Matt Penney - Swindon

6 minutes ago, deano said:

Seems to have the basic tools to be a good player, I'd like to see him retained and sent on loan in this country for a season.

Having said that Sean Flair generated excitement and hes not pulled up any trees since leaving.

Fair point, but for all we critisise the club over not selling players... he's out of contract in the summer and if the club aren't offering a new contract and a fee is involved, then the right decision.

36 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I guess it's not going to be much money coming in, and he's not on big wages. Might be worth hanging onto to him for the last six months and giving him a few games. As if he is good enough, would save us a lot of money in the long run. Has always looked promising when I've seen him.

That said, I don't get to see him in training.

I think just judging players what they do on the training ground is not the be all and end all.

JVA probably looks brilliant at Middlewood but in the real world of the championship games he looks hopeless.

I agree that we should keep Penney and give him a run in the team.

As you say he's looked good when he's played.

When he broke into the team as a 20 year old in 2018-19 he played 16 games until his bad shoulder injury in December sidelined for the rest of the season.

He was getting lots of praise because of his performances. I can remember Villa away when he was outstanding.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think he’s good on the ball going forward from a wing back position, if given the space to move forward with the ball he looks class. But he’s not a great defender or good in the air. Nor is he a winger.

If we have a flat back 4 then it’s difficult for him. 

So he is basically Jeremy Helan then.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I don’t rate a Penney to be honest but that being said he’s the only natural left back at the club. If we are selling, small fee but a big sell on clause.

1 minute ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I don’t rate a Penney to be honest but that being said he’s the only natural left back at the club. If we are selling, small fee but a big sell on clause.

If only that statement of he's the only natural left back at the club were true he may actually play left back.

2 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Swindon second bottom of L1 so the fee isn't going to be substantial anyway. I agree about sell on clause.

13 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Not much point in continually retaining players to loan them out to other clubs.

Idea is to bring in better players that can lay claim to a 1st team berth

Sure, the question is whether the experience would improve his as a player to the required standards. 

5 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Out of the 15 out of contract players i only think Shaw will definitely re sign.

Given that we need around 6 players added to the current squad, we could end up needing 20 players in summer if we stay up.

Still, his situation painfully reminds of Sean Clare's who we also let run into last 6 months of his contract and let him join SPL club for Free. 

Shaw should have got contract offer much earlier as serious club wouldn't put themselves in situation to lose one of their most talented players for nothing. Whole nation laughed watching Sunderland Till I Die when in similar way and due to their sheer stupidity they lost their best striker. I hoped we were bit smarter. 

To be honest if he’s not been given a chance here in the last few weeks when he is pretty much the only left back we have he’s never going to be given one. If I were him I’d be off for sure. 
Impossible to say of course how he performs in training or what the managers are seeing to make him think he isn’t worth playing but given JVA has been picked ahead of him I’m assuming there’s something they don’t like. 
For me back when he did get a run in the side he looked Ok so he must be worse than he was before which seems a bit odd/ unlikely.  
Either way, for your own good Matt, get yourself off and good luck!

• Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
17 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If only that statement of he's the only natural left back at the club were true he may actually play left back.

I see your point but if he’s not a left back, what’s his best position? He’s crap in midfield and doesn’t have enough tricks to be a winger.

It would be a shame to see him go, but the lack of playing time, and that it's a team in a division below us should probably suggest where his level is being see within the game.  He showed promise sure, but to me, players moving permanently to teams below us suggests that maybe they're not what we need anyway, however disappointing it is to see a youth talent move on.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Permanent I think. Out of contract in the summer.

That would be the wrong decision. Loan maybe, although I'd be giving him a crack with the 1st squad, but definitely not permanent. 

IMO Penney should be offered a fresh contract and loaned out in the window. If we do get relegated, players like Shaw, Penney, Hunt etc will be the bedrock of our team. After a season of playing L1 they should be more than capable of Championship squad places. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, malek said:

I don’t negate where he is, but where he should have been if club does it job of developing their talented youngsters. He isn't first we failed and won't be the last. 

And what good decision managers you named above made to make you relay on their understanding of football and decision making? 

Players do need to take responsibility themselves as well.

Bradford and Mansfield didnt play him either. Thats them and 4 SWFC managers

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

The main difference there being,Joao was watched by the likes of Everton & Leicester and Penney was wanted by the likes of Bradford City and Swindon.

That says all ya need to know!

59 minutes ago, malek said:

Playing under Luhukay and before getting injured Penney was reportedly watched by likes of Arsenal and Everton. 

When Jos put him in the team in 2018 his peformances brought him lots of praise from pundits and fans.

He was getting attention and I remember at the time  fans worrying that he would be taken off us by a premier league club.

Then unfortunately he got his bad injury.

• Like 3