Paul Cook

People saying what might have changed since pulis appointment? Well this new advisor suddenly appeared from nowhere? Despite dc ssying he been involved for 12 month? His sudden appearance both on social media and dc admitting it seems more recent thing than he admitting to? Now prob not correct but hopefully dc seen the light reality has kicked in and realised everything the shadowy one says isn’t gospel? Pulis was linked to chicken man was he not? Don’t think dc will have changed but this might be the new bloke pushing him? 

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think it's a bit of a leap to say things like that. 

Paul Cook will have his ways/methods of managing clubs, he’s had a degree of success everywhere he’s been 

What makes you think he’s going to change those methods to work under a transfer committee for example ? 

Can we at least be spared the tedious and pedantic discussion about Wigan last season this time?

Cook had them miles clear of danger despite having a bang average squad, the owners pulled the plug and in came a points deduction you’d need a miracle to survive given the timing - and he damn near kept them up anyway.

So far as I can see he hasn’t failed at a single club after his very first job at Southport (who changed managers every five minutes in that era).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Paul Cook will have his ways/methods of managing clubs, he’s had a degree of success everywhere he’s been 

What makes you think he’s going to change those methods to work under a transfer committee for example ? 

Because it's his job to do what his boss tells him to do. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I've only ever been this right and felt this strongly on this occasion

Any other time with managers I'm 'Meh... let's just support them until they're not here anymore' (which as you will remember I got absolutely slated for last time with Monk)

I understand that. I'm afraid I watch football at quite an emotional level and I'm not good with tactics and so forth. Therefore while I'm able to enjoy the game while it's being played and have some idea about formations etc I'm not well enough informed about managers  before they  come to hold or contest strong opinions that others have.

5 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Sometimes people can take too much time looking at CVs. Cook has won promotions in the past yes... all in lower league and all with clubs with big budgets for that league. 

We need a manager that’s want to play attacking football, a manager that will unite the fans. Will cook do that? Not so sure. 

Yes, fair point. By that logic he should have been here while Chansiri was splashing the cash 😀

No managerial appointment is guaranteed, but of the names linked, the best choice so far IMO. Let's see who the other 4 are, considering Nixon suggested a short list of 5. 

Just now, Rev Owl said:

I understand that. I'm afraid I watch football at quite an emotional level and I'm not good with tactics and so forth. Therefore while I'm able to enjoy the game while it's being played and have some idea about formations etc I'm not well enough informed about managers  before they  come to hold or contest strong opinions that others have.

I'm even more ignorant than that

I love to get excited by the upcoming games (and do!)

I love watching the team run out

I love watching us attacking and not defending for 90 minutes

Tactics/Formations come last for me in terms of my enjoyment of it all

I just wanna see fast paced attacks and goals going in

I only got all extreme about Pulis because he was a definite route to none of that happening

Pulis did exactly what I knew, said and predicted he would. That doesn't mean I'm bigging my prediction up or claiming I'm in the know or trying to score point or anything, it's just that it was so obvious what was going to happen.

Most definitely didn't expect the disciple like conversion of Wednesday fans to 'Well this is the only way to play. He's right to be playing a 8-2-0 formation and defending for 90 minutes, and I don't care how bad the football is as long as we win' 

Wednesday fans have never been like that in my entire lifetime and I was so so gutted when they started trying to persuade me to join their cult and jump aboard the Pulis train to defenceville miserytown

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Can we at least be spared the tedious and pedantic discussion about Wigan last season this time?

Cook had them miles clear of danger despite having a bang average squad, the owners pulled the plug and in came a points deduction you’d need a miracle to survive given the timing - and he damn near kept them up anyway.

So far as I can see he hasn’t failed at a single club after his very first job at Southport (who changed managers every five minutes in that era).

Could say the same about the Cowleys tbh.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I only got all extreme about Pulis because he was a definite route to none of that happening

Pulis did exactly what I knew, said and predicted he would. That doesn't mean I'm bigging my prediction up or claiming I'm in the know or trying to score point or anything, it's just that it was so obvious what was going to happen.

Most definitely didn't expect the disciple like conversion of Wednesday fans to 'Well this is the only way to play. He's right to be playing a 8-2-0 formation and defending for 90 minutes, and I don't care how bad the football is as long as we win' 

Wednesday fans have never been like that in my entire lifetime and I was so so gutted when they started trying to persuade me to join their cult and jump aboard the Pulis train to defenceville miserytown

Absolutely. 

9 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Didn't Wigan have a recruitment department/committee too? 

Just now, striker said:

Didn't Wigan have a recruitment department/committee too? 

No idea to be fair,  hopefully I’m totally wrong and if Cook is the man it’s a partnership than can work 

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pulis was like pulis on steroids this time. Can't remember his old teams playing like that

• Haha 1