Paul Cook

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

Cook’s record isn’t that bad and if we go down, he’s the type of manager who would stand a chance of taking us straight back up but it’s a coach we need not a manager.

You only have to look at what Thompson has done in a short space of time with this squad. He encourages and cajoles which this squad will respond to. Cook already has issues with Windass and it wouldn’t be long before he had issues with others? Let’s face it with a voice like his, he’s hardly softly spoken?

If he gets it, I hope he proves me wrong but I can only see another car crash if DC appoints another British Manager from outside the club?

Agree with that, his voice though, everyone will have a headache after press conferences. 

I agree what you are saying about L1 but I believe he's shown he's capable at championship level. I don't see him getting us beyond mid table, but do think he can bring some stability.

I think Thompson's done great, but  with limited responsibility...easier for supply teachers to give the kids haribo to perform in the short term, but it's a different matter long term in a permanent role.

Cook is far from faultless, but has shown he can work with players of limited quality and limited  budget. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, talon said:

"Cook has tended to put his trust in a 4-2-3-1 formation during his managerial career, especially over the last couple of years at Wigan. He makes use of a sturdy double-pivot to help protect a traditional back four, with a physically robust defensive structure all-in-all.

The focus is on defending first and going from there, which was particularly successful in the final weeks of last season, in which Cook’s Latics registered 10 clean sheets from the last 14 matches.

Last term, in particular, their play was geared around the out-ball to towering Wales international Kieffer Moore up front. Only Preston and QPR completed more long balls in the Championship last term."

So, that'll be Hutch coming back, to play in front of the back four with Luongo, And I hope Big Dave bought a return ticket....

4 minutes ago, talon said:

"Cook has tended to put his trust in a 4-2-3-1 formation during his managerial career, especially over the last couple of years at Wigan. He makes use of a sturdy double-pivot to help protect a traditional back four, with a physically robust defensive structure all-in-all.

The focus is on defending first and going from there, which was particularly successful in the final weeks of last season, in which Cook’s Latics registered 10 clean sheets from the last 14 matches.

Last term, in particular, their play was geared around the out-ball to towering Wales international Kieffer Moore up front. Only Preston and QPR completed more long balls in the Championship last term."

Changed mi mind .... Next

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I can’t really see how the last couple of games have been any different to under Pulis.. we’ve got the results yes, but got on the right side of the margins. Yesterday I can only remember 2 or 3 attacks and we scored one scrappy goal. Derby had 3 really easy chances in the first half an hour and we got lucky. Not complaining but I can’t see what Thompson has done that’s much different 

I guess it is the man management which is where the difference is, something that you can't see. Maybe a switch giving the players more responsibility rather than playing to the set patterns with a consequence for not doing so?

He is hardly going to make us Barcelona with the same unbalanced squad and only a days notice before the first game....oh and he is not Pulis which some players will appreciate

9 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Lol them winning league 1 in his first season was absolutely dire. He did well

enough with a newly promoted small

club. He’s the only British manager on the list who is realistic and has a good enough track record. If not him it will

be a hit or miss foreign manager 

It was more about what he’s done at Championship level, but as I said, I wouldn’t be against his appointment. Dave Jones won us promotion from League One, but it wouldn’t necessary make him a good candidate for us right now. A foreign manager? Well most of the successful coaches in the top two divisions, are from overseas, so if we’re looking to modernise the club, going down that route has appeal. Maybe Cook can oversee such a process, I don’t know, but there is a reason the more forward looking clubs turn to overseas candidates

13 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I can’t really see how the last couple of games have been any different to under Pulis.. we’ve got the results yes, but got on the right side of the margins. Yesterday I can only remember 2 or 3 attacks and we scored one scrappy goal. Derby had 3 really easy chances in the first half an hour and we got lucky. Not complaining but I can’t see what Thompson has done that’s much different 

He can only work with what he’s got which isn’t much granted. What he’s got is a shift from the players. They’ve run through a brick wall for him the last 2 games. They didn’t break sweat in 12 months for Monk/Pulis. Cook comes in then he’s got an immediate problem with Windass for a start. He’s our joint top scorer so that makes him a key player does it not? Still think we’ll go foreign. I can see Viera coming in to the frame soon?

31 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I hate getting new managers

Every one of them makes me want to cry

I don't want anyone in particular

I don't want anyone

No managers at SWFC please 

TA

Owlstalk members should be appointed to the manager role and do it by committee. Should be no problem we always agree. 

• Haha 2

He definitely likes a team wearing blue. We would be his fourth club on the bounce with a predominantly blue kit. I don’t give a throw about his Dyche-style voice. He’s quite a fiery character on the touch line which the support will like. Much preferable to the other names at the top end of the betting. Get him signed up before another blue team sack their manager (Birmingham).