Unpopular opinion: We have been a lucky team over the years

Until the last two games luck had gone against us this season.

Been on receiving end of some shocking decisions and injury list comparable with any team.

Things even themselves out over time.

To say we have been lucky is bullshit. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, sturutter said:

This may not be liked, but I believe we have had far more good luck than bad luck, especially with decisions, over the years. Obviously it doesn't count on the "bad luck" side that we have had bad owners, some bad players, and not taken our opportunities. These are our major pieces of good luck in the crucial seasons:

2005- An at best debatable penalty on Mclean in the playoff final at an absolutely crucial time, to turn the whole season

2012- The timing of the Ched trial was at the worst possible time for the Blades, who collapsed to let us through at the end.

2016- We were already in the fortunate position of 6th, knowing that we would face the opponent we would want in the semis- the exhausted loser of Middlesbrough vs Brighton. This then got even luckier in the first leg when Brighton fell injured around us, ending in the incredibly rare situation of a team going down to 10 men due to having four players fall injured.  Then, in the second leg, after one of the most intense periods of pressure we've ever faced, we get away with a likely foul by Hooper to score the crucial equaliser. Yes, these pieces of luck came to nothing when we lost the final, but that was just the result of us not taking our opportunity.

Last season-  Lees handball at Reading on the first day was a shocking decision, as was the penalty we were given to win it against Bristol City to go 3rd just before Christmas.

This year- Three big, wrong decisions recently, that probably gained us 4 points. The late Swansea winner disallowed, the Reach handball, and the late penalty today.

Yes, this does beg the question "Well, where the hell would we be then if we were unlucky?" but I think it's easy as a football fan to remember the ones that go against you far more than for you, and I really think that the unbiased verdict on Wednesday is that we've had a big balance in our favour over the years.

It was a penalty all day against Hartlepool. It was harsh their player got sent off though.

The blunts always use the Ched trial as to why they didn’t go up automatic.

They may have lost to MK away anyway. Chess trial would have no bearing on our performances. We were in a great run.

As for the Brighton game, we were outplaying them prior to their injuries.

we certainly ride out luck in the first half of the second leg, I’ll admit that.

As for bad luck.

93 cup final replay. A routine save for a Sunday league keeper, yet our England inter nation makes a monumental balls up.

83 Semi final Wednesday have a blatant penalty turned down.

Fa cup 5th round against Charlton when if we win we play the blunts in the QF. Charlton scored their winning goal after their player punches the ball into the net.

I am not suggesting we are an unlucky team, but I do believe it evens itself out.

Edited by sexpistol

4 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Hooper doing his hamstring after we’d won 6/6 after his return to go into the playoffs was horrendous luck as well. That side was so reliant on his role and Rhodes etc just couldn’t replace him

Remember that. 

Crazy the injuries we’ve had. I’m convinced it’s something to do with the training pitch. 

19 minutes ago, sturutter said:

For people disagreeing, tell me the pieces of bad luck that weren't of our own doing. For example, "being so close to signing Cantona" does not count when it was our own manager who decided he wasn't good enough. "Losing a playoff semi penalty shootout" does not count, when it was a failure of planning by the manager, and failure of mental strength on our part.

Strange reasoning.  

22 minutes ago, sturutter said:

For people disagreeing, tell me the pieces of bad luck that weren't of our own doing. For example, "being so close to signing Cantona" does not count when it was our own manager who decided he wasn't good enough. "Losing a playoff semi penalty shootout" does not count, when it was a failure of planning by the manager, and failure of mental strength on our part.

We had 16 players out injured under carvalhal including 10 starters

Thats bloomin bad luck more than 2 points here or there

• Like 2

Remember when we were reyt lucky and Hillsborough got flooded? 

Or when our striker scored against Palace in a must win game, then broke his toe booting an advertising hoarding? 

Or when we qualified for Europe but couldn't go? 

Or when Gérard Houllier decided to go to Liverpool instead of us? 

