The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

3 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

You need some balance and experience, solid established back line to enable the young and hungry to go and attack?

So a back line of Borner, Hutch and Iorfa is needing some experience then we must be shopping in the veteran market then as these three have about 30 years of experience between them.lol

1 minute ago, striker said:

Fair point, but they'd still get their wages topped up and considering our first competitive game is 1st August, does that show enough commitment to a new employer?

No it doesn’t, but it seems to be the given excuse why none of our released players have signed for anyone yet. Do they get their wages “topped up” by their old club if they sign elsewhere for less money? Not heard that before. So that’s not why our released players haven’t got new clubs then?

1 minute ago, EcclesallOwl said:

Hunt signing may also eliminate the need for another CB if Borner leaves - Palmer covering at RCB if needed and Hutchinson becoming the LCB

That's a very good point. While I think we've looked clumsy playing 343 so far this pre season, I do think Palmer has done well at RCB in a three in the past. The right hand side with Hunt and Palmer covering, would be strong, as it would with Iorfa too to be fair.

9 minutes ago, striker said:

Window closes 31st August, we'd have played 6 competitive games by then in league and cup. Hope we have some strikers and a competent GK before then. 

Less than a fortnight until the first of those games to recruit at both ends of the pitch, get some fitness in them and some tactical work. 

But it's the same sh.it every pre season isn't it , we have NEVER done all our business by the first match , why I don't know ? Always have to play catch up 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Jack Marriott.

Sorry i should have been more specific the last player we signed in a striker roll not including loan players though I think there was more sighting of lord luken last season than Marriott.

The last striker we signed was.......Jordan Rhodes on 31st January 2017 on a 6 month loan which was then made permanent in the summer of that year.

So we have not signed a striker on a permanent basic for about 4 and half years and 8 transfer windows.

8 minutes ago, Watto said:

But it's the same sh.it every pre season isn't it , we have NEVER done all our business by the first match , why I don't know ? Always have to play catch up 

Exactly, every year we have interviews of every manager talking about the importance of pre season, base fitness, being robust etc.....then we sign someone who's been sat on their arse all summer, who needs to 'get up to speed, get match fit' and then invariably picks up a muscular injury keeping them out until Christmas, then again on and off until the end of the season after their aborted return to the team. 

Ok, players may not be available (yet other clubs are finding players to sign) but it's a false economy to save a months wages to then have to pay a full seasons wages to someone for hardly kicking a ball. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So a back line of Borner, Hutch and Iorfa is needing some experience then we must be shopping in the veteran market then as these three have about 30 years of experience between them.lol

Not the point I was making, but i doubt all those 3 will be here come September, so maybe Brennan etc get to play and would need a bit of help

Playing wingback or full back Hunt could also help those players around him

16 minutes ago, owl84 said:

So we are thinking we could do similar to Hull who got relegated released a load of players, kept players that apparently weren’t good enough for the championship, had a keeper that shipped loads then walked league 1?

How are they the same group of players if we’ve released 14 of them? Maybe those 14 were the issue? I’m pretty sure we won’t just be bringing in 3 new players. 

We struggled for goals in the division above we are in a league with a lot less quality now and competitiveness. The championship is probably the most competitive league in the world. We will be challenging for the top 6 next season and should get in it even with the squad we have now. 

Nah more likely we will do a Wigan, get relegated not be allow to sign any players due to financial issues, dealing in cheap loans and kids and end up struggling at the wrong end hoping that either some of the kids come good or someone buy the club to get us out of the mess.

Hull City last season signed 10 players and had 4 loan signing, they paid big fees for a few players including Malik Wilks.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Or we are getting desperate and just signing any ex player with an owls link. Wait for Jacob Butterfield and George Boyd incoming.

lol

Jack Hunt does not exactly fit the young and hungry team we were told we were building though.

Didn’t you say we couldn’t rely solely on younger players though?

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Not the point I was making, but i doubt all those 3 will be here come September, so maybe Brennan etc get to play and would need a bit of help

Playing wingback or full back Hunt could also help those players around him

I get your point but signing old players rarely works out and Hunt will be looking for that last big payday.

He isn't going to sign on for £3,000 or £4,000 a week he will be waiting £10k+ and we simple cannot afford these wages in league one.

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Didn’t you say we couldn’t rely solely on younger players though?

Nope but we have an experience right back already at the club, we don't need another one unless palmer is to be sold, and being as he is in the last year of his deal, having been at the club since he was a kid the likely chance of him being sold are low. Why would be have an experience player sat on the bench, or play either hunt or palmer out of position, then have to play kids up front because we wasted all of our budget on right backs.

Its the recruitment errors of the past when we didn't sign the players we needed instead we sign players that were available.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Plonk said:

No it doesn’t, but it seems to be the given excuse why none of our released players have signed for anyone yet. Do they get their wages “topped up” by their old club if they sign elsewhere for less money? Not heard that before. So that’s not why our released players haven’t got new clubs then?

I think none of our players have signed anywhere because firstly for over 2 years they were crap and over paid on excessive wages that no sane person would pay them at a well run football club.

Lees is returning from injury, Penney (Ipswich), Odabajo (likely QPR), Pelupessy (Turkey), Rhodes (Huddersfield), Shaw and Urhoghide (Celtic), JVA (Waregem)

So that leaves just Westwood, Reach, Harris, Lees and Kachunga yet to find new clubs not exactly many of the 14 players that left still being paid by the club is there. Maybe £70-100k a week between the 4 of them.

• Like 1

Article on Tyreece John-Jules from Arsenal states they're reviewing loan options for him with League 1 the likely step. I wouldn't mind him being one of the strikers we are after. Did decent for Donny last year, their fans liked him. Attributes look perfect flr a striker too. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I get your point but signing old players rarely works out and Hunt will be looking for that last big payday.

He isn't going to sign on for £3,000 or £4,000 a week he will be waiting £10k+ and we simple cannot afford these wages in league one.

I guess that he knows the salary framework we are applying this season, if true he must fit into it. I agree £10k p.w. is completely wrong for a full back, we may need to spend that on a striker

54 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Nope but we have an experience right back already at the club, we don't need another one unless palmer is to be sold, and being as he is in the last year of his deal, having been at the club since he was a kid the likely chance of him being sold are low. Why would be have an experience player sat on the bench, or play either hunt or palmer out of position, then have to play kids up front because we wasted all of our budget on right backs.

Its the recruitment errors of the past when we didn't sign the players we needed instead we sign players that were available.

Absolutely.

It seems that all our planning will bring us in situation to have 2 experienced and highly paid right back and 2 back up left backs. Not to mention lacking a first choice keeper, playmaker, at very least one experienced striker...

• Like 2
  • Love 1