Paul Cook

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Is he a long ball merchant? I didn’t know that, then it’s a big NO from me. That’s the last thing we need, somebody else taking us down that particular route

No, I’ve watched enough of him over the years. It was one of the most I’ve been entertained watching football. 

Just now, Road Runner said:

No, I’ve watched enough of him over the years. It was one of the most I’ve been entertained watching football. 

That sounds good then

Maybe there's something to be said for folks like Cook and Ryan Lowe who were brought up watching silky Liverpool teams

Owlstalk Shop

Under Thompson we haven’t looked or set up much different from pulis? Stats pretty much the same ? Possession and shots at goal? The difference is we’ve had W bit of luck we didn’t get at Norwich or Blackburn? We need players through the door and a manager/ coach to try get them to accumulate enough points to stop up? I’m not both whether British or foreign whoever it is they got a job working at the mad house unless this new advisor is gona have more of an input than you know who? Cook for me would be an ideal choice not worked with much money signed some exiting players for Wigan that have gone on to bigger clubs and usually plays attractive football 

• Like 1

I’ve been an advocate of Cook the last couple of times the job has been available. What impresses me most is that he’s had repeated success - and not success in the Pulis sense of keeping teams in divisions but actually getting teams out of divisions and winning lots of games.

At Sligo in Ireland he won three cups, then at Chesterfield he won the title, at Portsmouth he won the title and at Wigan he won the title.  I don’t see Wigan then being relegated as a major failure considering the state the club was in and the points deduction although I’d obviously hope he could do a tad better if he came to Wednesday!

To have won three cups and three titles with four different clubs suggests he must be doing something very very right. 

And the only Wednesday manager to win a trophy in my lifetime was born in Liverpool so....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

You would, but this is football. As we’ve seen with Jos/Westwood/Hutchinson and Monk/Westwood/Hutchinson, clashes seem to end in exile. Windass’ comments about staff at Wigan were pretty damning. Can we risk it?

Fair point, suppose it's down to DC to decide if Cook is worth sacrificing Windass if relationship so bad. 

Guest LondonOwl313
15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Apart from getting relegated from the Championship in his last job you mean?

He accumulated more points than Garry Monk managed last season. Imagine what he could have achieved with Kieren Westwood, Sam Hutchinson, Fernando Forestieri and Steven Fletcher amongst his options

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I really like how Ryan Lowe talks

Nothing to do with his managerial skills or style or ability

I just like how positively he speaks

Me too but I think there's too much going on for someone with relatively little experience! 

I'd take him. 

Seems to be a man with a plan. 

Has an energy and and drive to him. 

With this squad and the lack of funds the main thing ANY candidate is going to need is man managment. 

Don't know where he scores on that. 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I’ve been an advocate of Cook the last couple of times the job has been available. What impresses me most is that he’s had repeated success - and not success in the Pulis sense of keeping teams in divisions but actually getting teams out of divisions and winning lots of games.

At Sligo in Ireland he won three cups, then at Chesterfield he won the title, at Portsmouth he won the title and at Wigan he won the title.  I don’t see Wigan then being relegated as a major failure considering the state the club was in and the points deduction although I’d obviously hope he could do a tad better if he came to Wednesday!

To have won three cups and three titles with four different clubs suggests he must be doing something very very right. 

And the only Wednesday manager to win a trophy in my lifetime was born in Liverpool so....

That's a fair summary. Sure some will scoff at the level he achieved his success, but still takes a certain mindset and skill to win a competition, never mind several on a fairly consistent basis. 

• Like 2

Cook is just the same as hiring Monk or Pulis or Bruce. Everyone keeps going on about that Wigan team last season. They had a fantastic run for about 2 months...so did Monk last season too. 

I think I’d gamble on another foreign manager again.