Matt Penney - Swindon

10 minutes ago, malek said:

Tells you lot about this club. Sending our best lb/lwb out on loan while we are playing players out of position there that constantly under performed. 

Penney is an obviously talented footballer who was failed by this club by constantly getting overlooked in favor of inferior players. 

He would be insane to resign with us and completely ruin any chance of a good career. Still I don’t think he should sign for Swindon and I'm confident he will get looked at by other clubs that will more likely help him develop and carve good career for himself. 

How many managers have we had since he's been here? Not one thought he was our best left back. 

The fact Monk, Pulis and Thompson have played other players at LB/LWB (when we have no natural one in the squad) tells you all you need to know about where Penney's at IMO. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

The main difference there being,Joao was watched by the likes of Everton & Leicester and Penney was wanted by the likes of Bradford City and Swindon.

That says all ya need to know!

Playing under Luhukay and before getting injured Penney was reportedly watched by likes of Arsenal and Everton. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Playing under Luhukay and before getting injured Penney was reportedly watched by likes of Arsenal and Everton. 

Then they watched him and realised he is the only left back they have ever seen with no interest in being a left back.

• Haha 1

I saw very little to suggest he’s a Championship player. Poor awareness defensively and wasteful going forward.

However, there’s no denying our results with him playing we’re good. Possibly coincidental, possibly because playing almost any left-footed player on the left works better, or possibly because he’s better than I think.

Just now, Holmowl said:

I saw very little to suggest he’s a Championship player. Poor awareness defensively and wasteful going forward.

However, there’s no denying our results with him playing we’re good. Possibly coincidental, possibly because playing almost any left-footed player on the left works better, or possibly because he’s better than I think.

How about that for not only sitting on the fence? I went to B&Q, built it and creosoted it.

Just now, Holmowl said:

How about that for not only sitting on the fence? I went to B&Q, built it and creosoted it.

I think your first comment was correct. Same with Rhodes, so many different managers and coaches doing the same thing means unlikely to be wrong, especially if it aligns with what we're thinking. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Agree with the first bit. All he wants to do is run with the ball. And isn't interested one bit in any sort of defensive work.

Second bit is purely coincidental.

12 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

How many managers have we had since he's been here? Not one thought he was our best left back. 

The fact Monk, Pulis and Thompson have played other players at LB/LWB (when we have no natural one in the squad) tells you all you need to know about where Penney's at IMO. 

I don’t negate where he is, but where he should have been if club does it job of developing their talented youngsters. He isn't first we failed and won't be the last. 

And what good decision managers you named above made to make you relay on their understanding of football and decision making? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

He improved his tactical awareness and positional play a lot since he made his Wednesday debut and we are yet to concede with him on the pitch. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whether he's had a fair chance is debatable, but the LB/LWB place has been there for the taking all season. 

I think a LB (as well as forwards) top of our wish list this window, so makes sense if he can't win his place with our current lack of options. 

I think he’s good on the ball going forward from a wing back position, if given the space to move forward with the ball he looks class. But he’s not a great defender or good in the air. Nor is he a winger.

If we have a flat back 4 then it’s difficult for him. 

3 minutes ago, deano said:

Seems to have the basic tools to be a good player, I'd like to see him retained and sent on loan in this country for a season.

Having said that Sean Flair generated excitement and hes not pulled up any trees since leaving.

Not much point in continually retaining players to loan them out to other clubs.

Idea is to bring in better players that can lay claim to a 1st team berth

• Like 1