us dear. 

Picking players that are undervalued and with a point to prove has been done very well over the years. Of course a few, maybe more than a few mistakes too along the way. But rarely when we have looked for players out of sorts, under valued with points to prove; FF, Bannan, Westwood, Lees, Lee, Hutch.... all brought in under market value with points to prove. 

The issue is, after proving their points. All to often we instead of realising a profit and selling, chose to double their contracts and pay them until expiry. 

Instead of letting these players retire worthless here, we should be trying to unearth the next FF, the next Bannan etc. 

We can’t afford to pay 6-8 players 20k plus and still expect to have left over to find the rest of the squad. After this season we may well get a chance to have a more balanced squad after Westwood, Rhodes, Lees, Bannan, JvA, Reach large contracts expire. Those 6 alone likely cost 7-8m a year. How do you run a sustainable squad of 25 with 40% of your budget spent on 6 players? 

• Like 2

Don’t know why we are surprised if this were true. One of our best players, available on a free. We probably can’t afford the current contract he is on. He will be signing for someone with money, maybe a team like stoke. If we can get money in we should consider selling, but I’d rather keep him for this season as his worth to the team staying up is more to us than getting maybe half a million for him now. We aren’t going to get money as no one is buying players at this level. Unless a prem team like West Brom came in for him. 

Reach will be gone. Still a good age, rarely injured, plays 90 minutes every week, may not be good enough to get in every teams starting 11 but certainly good enough for anyones matchday squad in this division. No reason for him to stay at this circus and he will have no problem picking up another championship club. 

1 hour ago, RichSheffWeds said:

If the poster on here is right who said they have been offered 70% of their current contract then that’s not “eff all”. 

It’s probably about what we can realistically afford unless we want to keep losing £15m-20m a year. 

They will probably get a deal with a club who can either afford to throw the dice right now or that has parachute payments (just like Fletcher and Fox going to Stoke). 

Ultimately we have to cut our cloth according to our means within FFP. If we can’t afford them, we can’t afford them. 

Lots of other clubs in Championship seem to manage on a lower budget than ours. We just have to follow suit. 

Of course, if we’d sold one quality player a year in the last 5 years, we probably could have afforded more. 

Selling Lees after his first purple patch, FF after Norwich, Reach after his wonder goals and Iorfa after last season would have given us more room to offer better deals. 

We seem unwilling to learn from our previous mistakes and sell a star player for decent money for the greater financially good of the club. 

The fact that the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd have sold their best players at certain times yet our fans were up in arms about selling the likes of FF shows just how deluded parts of the fanbase are. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I agree with everything you say, if we cant afford them we cant afford them and if they can get better than what they are getting here then good luck to them I dont begrudge anyone earning what they can 

However on player sales hindsight is a wonderful thing, selling Lees, FF, Reach, Iorfa and any other player when they were at their peaks for big money would have been met with an equal amount of abuse and forum threads about the lack of ambition being shown. 

A very costly lesson learnt (hopefully learnt) 

Hopefully Chansiri learns and some fans also learn that with the exception of potentially the big 6 every club in England is now a selling club in some capacity  and its something weve got to accept.

Well until we are champions League regulars 

lol

39 minutes ago, 83owl said:

The fact that the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd have sold their best players at certain times yet our fans were up in arms about selling the likes of FF shows just how deluded parts of the fanbase are. 

I am sure parts of Liverpool and Man U fan base were dead against them selling a star player.
I also think part of Wednesday fans would have been enraged if we move FF on after the Norwich incident.
But I am sure after a couple of games it would be yesterdays news.

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am sure parts of Liverpool and Man U fan base were dead against them selling a star player.
I also think part of Wednesday fans would have been enraged if we move FF on after the Norwich incident.
But I am sure after a couple of games it would be yesterdays news.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it. I remember the forum at the time and a lot of people didn't want Forestieri to leave. Some did mind, but a lot didn't. 

