Matt Penney - Swindon

7 hours ago, room0035 said:

The period from 18 to 22/3 is such a key period in a players career - not many have gone on to do anything because we have basically stunted their development. 

Look at every other team in the championship and I bet everyone of them has youth player in their starting line up and in he first team squad then compare them to our set up. 

Hunt and Shaw?

We've got quite a few youngsters in the first team squad but they haven't got much game time yet. Maybe they never will. I'd like to see many of them loaned out at an appropriate level.

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

Based on what?

It has been disappointing that as a natural left-footed player, he hasn't been able to get a run this season but if he was good enough for this level then surely he would have better offers than struggling Swindon. 

strange  isnt it that those  who have  hardly seen him  play rate him and yet the professionals that have shy away from him .....then you have fox who most have seen plenty of and  is  slaughtered  but gets a move to a better team .......what  do the proles not see that pro's do ? ......

32 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I slightly disagree in a sense. 

If Luongo was available, you'd play Luongo because he's the better more experienced player at this moment in time. Youngsters often need senior players to become unavailable or missing out to get a chance, or really show something off the bench, that's just the way of the world. 

This situation has afforded Shaw an opportunity, so far he's taken it and showing what he can do. 

There's been a gap at Left Back all season, Penney clearly hasn't taken that opportunity either in the first couple of matches or in training. 

If he had shown enough, he'd be in just like Shaw and Hunt before him.

Also on his stint in Germany, there were a number of bench appearances amongst that, so he didnt really do 'very well', he clearly did ok but its not like he was a 30 game mainstay of their side. 

Thats the same league that Van Aken was performing in last season, who started more games for his club than Penney did for his.

Again, when Penney played for St Pauli they usually played well and won. With him in their side they were in promotion winning form, when he didn't they were in relegation form. 

Penney got sent off on his debut and get injured for few games, that is when he didn't play. 

Then after resigning with us he got dropped and hardly played again. 

I would say he did very well there. 

People on here say he can't defend, yet we are still to concede with him on the pitch. Even more, opposition hardly created a chance while he played. What would I give for couple of more cr*p defenders like him. 

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Again, when Penney played for St Pauli they usually played well and won. With him in their side they were in promotion winning form, when he didn't they were in relegation form. 

Penney got sent off on his debut and get injured for few games, that is when he didn't play. 

People on here say he can't defend, yet we are still to concede with him on the pitch. Even more, opposition hardly created a chance while he played. What would I give for couple of more cr*p defenders like him. 

He played wing back in those games didn't he. and for a grand total of about 140 mins of football. also with the likes of Iorfa and Luongo playing I believe.

If he was that much of a success at St Pauli he would be there now. I believe the only reason we extended the option on his contract was so they would have to pay a fee for him. They didn't.

After 50 odd mins of the Watford game Monk swapped him for Palmer and that was it he was banished. and his next appearance was a sub for about 7 mins the other day. Both Monk and Mr defensive himself Tony Pulis saw something in him they didn't like. And my guess is it had something to do with the defensive side of his game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He played wing back in those games didn't he. and for a grand total of about 140 mins of football. also with the likes of Iorfa and Luongo playing I believe.

If he was that much of a success at St Pauli he would be there now. I believe the only reason we extended the option on his contract was so they would have to pay a fee for him. They didn't.

After 50 odd mins of the Watford game Monk swapped him for Palmer and that was it he was banished. and his next appearance was a sub for about 7 mins the other day. Both Monk and Mr defensive himself Tony Pulis saw something in him they didn't like. And my guess is it had something to do with the defensive side of his game.

Going by how St Pauli treated him, they expected him to sign with them and once he made his intentions to stay here clear, they dropped him. They obviously wanted him. 

Monk made little good here and his decision to drop Penney was one in long line of his poor decision. Remind me, how many games we won after he got dropped with Iorfa and Luongo in our side? 

Pulis plays with 4 central defenders and that is why there wasn't place for him in his side. Another manager who made series of poor decisions and I don’t se why his decision not to play Penney must be only good one he made in his time here?! 

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Going by how St Pauli treated him, they expected him to sign with them and once he made his intentions to stay here clear, they dropped him. They obviously wanted him. 

