Matt Penney - Swindon

3 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

His close control isnt great, i've not seen anything around his movement to suggest hed be a striker, hes not strong, hes not rapid, not great in the air,  1 career goal in 39 games, what qualities suddenly make Matt Penney a potential centre forward? 

He is as far away from defensive responsibilities as you can get.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 1

On 04/01/2021 at 16:46, room0035 said:

In the last 15-20 years I can think of Del Geary, Alan Quinn, Leigh Bromby, Julian Watts, Richard Wood, a n other, Jamie Vardy, Tommy Spurr, G Hirst, Sean Clare, Richie Humphries all have had professional careers that have lasted not many have gone on to bigger and better other than Vardy

You could then probably include youngster we brought in and developed the likes of Whelan and Brunt who both went on to play for nearly a decade in the Premier league and also multiple international appearances. 

But we all know our academy is so badly run when we look at our neighbours in the same city and often the same league that has produced £100m's of talent when we have produced none. Clearly when our under 18's were wining the league and none have come through to the first team but over at S2 when they have good young player they end up and decent senior players too. We seriously have to look at the club, the coaching and the development of the players from 18 to the early 20's we are doing something seriously wrong to have nothing coming through when all those around us have had  lot more.

Julian Watts was signed from Rotherham when he was 21 and that was nearly 30 years ago.  Bromby signed from Leversedge when he was 18 and Quinn and Geary were 118 year olds signed from Irish football.  Vardy was still at school when released.  Was never even a scholar/apprentice here.  People talk as though we had him properly at the club and released him after playing for U18/U23.  If we had released him at 19/20 fair enough but he was a schoolboy.

40 minutes ago, Etchesketch said:

Julian Watts was signed from Rotherham when he was 21 and that was nearly 30 years ago.  Bromby signed from Leversedge when he was 18 and Quinn and Geary were 118 year olds signed from Irish football.  Vardy was still at school when released.  Was never even a scholar/apprentice here.  People talk as though we had him properly at the club and released him after playing for U18/U23.  If we had released him at 19/20 fair enough but he was a schoolboy.

The Irish lads came from our feeder club in Ireland and played first for our youth team, so did Bromby, before the first team.

Fraser was signed from scotland, Thorniley from Everton and Clare the Rebok academy but again they all played for the youth team before the first team.

carry by all accounts was a complete prat and got released not because of football but because of his attitute.

as for Julian Watts that's for making me feel old, 😁😁

Just now, room0035 said:

The Irish lads came from our feeder club in Ireland and played first for our youth team, so did Bromby, before the first team.

Fraser was signed from scotland, Thorniley from Everton and Clare the Rebok academy but again they all played for the youth team before the first team.

Vardy by all accounts was a complete prat and got released not because of football but because of his attitute.

as for Julian Watts that's for making me feel old, 😁😁

7 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Unless were on about Harris here in a Matt Penney thread? Which would infuriate me even more

As far as I know we have never tried Penney up front as he’s always been regarded as a defender, so it could be worth a try IMO.

4 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

Christ - no wonder we were rubbish back then.