Matt Penney - Swindon

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Players do need to take responsibility themselves as well.

Bradford and Mansfield didnt play him either. Thats them and 4 SWFC managers

End it got detaily explained why on here and not only once. 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Just the latest of a long line of youth players not given any development other than the under 23's - should be getting time in the team when we have no recognised left back at the club but for what ever reason our last 2 failed manager decided to play centre backs at full back and as can be seem by their records it didn't work.

How many good young players have we released or lost I the last 5 years when they have not been developed correctly or given any chance to stake a claim for a first team spot. Not to mention the money it will then cost us to fill these spots.

Good question, but why say the last 5 years why not the last 10 or 15 years in fact since Vardy how many have been released and gone on to develop and prove whoever released them wrong? none that I can think of.

Or how many released have actually gone on to make a living out of the game? only  a few at a guess 

Which rather suggests our Academy hasn't produced for the last 20 years not just 5 which is a sad indictment on a lot of previous administrations not just the current one

And in my opinion I don't think Penny has what it takes or the consistency to be good enough for championship and above but I expect him to earn a decent living from around League 1 and 2 levels and good luck to him

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

Just the latest of a long line of youth players not given any development other than the under 23's - should be getting time in the team when we have no recognised left back at the club but for what ever reason our last 2 failed manager decided to play centre backs at full back and as can be seem by their records it didn't work.

How many good young players have we released or lost I the last 5 years when they have not been developed correctly or given any chance to stake a claim for a first team spot. Not to mention the money it will then cost us to fill these spots.

I am not sure that I agree, we as fans we see glimpses of what a player does. The Manager & Coaches see them every training session. Managers may have their favourites but the last 3 Managers have decided the Penney is not good enough for a start. Think back to the clamour for George Hirst to play, he not pulling up trees for Rotherham is he. You mentioned how many young players we have released over the past five years. I would ask you to name the ones who have gone on and played at a higher level. I am not having a go at you but offering a different point of view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest mrbluesky

He divides opinion, for me, he's just not quite at Championship level, shows bits when playing but not enough, I'm sure he's monitored away from first team games and for him not to get a look in with the players we have has got to be a tell tail sign.

1 hour ago, McRightSide said:

He’s been on loan 3 times during that period

Twice he couldn’t get on the pitch, and he failed to kick on from the third one.

Weve done a poo job in developing young players I agree - but Penney has had the opportunities and just hasn’t been able to capitalize..

I don't think you should read much into his loans at Bradford and Mansfield. He was 18/19 at the time.

Jos put him in the first team in 2018-19 and he was a regular starter in the championship.

He was getting praise for his performances until his bad shoulder injury put him out for the season just before Bruce arrived.

When he was fit again for the start of last season, Bruce said he was looking forward to seeing him and having him available.

Bruce then left of course and somebody decided to let him go to St.Pauli for the season.

He came back this season and started the first two matches from which we took 4 points without conceding a goal.

He hasn't started since so I don't think he's  been given a fair chance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I don't think you should read much into his loans at Bradford and Mansfield. He was 18/19 at the time.

Jos put him in the first team in 2018-19 and he was a regular starter in the championship.

He was getting praise for his performances until his bad shoulder injury put him out for the season just before Bruce arrived.

When he was fit again for the start of last season, Bruce said he was looking forward to seeing him and having him available.

Bruce then left of course and somebody decided to let him go to St.Pauli for the season.

He came back this season and started the first two matches from which we took 4 points without conceding a goal.

He hasn't started since so I don't think he's  been given a fair chance.

Read the post I was replying too

Fact is that he’s had three loans and it’s done nothing for his chances here.

If you go back and watch those first two league games you’ll be able to see how far off the required level he was

No surprise he hasn’t played since. Palmer, Reach, Harris and Odubajo are all significant upgrades 

Dross give him a crack in the first team, took him on loan then seemed to not rate him

Bruce didn't rate/play him

Monk didn't rate/play him

Bully didn't rate/play him

Pulis didn't rate/play him despite publicly moaning we had no LBs

Seems pretty clear cut; get rid (ideally with a sell on clause), use the wage for someone who's actually capable of playing for us now/in the future

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Good luck to him if he goes. Should have graduated from our u23s by now. Hasn’t established himself in first team. Needs to toddle off now and play somewhere. 

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

I kind of agree with the thoughts behind this but Really how many good young players have we released in the last 5 Years?

There's a few who looked like they might go on to better things (Hirst and Clare as examples), but I don't think I can name any of our released young players have actually gone on to Greater things after leaving us.

Last one I can really remember that went onto better things was Vardy and that's along time ago (and allegedly there were other issues with him).

Think it says more about the quality of our finding and development of Young players than the issue of losing them.

Hopefully Shaw will be the start of Players breaking through from the development squad into the First team, last one was Palmer and I can't remember many stand out ones before him.

Back in the 80s this was something we seemed good at, recently it seems that if there's been any decent Youngsters Locally the other lot have been more likely to end up with the them.

Hopefully we've now got a decent Scouting Network and can manage to attract the better local Youngsters back to us.

Back to the issue with Penney,  he shows glimpses of being a decent Left Back but then seems to go backwards.

I'm not convinced he will be the answer to our Problems in that position but with the lack of a genuine Left Back it would be crazy to let him go unless we have a replacement in First.

• Like 1