Monk made little good here and his decision to drop Penney was one in long line of his poor decision. Remind me, how many games we won after he got dropped with Iorfa and Luongo in our side? 

Pulis plays with 4 central defenders and that is why there wasn't place for him in his side. Another manager who made series of poor decisions and I don’t se why his decision not to play Penney must be only good one he made in his time here?! 

If they wanted to keep him why would they still put him on the bench and play him?

He only completed about 7/8 90 minutes with St Pauli. The rest he was either on the bench or taken off.

He’s clearly available for a move, so if what you’re saying about his ability is true, I expect more than Swindon Town to be interested.

Stinks of a Ash Baker / Jordan Thorniley situation, where everyone over eggs their ability and now one can’t get a game for Newport and the other can’t get in the Blackpool squad 

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

If they wanted to keep him why would they still put him on the bench and play him?

He only completed about 7/8 90 minutes with St Pauli. The rest he was either on the bench or taken off.

He’s clearly available for a move, so if what you’re saying about his ability is true, I expect more than Swindon Town to be interested.

Stinks of a Ash Baker / Jordan Thorniley situation, where everyone over eggs their ability and now one can’t get a game for Newport and the other can’t get in the Blackpool squad 

I also expect that better sides than Swindon will get interested. God knows if Swindon's interest is real or if there is interest from another clubs we are yet to hear about. 

But in all honesty, if player like Kieran Lee can't get himself fixed with better side than Bolton curently is it is hard to predict anything. 

Just now, malek said:

I also expect that better sides than Swindon will get interested. God knows if Swindon's interest is real or if there is interest from another clubs we are yet to hear about. 

But in all honesty, if player like Kieran Lee can't get himself fixed with better side than Bolton curently is it is hard to predict anything. 

The latter part I’ll give you. Deep down I hope it’s purely because he wants to be closer to home with his young family and not a reflection on his ability now...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

strange  isnt it that those  who have  hardly seen him  play rate him and yet the professionals that have shy away from him .....then you have fox who most have seen plenty of and  is  slaughtered  but gets a move to a better team .......what  do the proles not see that pro's do ? ......

I could understand it if it was just one manager who didn't choose to pick him as they may not have seen eye to eye or have a way of playing that wasn't suited. 

At least 3 managers have not seen enough in him and no other managers at this level are currently showing any interest. We have no other left-sided full-back or wing back and yet 2 managers have still not picked him. 

Nothing against him but if he was being unjustly left out then I would have expected a few clubs higher than 23rd in the 3rd division to be wanting to take him.  

1 hour ago, malek said:

So St Pauli took him on a year long loan and were impressed by him but cut off their nose to spite their face by not playing him because he was never going to stay?

He was never a regular in their side at any point.

1 hour ago, malek said:

Penney only signed a contract extension on June 5th. 

He made 4 appearances after that including getting subbed off at half-time in one game and a 4-0 defeat in another. 

1 hour ago, malek said:

is that a fact or just your opinion ........

It’s a pity we don’t have a permanent manager to decide whether to keep Penney or let him go out on loan or sell.

He needs a run of games at SWFC or at another club.  Only then can we judge.  

Tin hat on time but as an example, Morgan Fox looked a much better player when he had a run of games in the team.  

We literally have zero left backs in the squad...and he still can’t get a game

His first two loans he didn’t get on the pitch

His third loan he seemed to do ok but was in and out of the side 

He was poor in the two league games this season 

23 years old in Feb and hasn’t even started 15 Championship games

All of the above is apparently nothing to do with the player and 100% the fault of all the managers who didn’t pick him, the club who failed to develop him and the fans who didn’t support him.

Sounds like someone we really need to be signing up

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313

He always looks like he’s decent with the ball and can cross.. so that gives him a chance. Some of the others we played at a similar time like that Baker had no talent. 

However, positionally he looks all over the place. That’s why managers don’t play him. Looked very good vs Walsall where there’s less pressure to defend. 

It’s the sort of thing that should have been coached in to him but we’ve failed him. Probably too old to make it at this level now.. he’ll have a decent career in the lower leagues