Matt Penney - Swindon

22 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Considering he is really our only natural left back, ok Reach can play there but he's more of a winger, this doesn't make sense.

I would hope the club have plans to bring in another left back.

“plans”?

• Haha 1

Doubt we've even offered Penney a contract, but even if we had, I can't see any player wanting to sign when they've no idea who'll be manager, let alone what sort of direction the club is going in.

I don't think he's as good as some make out, but one thing's for sure, his development (along with plenty of others) hasn't been managed sufficiently well enough to maximise his potential.

Good luck to the lad.

UTO

• Like 1

I guess it's not going to be much money coming in, and he's not on big wages. Might be worth hanging onto to him for the last six months and giving him a few games. As if he is good enough, would save us a lot of money in the long run. Has always looked promising when I've seen him.

That said, I don't get to see him in training.

25 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Just the latest of a long line of youth players not given any development other than the under 23's - should be getting time in the team when we have no recognised left back at the club but for what ever reason our last 2 failed manager decided to play centre backs at full back and as can be seem by their records it didn't work.

How many good young players have we released or lost I the last 5 years when they have not been developed correctly or given any chance to stake a claim for a first team spot. Not to mention the money it will then cost us to fill these spots.

I understand the sentiment and agree that we really need to get better at developing youth. But how many of these released youths have gone on to actually do anything recently. Can't think of one.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Just the latest of a long line of youth players not given any development other than the under 23's - should be getting time in the team when we have no recognised left back at the club but for what ever reason our last 2 failed manager decided to play centre backs at full back and as can be seem by their records it didn't work.

How many good young players have we released or lost I the last 5 years when they have not been developed correctly or given any chance to stake a claim for a first team spot. Not to mention the money it will then cost us to fill these spotspo

Agree we are not giving.young players opportunities , however how many young.players have gone into better things!? Our academy needs bigger investment, sadly won't happen while DC in charge.

• Like 2

Has shown very little to suggest he’s capable of being a consistent performer at this level - was the clear weak link in the couple of games he did play earlier this season 

Great for him if he can get sorted with a move more at his level of ability - not convinced that’s LG1 tbh

11 minutes ago, Lemi_the_owl said:

I understand the sentiment and agree that we really need to get better at developing youth. But how many of these released youths have gone on to actually do anything recently. Can't think of one.

The period from 18 to 22/3 is such a key period in a players career - not many have gone on to do anything because we have basically stunted their development. 

Look at every other team in the championship and I bet everyone of them has youth player in their starting line up and in he first team squad then compare them to our set up. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, room0035 said:

The period from 18 to 22/3 is such a key period in a players career - not many have gone on to do anything because we have basically stunted their development. 

Look at every other team in the championship and I bet everyone of them has youth player in their starting line up and in he first team squad then compare them to our set up. 

He’s been on loan 3 times during that period

Twice he couldn’t get on the pitch, and he failed to kick on from the third one.

Weve done a poo job in developing young players I agree - but Penney has had the opportunities and just hasn’t been able to capitalize..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

What about the coaches who are working with him today

I did notice he appeared on the bench after Pulis was sacked. 

And he did get on the pitch in the Middlesbrough game. 

Edited by Beholder

Tells you lot about this club. Sending our best lb/lwb out on loan while we are playing players out of position there that constantly under performed. 

Penney is an obviously talented footballer who was failed by this club by constantly getting overlooked in favor of inferior players. 

He would be insane to resign with us and completely ruin any chance of a good career. Still I don’t think he should sign for Swindon and I'm confident he will get looked at by other clubs that will more likely help him develop and carve good career for himself. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I can remember people using that exact phrase about Lucas Joao

The main difference there being,Joao was watched by the likes of Everton & Leicester and Penney was wanted by the likes of Bradford City and Swindon.

That says all ya need to know!

1 minute ago, malek said:

Tells you lot about this club. Sending our best lb/lwb out on loan while we are playing players out of position there that constantly under performed.

Or does that just tell you how bad a left back Penney must actually be.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, owlsruleok said:

IMO should be a regular in our team no matter at who’s expense

Well he’s our only out and out left back, but clearly previous managers don’t rate him which tells it’s own story. Easy for us to say that he’s got good potential and is a decent player, but the coaches/managers see him on a day to day basis and clearly don’t think he’s at championship level.

There’s been far too many examples at this club where young players have come through but failed to capitalise on opportunities given. Our so called academy is shocking, more investment is required in both the facilities but scouting personnel. 

The only current players I think may be the exception to the rule are Hunt and Shaw. But I just hope they don’t end up like another Jordan Thorniley where they had some good performances early on but weren’t able to maintain consistency.

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Saying for ages that argument "what he did after he left" is no argument at all. Most careers get ruined at players first clubs, and in many cases players are not to blame. I've seen and heard of horrible cases of unjustice, nepotism or plain bad luck that helped ruin careers of fair few very talented young footballers.