Or when Cantona didn't sign for us? 

Or when we almost went bust? 

I'm browning my trousers for when all this luck runs out ffs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, sturutter said:

This may not be liked, but I believe we have had far more good luck than bad luck, especially with decisions, over the years. Obviously it doesn't count on the "bad luck" side that we have had bad owners, some bad players, and not taken our opportunities. These are our major pieces of good luck in the crucial seasons:

2005- An at best debatable penalty on Mclean in the playoff final at an absolutely crucial time, to turn the whole season

2012- The timing of the Ched trial was at the worst possible time for the Blades, who collapsed to let us through at the end.

2016- We were already in the fortunate position of 6th, knowing that we would face the opponent we would want in the semis- the exhausted loser of Middlesbrough vs Brighton. This then got even luckier in the first leg when Brighton fell injured around us, ending in the incredibly rare situation of a team going down to 10 men due to having four players fall injured.  Then, in the second leg, after one of the most intense periods of pressure we've ever faced, we get away with a likely foul by Hooper to score the crucial equaliser. Yes, these pieces of luck came to nothing when we lost the final, but that was just the result of us not taking our opportunity.

Last season-  Lees handball at Reading on the first day was a shocking decision, as was the penalty we were given to win it against Bristol City to go 3rd just before Christmas.

This year- Three big, wrong decisions recently, that probably gained us 4 points. The late Swansea winner disallowed, the Reach handball, and the late penalty today.

Yes, this does beg the question "Well, where the hell would we be then if we were unlucky?" but I think it's easy as a football fan to remember the ones that go against you far more than for you, and I really think that the unbiased verdict on Wednesday is that we've had a big balance in our favour over the years.

Yeah we’ve had 6-7 bits of good luck in the last 16 years. 

I feel blessed. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sturutter said:

This year is only 1 day old mate so you are a bit wide of the mark!

Also, 3 pundits in the studio, including 1 Derby fan said it wasn't a penalty today.

Strange thread.

Just now, sexpistol said:

It was a penalty all day against Hartlepool. It was harsh their player got sent off.

The blunts always use the Ched trial as to why they didn’t go up automatic.

They may have lost to MK away anyway. Chess trial would have no bearing on our performances. We were in a great run.

As for the Brighton game, we were outplaying them prior to their injuries.

we certainly ride out luck in the first half of the second leg, I’ll admit that.

As for bad luck.

93 cup final replay. A routine save for a Sunday league keeper, yet our England inter nation makes a monumental balls up.

83 Semi final Wednesday have a blatant penalty turned down.

Fa cup 5th round against Charlton when if we win we play the blunts in the QF. Charlton scored their winning goal after their player punches the ball into the net.

I am not suggesting we are an unlucky team, but I do believe it evens itself out.

Agree with 83 semi, but in 93, a mistake by a Wednesday player (as with manager, chairman, etc) can't count as "bad luck". 

The Charlton game is I think underrated as one of the most frustrating games as a Wednesday fan. However,  I think it was far more of our own doing, than bad luck. We had even been lucky to have a situation set up where we went into the tie (which is often incorrectly remembered as a replay) with a massive motivation boost, as the waterlogged original tie left us knowing we had United in the quarter final draw. Stuart Gray made a monumental over-careful mistake of not prioritising what was a very exciting situation in the cup, and instead focused on a "relegation battle" that we weren't in. If he had gone full pelt for the cup tie, we probably would have won. He played the second keeper (albeit bizarrely it is the Martinez that is now so good for Villa), who made a really bad mistake at his near post for the Charlton winner. When we got to 1-1, he went to 3 up front, to try to avoid a replay, which cost us. So, the chain of events I think should be blamed far more on the Wednesday personnel, and not at all on bad luck.

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

Like the penalty at theirs last season. Never one in a month of Wednesday’s.

Or a couple of seasons ago when Keogh made a fantastic diving save on the goal line and nothing was given.