Stop getting your Nixon’s in a twist!!!

26 minutes ago, Tony Pulis said:

Nixon not always right

21 minutes ago, jacko1992 said:

Nixon right most of time

Glad you’re both in agreement 😂

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Should be playing LB for us !

It is a strange one that we don't have a left back & he isn't getting a look in.

However when Monk, Pulis & now Thompson don't pick him it would suggest the reason he isn't playing is down to Penney himself.

• Thanks 2

Just now, mogbad said:

It is a strange one that we don't have a left back & he isn't getting a look in.

However when Monk, Pulis & now Thompson don't pick him it would suggest the reason he isn't playing is down to Penney himself.

It is especially when he has played in the past he has looked good. However he appeared in Thompsons first game and if he continues in charge i do believe he will get games as he does like him.

4 hours ago, PARKOWL said:

Good question, but why say the last 5 years why not the last 10 or 15 years in fact since Vardy how many have been released and gone on to develop and prove whoever released them wrong? none that I can think of.

Or how many released have actually gone on to make a living out of the game? only  a few at a guess 

Which rather suggests our Academy hasn't produced for the last 20 years not just 5 which is a sad indictment on a lot of previous administrations not just the current one

And in my opinion I don't think Penny has what it takes or the consistency to be good enough for championship and above but I expect him to earn a decent living from around League 1 and 2 levels and good luck to him

In the last 15-20 years I can think of Del Geary, Alan Quinn, Leigh Bromby, Julian Watts, Richard Wood, a n other, Jamie Vardy, Tommy Spurr, G Hirst, Sean Clare, Richie Humphries all have had professional careers that have lasted not many have gone on to bigger and better other than Vardy

You could then probably include youngster we brought in and developed the likes of Whelan and Brunt who both went on to play for nearly a decade in the Premier league and also multiple international appearances. 

But we all know our academy is so badly run when we look at our neighbours in the same city and often the same league that has produced £100m's of talent when we have produced none. Clearly when our under 18's were wining the league and none have come through to the first team but over at S2 when they have good young player they end up and decent senior players too. We seriously have to look at the club, the coaching and the development of the players from 18 to the early 20's we are doing something seriously wrong to have nothing coming through when all those around us have had  lot more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

In the last 15-20 years I can think of Del Geary, Alan Quinn, Leigh Bromby, Julian Watts, Richard Wood, a n other, Jamie Vardy, Tommy Spurr, G Hirst, Sean Clare, Richie Humphries all have had professional careers that have lasted not many have gone on to bigger and better other than Vardy

You could then probably include youngster we brought in and developed the likes of Whelan and Brunt who both went on to play for nearly a decade in the Premier league and also multiple international appearances. 

But we all know our academy is so badly run when we look at our neighbours in the same city and often the same league that has produced £100m's of talent when we have produced none. Clearly when our under 18's were wining the league and none have come through to the first team but over at S2 when they have good young player they end up and decent senior players too. We seriously have to look at the club, the coaching and the development of the players from 18 to the early 20's we are doing something seriously wrong to have nothing coming through when all those around us have had  lot more.

I agree but what i was saying is its not a recent thing in the past 5 years its been over 20 years that weve been out produced by our neighbours and others 

12 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

I agree but what i was saying is its not a recent thing in the past 5 years its been over 20 years that weve been out produced by our neighbours and others 

I know but there is clearly an issue at the club developing from under 18 to first team.

Penney is the latest example, he spends a season in the German second division, which is a similar standard to the Championship and by all accounts and did very well. He comes back and does not get a look in because we have one manager without a club in Monk, then replaced him with another that played centre backs not good enough for the centre back position at left back, then wondered why we concede goals.

For me he should be given 8-10 games at left back to see if he has it, and I suspect the answer will be he does, instead we will release him them spent a few million of fees and wages bringing in an over paid, under performing left back, when we could just give him a chance can he be any worse than JVA and Reach at full back.

The problem is not the players it is the managers reluctancy to play youth players. Shaw has got his chance because we are short of numbers and looks to be developing well. Had Luongo been fit he never would have played a game and he would then have been released in the summer and added to the list of player not good enough yet given a chance has shown to be the potential of a very good player. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Rumours doing the rounds on Twitter he’s in talks with Swindon.

Another player who I don’t think has been given a fair crack here. Shame he’s not kicked on with us because he’s got a lot of decent attributes.

If true, good luck to him. Needs to be starting games now at his age.

Agree - there is a good player in there somewhere!

7 hours ago, Beholder said:

The victim of two poor managers in my opinion. 

I think he's good enough for this level and should play. 

