The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

59 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Sheffield Wednesday have reportedly prioritised the signing of a new goalkeeper ahead of the 2021/22 campaign. With that in mind, here we look at three options they should be eyeing up.

Reports emerged from Yorkshire Live on Monday stating that Darren Moore has prioritised the addition of a new shot-stopper this summer.

Next Up

Joe Wildsmith could be let go, with the report stating he faces a big pre-season. As it stands, he and Cameron Dawson are the only two options available after Kieren Westwood’s departure.

Here are three goalkeepers Wednesday should consider moving for ahead of the new 

Josef Bursik – Stoke City

The 21-year-old is highly rated by the Potters, so this would almost certainly have to be a loan move.

However, with Jack Bonham and Adam Davies available in between the sticks for Stoke, it could be wise for the Championship side to send Bursik out on loan to a club like Sheffield Wednesday for next season.

The England U21 international made a good impression when involved in Michael O’Neill’s side, keeping seven clean sheets in 16 games. He also impressed in emergency loan stints with Peterborough United and Lincoln City last season.

Jamal Blackman – free agent

After being let go by Chelsea, Blackman is available on a free transfer this summer.

Wednesday would be getting a ‘keeper with plenty of Football League pedigree if they swooped in for the 27-year-old. He has spent much of his career out on loan, most recently spending time with Rotherham United.

Following his Chelsea release, Blackman will be looking to settle down with a new club and impress as he enters the next chapter of his career.

Josh Griffiths – West Brom

The recent Cheltenham Town loan star has already been linked with the Owls this summer. However, links seem to have gone cold, with a temporary switch to Lincoln City rumoured.

Wednesday would be wise to reignite their interest in Griffiths, however. He starred in Cheltenham’s promotion-winning campaign, keeping 23 clean sheets in 50 games.

Blackman was a joke of a keeper last season at Rotherham 

he looked like a competition winner making numbers up 

59 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Sheffield Wednesday have reportedly prioritised the signing of a new goalkeeper ahead of the 2021/22 campaign. With that in mind, here we look at three options they should be eyeing up.

Reports emerged from Yorkshire Live on Monday stating that Darren Moore has prioritised the addition of a new shot-stopper this summer.

Next Up

Joe Wildsmith could be let go, with the report stating he faces a big pre-season. As it stands, he and Cameron Dawson are the only two options available after Kieren Westwood’s departure.

Here are three goalkeepers Wednesday should consider moving for ahead of the new 

Josef Bursik – Stoke City

The 21-year-old is highly rated by the Potters, so this would almost certainly have to be a loan move.

However, with Jack Bonham and Adam Davies available in between the sticks for Stoke, it could be wise for the Championship side to send Bursik out on loan to a club like Sheffield Wednesday for next season.

The England U21 international made a good impression when involved in Michael O’Neill’s side, keeping seven clean sheets in 16 games. He also impressed in emergency loan stints with Peterborough United and Lincoln City last season.

Jamal Blackman – free agent

After being let go by Chelsea, Blackman is available on a free transfer this summer.

Wednesday would be getting a ‘keeper with plenty of Football League pedigree if they swooped in for the 27-year-old. He has spent much of his career out on loan, most recently spending time with Rotherham United.

Following his Chelsea release, Blackman will be looking to settle down with a new club and impress as he enters the next chapter of his career.

Josh Griffiths – West Brom

The recent Cheltenham Town loan star has already been linked with the Owls this summer. However, links seem to have gone cold, with a temporary switch to Lincoln City rumoured.

Wednesday would be wise to reignite their interest in Griffiths, however. He starred in Cheltenham’s promotion-winning campaign, keeping 23 clean sheets in 50 games.

would definitely take Griffiths. I may be wrong but didn’t Blackman make quite a few mistakes at Rotherham? 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Many players won't score 10 points, though. The kind of players we might attract, for example.

As the article explains:

It is likely, though, that clubs in the EFL will feel an effect and particularly those in the Championship, such as Brentford or Norwich City, who have built models around acquiring talented players from obscure places. Bryan Mbeumo, the Brentford forward who is one of the best players in the Championship, came from the French second division with only limited first-team appearances and youth international caps. He would not have got a permit, as would have been the case with the Norwich striker Teemu Pukki as Finland fall outside the Fifa top 50 and his former club, Brøndby, compete in the Danish league, a band 5 competition.

Again, not true. The narrative fits the anti-Brexit Guardian ‘interpretation’. 

They quote: The Greek Superliga is a band 4 competition. That means you get six points for being selected for a match in the past year and a maximum of six points more based on your appearance record.

