Unpopular opinion: We have been a lucky team over the years

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

But if goalkeeper mistakes, poor recruitment is not allowed to be seen as bad luck, opposition teams not taking chances is surely their mistakes rather than our good fortune?

Open to interpretation. Apologies for out pessimisting you. 

garymegson

Edited by Owls2k
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sturutter said:

This may not be liked, but I believe we have had far more good luck than bad luck, especially with decisions, over the years. Obviously it doesn't count on the "bad luck" side that we have had bad owners, some bad players, and not taken our opportunities. These are our major pieces of good luck in the crucial seasons:

2005- An at best debatable penalty on Mclean in the playoff final at an absolutely crucial time, to turn the whole season

2012- The timing of the Ched trial was at the worst possible time for the Blades, who collapsed to let us through at the end.

2016- We were already in the fortunate position of 6th, knowing that we would face the opponent we would want in the semis- the exhausted loser of Middlesbrough vs Brighton. This then got even luckier in the first leg when Brighton fell injured around us, ending in the incredibly rare situation of a team going down to 10 men due to having four players fall injured.  Then, in the second leg, after one of the most intense periods of pressure we've ever faced, we get away with a likely foul by Hooper to score the crucial equaliser. Yes, these pieces of luck came to nothing when we lost the final, but that was just the result of us not taking our opportunity.

Last season-  Lees handball at Reading on the first day was a shocking decision, as was the penalty we were given to win it against Bristol City to go 3rd just before Christmas.

This year- Three big, wrong decisions recently, that probably gained us 4 points. The late Swansea winner disallowed, the Reach handball, and the late penalty today.

Yes, this does beg the question "Well, where the hell would we be then if we were unlucky?" but I think it's easy as a football fan to remember the ones that go against you far more than for you, and I really think that the unbiased verdict on Wednesday is that we've had a big balance in our favour over the years.

are you a blade? 

This may not be liked, but I believe we have had far more good luck than bad luck, especially with decisions, over the years. Obviously it doesn't count on the "bad luck" side that we have had bad owners, some bad players, and not taken our opportunities. These are our major pieces of good luck in the crucial seasons:

2005- An at best debatable penalty on Mclean in the playoff final at an absolutely crucial time, to turn the whole season

2012- The timing of the Ched trial was at the worst possible time for the Blades, who collapsed to let us through at the end.

2016- We were already in the fortunate position of 6th, knowing that we would face the opponent we would want in the semis- the exhausted loser of Middlesbrough vs Brighton. This then got even luckier in the first leg when Brighton fell injured around us, ending in the incredibly rare situation of a team going down to 10 men due to having four players fall injured.  Then, in the second leg, after one of the most intense periods of pressure we've ever faced, we get away with a likely foul by Hooper to score the crucial equaliser. Yes, these pieces of luck came to nothing when we lost the final, but that was just the result of us not taking our opportunity.

Last season-  Lees handball at Reading on the first day was a shocking decision, as was the penalty we were given to win it against Bristol City to go 3rd just before Christmas.

This year- Three big, wrong decisions recently, that probably gained us 4 points. The late Swansea winner disallowed, the Reach handball, and the late penalty today.

Yes, this does beg the question "Well, where the hell would we be then if we were unlucky?" but I think it's easy as a football fan to remember the ones that go against you far more than for you, and I really think that the unbiased verdict on Wednesday is that we've had a big balance in our favour over the years.

Yeah!!!!

reface-2021-01-01-09-44-58.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

No parachute payments upon relegation in 2000. 

No reinstatement to division one after Swindon irregularities. 
89/90 relegated on goal difference. 

Then there are individual games which some have mentioned. 

Swings and roundabouts innit. 

Parachute payments weren’t in place then so that can’t be bad luck.

Second I agree with

Third one. Not really bad luck just the way it is im afraid.

38 minutes ago, sturutter said:

Given that obviously I knew from the start that I would get no support, I would like to point that the only two real established major pieces of bad luck so far both date back three decades to the 80s.

Wind up time.......yawn.

To quote/paraphrase a few famous lines:

“You make your own luck.”

”The more you practice the luckier you become.”

”Good/Bad luck balances itself out over the season.”

Dem Blavges have been among the luckiest teams going for years; without that luck they’re having an absolute ‘mare; it’s hilarious isn’t it - unless you’re a Pig!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sturutter said:

An average of one post almost every 25 days then a polemic like this. First thing I ask is does this smell a little like Pork ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beholder said:

Was lucky at the end there but Derby usually get the luck against us , so we  deserve it.

I recall Wednesday not being given two clear penalties at Derby in successive seasons. One included a defender diving  to clear a shot with his hand on the goal line. Even McClaren said the defender , Keogh possibly, had forgotten his goalkeeper's gloves. Ought to have been a red card to boot.

They also got a questionable penalty late on  last season when Odubajo  fell over clumsily giving Marriott a chance to go down.

On the pitch, I’m sure that “lucky” and “unlucky” balance out but overall I think Wednesday have been extremely unlucky.

All clubs can point to injury lists, but how many have had virtually half the first team out as long as us? Seems ever since the last few months of Carlos’s time.

Serious career ending injuries happen, but how many clubs have lost the likes of Dooley and Knight? Add to that the numerous players that, over the years, bet on matches, but onlyWednesday have lost top class players to lifetime bans.

The Hillsborough tragedy: could have happened anywhere. Been a millstone around the club for years. And along with Heysel and the ensuing ban, we missed out on Europe which could have helped established the club at higher levels for years to come.

Parachute payments introduced soon after our relegation. With parachute payments we wouldn’t have had the fire sale and, even had we not been immediately promoted, we wouldn’t have had two decades plus of financial struggle.  And when we do finally get an owner with some dosh, FFP has come in to stop him spending. How lucky is that? Would Bournemouth still be in league two if their owner had his wallet tied by the EFL rules?

I think the evidence suggests that we’ve been unlucky, especially over the last 2-3 decades.

• Like 2

One slice of bad luck that springs to mind was Paul Merson's jammy deflected goal that gave Arsenal a quick equaliser in the '93 Cup Final. It gave them an instant way back into the game, and who knows, if we'd held on in the League Cup the Fa Cup Final might have played out differently too.

On the Ched Evans thing - you could argue the Blades were lucky that he wasn't brought to justice sooner. Only had himself to blame for the whole situation.

If not mentioned 

Andy Ritchie punching the ball into the net for Leeds

Anyone there will remember v Rotherham a ball bouncing on a divot and going back the way it came for them to score

Far too many career ending serious injuries or career limiting injuries to key/top players at the time. 

Knight, Hirst, Wood, Lee, Dooley, Abdi the list continues. 

As many penalties not given for us and you make our we have been given. 

Truly shocking sending offs for FF when we needed him. 

And the unluckiest of all, bring the only club in the 60s for losing three top players to alleged gambling irregularities. 

There were others but the authorities never bothered chasing it up, made an example of.