Paul Cook

3 minutes ago, Sweet Shezza said:

Cook and Bruce have won promotions. Bruce many times. I don’t think Monk has ever won anything. 

League 1 and 2 promotions for Cook. Monk has managed in the premier league. Cook hasn’t?

I thought Paul Cook was the manager and personality we needed following Monk's dismissal. And, my opinion hasn't changed too much since then.

This club craves a character. We love a straight-talker, and a vibrant personality. Look down the years, Atkinson, Sturrock, Megson, Carvalhal...even Bruce during his short spell. All created an atmosphere that got the fans fully behind the team. And they all had similar traits, despite been unique themselves.

Cook is similar. He's infectious. He's positive. But more importantly, he's been successful at every club he's been at (Accrington aside). 

I accept people's reservations about his record in the Championship, and they are valid concerns. And that's why I could understands Chansiri's decision to opt for a more proven manger in Pulis last time round. 

But things are different now, despite the relatively short time between the two appointments. 

Our reputation within football, amongst football men, is rock bottom. Chansiri's treatment of Pulis (whether rightly or wrongly) won't have gone unnoticed, and I feel we are now forced into two options:

-English managers willing to overlook all those concerns with the club hierarchy for the chance to manage a club the size of ours, they perhaps wouldn't have a chance otherwise. Cook and Cowley are two prime examples.

-Foreign managers willing to come in without the knowledge of how the club is run in the detail like pundits/managers do within England itself.

The only things I'd question about this link...Cook wasn't even considered last time. Not contacted, not shortlisted. Despite his availability and willingness to discuss the job. What's changed? And it perhaps epitomises our disjointed, random approach to the whole process. Given it was little over a couple of months ago, I'd have thought, those who are shortlisted and discussed last time, would be high upon that list again. The exaggerated flip-flopping between manager targets does worry me somewhat, but doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

I think people just want Paul Cook because he’s the best known realistic  domestic name,  I don’t see how he fits in at our club ,  he won’t work under the set up the owner has in place therefore I really think it’s a non starter 

It’s alright ranting and raving about the why’s and what’s in terms of the set up, but what’s more important for me is finding a manager who CAN work under Chansiri because I still think we can comfortably stay up with the right man in charge  

To be fair we could stay up if we gave the job to Barry Bannan or the lady who works in Bere's

Staying up this season is a given. It's easy doable and always has been

The issue is next season and progression

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I liked the sound of that Torrent bloke who worked under Pep. Is he still under consideration. I’m leaning more towards going under the foreign route for 2 reasons really. 1. I think they have more of an idea on stamping an identity as this is really pressed overseas, and 2. DC has proven he has unsustainable relationships with English managers, and doesn’t like their style.

That being said it wouldn’t be Groundhog Day for me if we appointed Cook, there’s just something telling me it wouldn’t work 

Just now, Rev Owl said:

Once again, you were right.

Well done. 🙂

I've only ever been this right and felt this strongly on this occasion

Any other time with managers I'm 'Meh... let's just support them until they're not here anymore' (which as you will remember I got absolutely slated for last time with Monk)

Owlstalk Shop

I'm warming to this idea. Three league titles - all with clubs that were on a real slump when he took them over and 3 cups won in Ireland. With very limited resources at Wigan (£12m per year wage bill, the 21st largest in the division - ours was £29 million for comparison) he guided them to 18th in the league (52 pts) and then 13th in the league (59 pts)*.

*there's no point mentioning the points reduction as that was nothing to do with him. Safe to say, with our 6 pt deduction, 59 pts would be more than enough if he could repeat that performance.

1 minute ago, S72 Owl said:

League 1 and 2 promotions for Cook. Monk has managed in the premier league. Cook hasn’t?

trevor francis managed in premier league but that didnt make him a top manager , carlos managed every club in europe and won nothing again that dont make him a good manager. paul cook make him an owl. 

1 minute ago, morganowl said:

trevor francis managed in premier league but that didnt make him a top manager , carlos managed every club in europe and won nothing again that dont make him a good manager. 

Well thanks a lot

Was having a good day till you brought those two up

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, striker said:

He did, you're right. Wigan had a poor start to the season. 

You're also right, a foreign manager is a gamble, I'd suggest greater so than someone like Cook. Sometimes it may look impressive or exotic  to have promotions or cup wins on a CV from abroad , but which is most relevant a cup win in Japan for example or promotion from L1.

Difficult to judge until we know some of the other names linked, foreign or otherwise.

If at hope DC doesn't rush it this time, does his due diligence and picks someone he can work with. 

Sometimes people can take too much time looking at CVs. Cook has won promotions in the past yes... all in lower league and all with clubs with big budgets for that league. 

We need a manager that’s want to play attacking football, a manager that will unite the fans. Will cook do that? Not so sure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

To be fair we could stay up if we gave the job to Barry Bannan or the lady who works in Bere's

Staying up this season is a given. It's easy doable and always has been

The issue is next season and progression

Next season and progression comes later

The issue at hand is staying in the Championship

2 minutes ago, morganowl said:

trevor francis managed in premier league but that didnt make him a top manager , carlos managed every club in europe and won nothing again that dont make him a good manager. paul cook make him an owl. 

That’s kind of my point too. I’m not saying Monk is a top manager.

8 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I think people just want Paul Cook because he’s the best known realistic  domestic name,  I don’t see how he fits in at our club ,  he won’t work under the set up the owner has in place therefore I really think it’s a non starter 

It’s alright ranting and raving about the why’s and what’s in terms of the set up, but what’s more important for me is finding a manager who CAN work under Chansiri because I still think we can comfortably stay up with the right man in charge 

We need another Carlos type appointment, an enthusiastic foreign coach who’s gonna fall in love with the club and work under the current set up, likes of Paul Cook are going to immediately clash heads over the way we do transfer business under Chansiri 

Got me thinking this. I honestly do wonder if half the reason I want Cook is because it would be an appointment that doesn’t smell of DC’s “advisers”.