So, a handful of appearances in the Greek league, gets you 10-12 points and over to the panel…

3 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Blackman was a joke of a keeper last season at Rotherham 

he looked like a competition winner making numbers up 

1 minute ago, EcclesallOwl said:

He’s a really bad keeper

I don't know much about him but  a quick search of his stats show him to have a similar clean sheet ratio to both Wildsmith and Dawson (slightly worse than both of these). Now considering how bad our two are (by all accounts on here) why would we be after a similar/slightly worse player at extra expense? I guess the fact he's someone different is good enough for many on here. 

6 minutes ago, Pieman said:

They quote: The Greek Superliga is a band 4 competition. That means you get six points for being selected for a match in the past year and a maximum of six points more based on your appearance record.

So, a handful of appearances in the Greek league, gets you 10-12 points and over to the panel…

No, you're wrong.

Look, here's the table from the FA's document which details how points are allocated.

image.png.ce5dee1de03097e87f471f6236d3b8d0.png

If we pretend a "handful of appearances" in the Greek Superliga is 49% of possible gametime over the course of a season, we see that a player would be awarded 1 point. So, that's 7 points. Rejected.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Less than 2 weeks until our first competitive game and so much work still to do. We simply can’t go in to the new season without a new number one and at least one new out and out striker. To leave these signings until the last days of the transfer window would be a disaster. 

Market seems to be incredibly slow in general. I don't think it's just us. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pieman said:

As with most Brexit-related things, you could argue that forcing clubs to develop more homegrown players is a good thing, but it's just daft to pretend that nothing will change.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

No, you're wrong.

Look, here's the table from the FA's document which details how points are allocated.

If we pretend a "handful of appearances" in the Greek Superliga is 49% of possible gametime over the course of a season, we see that a player would be awarded 1 point. So, that's 7 points. Rejected.

Please quit with your well thought out, evidenced arguments. we all know this is just project fear and the "I know what my eyes tell me" crowd don't like facts, figures or evidence. Maybe, when the transfer window has SLAMMED shut we can review transfers and point out the obscure players from foreign lower leagues, or the lack thereof.    

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Also, why are you pretending you need 10-12 points and you'll just be let in because the panel likes you?

Again, this is taken directly from the FA's document

image.png.85dfd2b077f5972ed9cec728dd50004f.png

So, you need 15 points, not 10, and unless you can prove exceptional circumstances, any player (non-youth) will be rejected from signing. It seems very disingenuous to pretend any European player that gets awarded 10 points has a decent change of getting accepted on appeal... why are you doing so?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

No, you're wrong.

Again, it can be easy manipulated. Like Urgy, he came into the team late in the season, once he was picked, it can be argued he played 80-90% of the time. As stated in your article, it’s a field day for lawyers and agents and as I said, little will change.

6 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Again, it can be easy manipulated. Like Urgy, he came into the team late in the season, once he was picked, it can be argued he played 80-90% of the time. As stated in your article, it’s a field day for lawyers and agents and as I said, little will change.

... What? 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Blackman is still a free agent. Was first choice for the first part of last season when on loan at Rotherham, then Johansson got the nod for the last few months of the season.

A couple of other experienced keepers that are free agents and worth considering;

Luke Daniels (Brentford)

Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham)

I'd get him in on loan. Looked excellent against us. Won them that game. 

7 hours ago, Brad_owl said:

But Palmer is just average on his good days at RB nevermind LB and CB.

Hunt would never be on double, id actually say he would be on less than Palmer is if he signs.

I don't see why it is bad business. 

Hunt will not be on less than £10k and will not take a drop in wages to join us.

Palmer is a 6/7 out of 10 player most games for us he filled in a left back when we had none, he was asked to play centre back and did very well and he keeps himself fit, rarely has had lengthy injury absence, for a team in the mess we are he is to perfect pro and wont be on as much as others in the squad.

People have rose tinted glasses for ex players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Hunt will not be on less than £10k and will not take a drop in wages to join us.

Palmer is a 6/7 out of 10 player most games for us he filled in a left back when we had none, he was asked to play centre back and did very well and he keeps himself fit, rarely has had lengthy injury absence, for a team in the mess we are he is to perfect pro and wont be on as much as others in the squad.

People have rose tinted glasses for ex players.

Palmer has gone stale here, never been a good player. As Wednesday fans we love to be content with OK. His versatility and fitness is something you can't argue with and he did have a purple patch a while back but apart from that, for me his career at Wednesday has just been, OK.

I'm never one for signing ex players. As for Hunt i'm not big fan myself but i do think he is a better right back than Palmer. If we get a fee for Palmer then business wise it makes sense.  Id prefer a pacey young Premier league loanee for that role to be honest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I thought they had him on loan from Leicester. Didn't realise it was a permanent transfer. 

59 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

I did tbf but google says permanently pal

Yes, Johansson was released last Summer by Leicester and was a free agent when signed by Rotherham.

At 22 he's younger than Dawson (26) and Wildsmith (25).