I'm sure a majority would accept now that we would have benefited from shifting him, but no one could forsee him having an ACL operation could they? 

I don't seem to remember Man U fans being delighted at Ronaldo leaving, I also dont remember Liverpool being delighted at selling Coutinho at the time. 

Fans in general tend to overlook the main thing about a footballer's life. It is a relatively short span. very few players are at their best for much above 8 years .This is the time when they are at their highest earning potential.. This FA Cup period has shown that many lower and non-league clubs have 'big' names on their staffs.

Put yourself in the position of the player. He is not playing for the fans, but for  his family and himself. He has a relatively short time when he can earn his money. If he is playing well for club A, but can get better terms from club B, who is to condemn him for looking after himself? The days of the One Club man are long  gone

Having said this, I still hope we keep Reach.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Great business from us. Management of the playing squad continues to be one of our biggest weaknesses. Starts at the top because Mr golden calls all the shots. We'll continue to have issues like this whilst he is here. 

Amazes me that so many people still can't see this. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Buxtongent said:

Fans in general tend to overlook the main thing about a footballer's life. It is a relatively short span. very few players are at their best for much above 8 years .This is the time when they are at their highest earning potential.. This FA Cup period has shown that many lower and non-league clubs have 'big' names on their staffs.

Put yourself in the position of the player. He is not playing for the fans, but for  his family and himself. He has a relatively short time when he can earn his money. If he is playing well for club A, but can get better terms from club B, who is to condemn him for looking after himself? The days of the One Club man are long  gone

Having said this, I still hope we keep Reach.

Its not like it used to be, they don't have to run a pub once they retire any more, a lot of players are secure financially before they make the first team

If Reach has looked after his money he is made for life already

• Like 2

The ff thing was straight after Wembley when we were also splashing the cash? Reach fletcher abdi Jones winnall Rhodes all came in that season? We could all see we had a real chance of going straight up? Selling ff at that point didn’t seem the right thing to do when you trying to get out of this league? Hindsight is a great thing cus the amount of games he played esp last 2-3 seasons was ridiculous ( one thing or another)also for the wedge the dc splashed out you’d expect more from all of the above?? Anyway back to reach no coincidence he hit form when asked to play out wide is it? He suffered from playing all over the place cm and cf under monk the kid looked lost? Out wide he constantly delivers goal scoring crosses and chips in with goals , he’ll get another contract at this level but I’d keep him to summer like the rest to make sure we in this league next season 

Thing is the majority of Championship clubs I would imagine are going to be in a difficult financial position next season regardless of whether we get fans back in stadiums and revenue back to something like normal. It's not going to be a comfortable market for a free agent to be operating in. I can see there being a lot of players without a club come the summer and I can see some clubs refusing/ being unable to pay anything like the kind of money they have been receiving over the last few years. I can also see teams wanting to lean more heavily on youth for the next few seasons. If the amounts we are reportedly paying Bannan, reach and Lees are true then I can't see how they will get anything near that elsewhere. I know there will always be suitors and teams willing to pay that bit extra but I don't think it will be that simple for most out of contract players. To some degree I think the balance of power will shift slightly in the clubs favour. 

I’ve not checked but how many games has reached played for us over  his 4 year contract 

he can play a number of positions 

I prefer him on the left either wing or left wing back I think that’s where we see his best quality ( that said he gets his wonder goals from the right ) 

A lot have critised him but that is such of some of our positive posters 

he’s rarely injured or subbed and has been played regularly by every mananager 

he’s been nothing short of a bargain and if we can get him Lee’s and bannan ( all long serving regulars ) tied up we have very good senior pros to start building on 

bannan as captain will be a big one and he will be very influential in people like reach signing 

you don’t often get team mates that have played with each other regularly like they have in today’s game they will be good mates 

club needs to get these done 

think the difficulty is pursuing them we are not a spent force abs that’s going to come with the ambition in the transfer market and our next manager appointment 

my guess is we are a spent force and they will want to do better whilst they still have a career in playing 

chansiri over to you