Paul Cook

2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

No idea to be fair,  hopefully I’m totally wrong and if Cook is the man it’s a partnership than can work 

Neither do I, but don't think that would be the sticking point.

Aligning with whatever DC's philosophy is, maybe the most important element and importantly someone he wants to work with (and knows their first name 😀). I don't think Chansiri has had that kind of working relationship since Carlos. 

Still think Paul Cook is one of those like Ben Marshall and Jordan Rhodes who has just got better and better in people’s eyes the longer they don’t come. 

I wouldn’t be against him coming in and would be behind him if so, but I do think that too many people just jump on the bandwagon. 

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Thompson and Bullen are the only ones who I think will be able to work under the chairman. They know him, how he operates, they know the players and the club inside out.

I would love Cook but I don’t think he’d last under this chairman. 

Foreign managers have proven to work with him 

21 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I thought Paul Cook was the manager and personality we needed following Monk's dismissal. And, my opinion hasn't changed too much since then.

This club craves a character. We love a straight-talker, and a vibrant personality. Look down the years, Atkinson, Sturrock, Megson, Carvalhal...even Bruce during his short spell. All created an atmosphere that got the fans fully behind the team. And they all had similar traits, despite been unique themselves.

Cook is similar. He's infectious. He's positive. But more importantly, he's been successful at every club he's been at (Accrington aside). 

I accept people's reservations about his record in the Championship, and they are valid concerns. And that's why I could understands Chansiri's decision to opt for a more proven manger in Pulis last time round. 

But things are different now, despite the relatively short time between the two appointments. 

Our reputation within football, amongst football men, is rock bottom. Chansiri's treatment of Pulis (whether rightly or wrongly) won't have gone unnoticed, and I feel we are now forced into two options:

-English managers willing to overlook all those concerns with the club hierarchy for the chance to manage a club the size of ours, they perhaps wouldn't have a chance otherwise. Cook and Cowley are two prime examples.

-Foreign managers willing to come in without the knowledge of how the club is run in the detail like pundits/managers do within England itself.

The only things I'd question about this link...Cook wasn't even considered last time. Not contacted, not shortlisted. Despite his availability and willingness to discuss the job. What's changed? And it perhaps epitomises our disjointed, random approach to the whole process. Given it was little over a couple of months ago, I'd have thought, those who are shortlisted and discussed last time, would be high upon that list again. The exaggerated flip-flopping between manager targets does worry me somewhat, but doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see it it, too.

Surely Chansiri's recent behaviour will have put off several prospective candidates, and we may be fishing in a smaller pond as a result.

If it's true that Cook wasn't even considered a month and a half ago, then you'd have to question why he'd be considered now, but I think we all know there's nothing even close to resembling a coherent plan or joined up thinking in the upper echelons of our club.

Whoever we end up with, I just hope they're able to 'manage' Chansiri as well as they manage the players, as that side of things will be just as important, if not more so.

• Like 1

What about a manager who's done well at every club he's been at, who's got promotions on his CV, has been promoted from the Championship to the Premier League with his last club and who is admired by every pundit and manager in football?

Would you want someone like that?

TQbf7d8QwCdBDop37Whgf3-1200-80.thumb.jpg.eea16bf8a4ff90c1fd941ab4edae984e.jpg

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Thompson and Bullen are the only ones who I think will be able to work under the chairman. They know him, how he operates, they know the players and the club inside out.

I would love Cook but I don’t think he’d last under this chairman. 

Don't you think they'll have been largely sheltered from Chansiri's foibles, though?

Working as an assistant manager or first-team coach won't put you in the eye of the storm in the same way that being the manager will.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If it's true that Cook wasn't even considered a month and a half ago, then you'd have to question why he'd be considered now, but I think we all know there's nothing even close to resembling a coherent plan or joined up thinking in the upper echelons of our club.

I think they pretty much decided to give the job to Pulis last time. Not sure any other candidates were seriously considered. So you could say the same thing about anyone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Don't you think they'll have been largely sheltered from Chansiri's foibles, though?

Working as an assistant manager or first-team coach won't put you in the eye of the storm in the same way that being the manager will.

Not at all. They will know exactly what he’s like and how he operates. They were at the club before his arrival.