Based on what?

It has been disappointing that as a natural left-footed player, he hasn't been able to get a run this season but if he was good enough for this level then surely he would have better offers than struggling Swindon. 

6 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

I think he’s good on the ball going forward from a wing back position, if given the space to move forward with the ball he looks class. But he’s not a great defender or good in the air. Nor is he a winger.

If we have a flat back 4 then it’s difficult for him. 

See, I don't get this argument.

The Premier League is full of full backs who have a serial inability to defend.

In systems that a lot of clubs use nowadays... wing backs, a holding midfielder or a double pivot, all give license to the full backs to be attacking outlets. From what I've seen of Penney, he's more than capable of playing that role at this level. But like others have said...he's been at the mercy of old-school managers or flawed tactical systems. 

Of course, I'm not saying Penney is blameless in his stunted development, but for a team like ours, that is so technically inept, there HAS to be a role for a player like Penney...whether as a regular or a squad player at the very least.

Have we really got that use to seeing players like Palmer, Odubajo, Van Aken, Pelupessy, Paterson, Luongo etc. etc. unable to trap a bag of sand, that we simply stop looking for those abilities in our own players?

Interestingly enough, given that we'll likely end up with a foreign coach next, that the one foreign coach we've had previously under Penney's term here, was the only one to get a tune out of him, and admire him so much that he signed him again at St Pauli. 

Given the options in our current squad, it really is criminal that he's not been afforded the opportunities the likes of Van Aken and Palmer have, in his natural position.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

I know but there is clearly an issue at the club developing from under 18 to first team.

Penney is the latest example, he spends a season in the German second division, which is a similar standard to the Championship and by all accounts and did very well. He comes back and does not get a look in because we have one manager without a club in Monk, then replaced him with another that played centre backs not good enough for the centre back position at left back, then wondered why we concede goals.

For me he should be given 8-10 games at left back to see if he has it, and I suspect the answer will be he does, instead we will release him them spent a few million of fees and wages bringing in an over paid, under performing left back, when we could just give him a chance can he be any worse than JVA and Reach at full back.

The problem is not the players it is the managers reluctancy to play youth players. Shaw has got his chance because we are short of numbers and looks to be developing well. Had Luongo been fit he never would have played a game and he would then have been released in the summer and added to the list of player not good enough yet given a chance has shown to be the potential of a very good player. 

I slightly disagree in a sense. 

If Luongo was available, you'd play Luongo because he's the better more experienced player at this moment in time. Youngsters often need senior players to become unavailable or missing out to get a chance, or really show something off the bench, that's just the way of the world. 

This situation has afforded Shaw an opportunity, so far he's taken it and showing what he can do. 

There's been a gap at Left Back all season, Penney clearly hasn't taken that opportunity either in the first couple of matches or in training. 

If he had shown enough, he'd be in just like Shaw and Hunt before him.

Also on his stint in Germany, there were a number of bench appearances amongst that, so he didnt really do 'very well', he clearly did ok but its not like he was a 30 game mainstay of their side. 

Thats the same league that Van Aken was performing in last season, who started more games for his club than Penney did for his.

2 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

See, I don't get this argument.

The Premier League is full of full backs who have a serial inability to defend.

In systems that a lot of clubs use nowadays... wing backs, a holding midfielder or a double pivot, all give license to the full backs to be attacking outlets. From what I've seen of Penney, he's more than capable of playing that role at this level. But like others have said...he's been at the mercy of old-school managers or flawed tactical systems. 

Of course, I'm not saying Penney is blameless in his stunted development, but for a team like ours, that is so technically inept, there HAS to be a role for a player like Penney...whether as a regular or a squad player at the very least.

Have we really got that use to seeing players like Palmer, Odubajo, Van Aken, Pelupessy, Paterson, Luongo etc. etc. unable to trap a bag of sand, that we simply stop looking for those abilities in our own players?

Interestingly enough, given that we'll likely end up with a foreign coach next, that the one foreign coach we've had previously under Penney's term here, was the only one to get a tune out of him, and admire him so much that he signed him again at St Pauli. 

Given the options in our current squad, it really is criminal that he's not been afforded the opportunities the likes of Van Aken and Palmer have, in his natural position.

I like Penney in terms of what we saw when he broke through and in the cup this summer, but even a manager playing wing backs saw something he didn’t like. I don’t know what that is. We now seem to have a flat back 4 which might not suit him unless he can play left midfield. 

I guess that if the team is susceptible generally, you need a bit more solidity in the back line and in defending the goal at the end of games. 

Ideally Id like to keep him.