Unpopular opinion: We have been a lucky team over the years

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

The stars certainly aligned for us in the wembley season that's for sure. How we survived that Brighton onslaught I'll never know.

Westwood Lees and Loovens were immense though that day too. Not all luck. 

baring in mind lees and loovens were on a yellow after 20 too! 

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

The stars certainly aligned for us in the wembley season that's for sure. How we survived that Brighton onslaught I'll never know.

It was only part down to luck. Our keeper was the best in the division at the time and did his job superbly. Brighton were lucky not to concede more in the first leg, the Forestieri offside goal certainly wasn't an offside that they played for. 

In the second half of the second leg Kayal should have had about 4 yellow cards.

3 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Is it luck or was it the fact we invested well and played decent and still only managed 74 points? Then beat a Brighton team who were deflated from missing autos. I don't think there was much luck involved personally.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Or a couple of seasons ago when Keogh made a fantastic diving save on the goal line and nothing was given. 

That was ridiculous. Or the ref agreeing that Fletcher was shoved in their box but he didn't give a pen because Fletcher didn't go down. 

Or Loovens being sent off very early in the same game.

Or Winnall's winning goal being disallowed for no reason. 

Or a pen being given against Odubajo when he was the one fouled.

In fact Derby have had plenty of lucky decisions go their way and against us in recent years, so.... fúck 'em! 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Remember when we were reyt lucky and Hillsborough got flooded? 

Or when our striker scored against Palace in a must win game, then broke his toe booting an advertising hoarding? 

Or when we qualified for Europe but couldn't go? 

Or when Gérard Houllier decided to go to Liverpool instead of us? 

Or when Cantona didn't sign for us? 

Or when we almost went bust? 

I'm browning my trousers for when all this luck runs out ffs. 

Qualfying for Europe and not being able to go is indeed bad luck.

But none of the others are, they were all of our own doing. There are obvious reasons why Houiller chose Liverpool over us. Francis didn't rate Cantona after seeing him. Almost going bust was entirely of Wednesday's personell making. 

2 minutes ago, alanharper said:

That was ridiculous. Or the ref agreeing that Fletcher was shoved in their box but he didn't give a pen because Fletcher didn't go down. 

Or Loovens being sent off very early in the same game.

Or Winnall's winning goal being disallowed for no reason. 

Or a pen being given against Odubajo when he was the one fouled.

In fact Derby have had plenty of lucky decisions go their way and against us in recent years, so.... fúck 'em! 

Yeah but like the OP says, if you ignore the many incidents when we have been unlucky you can only come to the conclusion that we are extremely fortunate.

"LUCKY WEDNESDAY"

As we have come to be known as throughout the 21st century! 

Guest Willow Owl
41 minutes ago, sturutter said:

For people disagreeing, tell me the pieces of bad luck that weren't of our own doing. For example, "being so close to signing Cantona" does not count when it was our own manager who decided he wasn't good enough. "Losing a playoff semi penalty shootout" does not count, when it was a failure of planning by the manager, and failure of mental strength on our part.

Finishing 5th in 1985, qualifying for Europe. Only for the scousers to get clubs banned from European competition. Who knows where we could have gone and the players we could have signed. 

4 minutes ago, sturutter said:

Qualfying for Europe and not being able to go is indeed bad luck.

But none of the others are, they were all of our own doing. There are obvious reasons why Houiller chose Liverpool over us. Francis didn't rate Cantona after seeing him. Almost going bust was entirely of Wednesday's personell making. 

Yes I can 100% see how those things not happening makes us a lucky side. 

We would have played in Europe in 86-87 and 91-2 (as lge cup winners) but for the Heysel ban.  That's bad luck. 

We would have gone into top division instead of Norwich in 81-2 had the 2 points for a win held for that one extra season.

We should have played in the Charity shield v Spurs in 61-2 as league runners up. 

I reckon we've had loads of bad luck over the years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It was only part down to luck. Our keeper was the best in the division at the time and did his job superbly. Brighton were lucky not to concede more in the first leg, the Forestieri offside goal certainly wasn't an offside that they played for. 

In the second half of the second leg Kayal should have had about 4 yellow cards.

Never said it wasn't only part down to luck. We were brilliant in that first leg but the injuries did help and they did hit the post. 

People often forget about that offside goal, we did well to shake off the disappointment of that. 

As for the second leg, I've honestly never seen anything like it, easily the worst part of a game I've watched watching us. Thankfully after the goal we woke up. And at 1-1 we nearly scored an unbelievable counter attacking goal. If only Hooper had've buried the header. 

12 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Is it luck or was it the fact we invested well and played decent and still only managed 74 points? Then beat a Brighton team who were deflated from missing autos. I don't think there was much luck involved personally.

Bit of both. 

Just now, Owls2k said:

Never said it wasn't only part down to luck. We were brilliant in that first leg but the injuries did help and they did hit the post. 

People often forget about that offside goal, we did well to shake off the disappointment of that. 

As for the second leg, I've honestly never seen anything like it, easily the worst part of a game I've watched watching us. Thankfully after the goal we woke up. And at 1-1 we nearly scored an unbelievable counter attacking goal. If only Hooper had've buried the header. 

But if goalkeeper mistakes, poor recruitment is not allowed to be seen as bad luck, opposition teams not taking chances is surely their mistakes rather than our good fortune?