Tony Pulis post match comments

12 minutes ago, striker said:

We brought in a fair few new players at the beginning of the season to be fair, so not necessarily a constant for all managers. 

That said, his predecessor managed to get more out of this group this season than Pulis, under more difficult circumstances considering injuries and the initial points deduction prior to appeal. 

Does that say more about the players or manager?

Listen, I was a Monk supporter because I believe in long term thinking in a football club. I don't have anything against either Monk or Pulis but to say Monk was getting something out of this squad is a stretch.

Time to get them out.

Starting to understand why Chansiri is slow timing on the wages, they don't deserve any.

• Like 1

This whole "it's not pulis' fault he has a sack of plop to manage", is doing my head in

We recognise it, of course we do we are fans we've seen it for years. Pulis is paid, and paid handsomely, to coach the team to deliver results.

He has not delivered close to what should have been par for 6 games.

I'm willing to give him time, as I was Monk who I was hastily released however saying "it's because of the players I have" makes a farce of what we're likely to be paying him I'm afraid. Thats his job

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Monk got the boot before we had a horrid run of fixtures against Swansea Reading Hudders Norwich and Stoke. 

shortly after losing to Luton Wycombe and Rotherham.

a result against Bournemouth aside, I didn’t see enough to tell me we’d have fared better against those teams we’ve just played.

End of the day Pulis is doing worse than Monk

It doesn't matter what excuses people come up with about harder teams, or the way the wind is blowing or the balls being too round

This is a results driven business

Pulis is a brand new manager not only doing worse than than the bloke who got sacked before him, but he's now (after just 6 games) saying he needs a new squad therefore admitting that he's just not able to even do what Monk was doing with the exact same players?

Owlstalk Shop

13 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yes, we could have. Wouldn't have effected the game in anyway. But would have given the starters a breather for Barnsley.

But I am wondering If it was that...

It was such a drop off from the weekend though wasn't it. A Cliff drop.

I have to wonder if something has gone on.  

Or gone off. 

• Like 1

We have too many weak players. Too many players made of glass. 

Im done with blaming managers. This sits with those players not learning from their basic mistakes, and those players not willing to put a shift in. It’s also with Chansiri for overseeing another transfer window where we’ve allowed injury prone rubbish to limp into the club. 

Fair enough you can argue Pulis’ tactics are poo, or he should have made a change earlier. But how do you account for  senior players like Tom Lees making daft passes in dangerous positions. Or Iorfa giving up and allowing them to score a soft goal. 

Most of our players aren’t good enough. 

Edited by bigdan2003
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not sure why anyone expected Eustace to be a safe pair of hands based on zero management experience.  

I did. Solid, dependable player for many years for us and West Ham and good coaching experience under a manager who knew his stuff. Clearly I was wrong.

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

No doubt Monks recruitment was awful. But Pulis needs to stop blaming the players when he is showing no attacking intent.

Exactly

If we were setting up to try and win games to get us out of the relegation zone but failing because the players weren't quite good enough that's totally fair enough

But to say you need a new squad six games in after setting the team up like he did tonight is nothing short of taking the absolute P*SS

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, bigdan2003 said:

We have too many weak players. Too many players made of glass. 

Im done with blaming managers. This sits with those players not learning from their basic mistakes, and those players not willing to put a shift in. It’s also with Chansiri for overseeing another transfer window where we’ve allowed injury prone rubbish to limp into the club. 

Fair enough you can argue Pulis’ tactics are poo, or he should have made a change earlier. But how do you account for  senior players like Tom Lees making daft passes in dangerous positions. Or Iorfa giving up and allowing them to score a soft goal. 

Our players aren’t good enough. 

Agreed

But Monk was doing better with the exact same players than Pulis is

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If they are not fit enough to play as subs after 4 weeks of his management then it is his responsibility. He keeps starting someone who clearly isn't fit in Luongo and he was way off it today.

He brought on Pelupessy at 2-0 down at half-time. How is using an attacking midfielder in Brown going to be any worse, Joey was never going to impact a positive attacking change. 

Would trying Kachunga or Rhodes have been any worse than the immobile Paterson for another 45 minutes?

Brown has been terrible and has never looked fit. 

I don't think those options are any better than what was already in place. Luongo was risked and it didn't work out. This is the situation gm has left us with that management needs to risk luongo as he better than other options even when not fit. 

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Honestly mate if Pulis was drawing games or doing as well as Monk was doing and said 'Yeah it's tough. We are doing our best and then will strengthen in the transfer window and kick on' nobody on the planet could ever criticise that. It'd be fine

But to come out with this after that performance is a right massive copout  to me

I appreciate not everyone will agree and will be fine with a brand new manager saying that after coming in and making things desperately bad and much worse since arriving, but I just can't accept a brand new manager saying that after the last 6 results and performances

Can't argue with that. Tonight was a key game for us and we simply gifted it to them by not turning up for half an hour then the manager decided not to turn to his bench to change things but contradicted this after by saying the players are tired. 

The same starting players will now also presumably be tired when we need them again on Saturday, he could have given them a rest and tried something different instead of wearing his first choice players out for another 45 minutes for no gain. 

3 minutes ago, Chris Apolon said:

This whole "it's not pulis' fault he has a sack of plop to manage", is doing my head in

We recognise it, of course we do we are fans we've seen it for years. Pulis is paid, and paid handsomely, to coach the team to deliver results.

He has not delivered close to what should have been par for 6 games.

I'm willing to give him time, as I was Monk who I was hastily released however saying "it's because of the players I have" makes a farce of what we're likely to be paying him I'm afraid. Thats his job

100%

I wonder if any of these folks saying that Pulis can't be criiticised because he can't do the job (that he gets paid mililions of pounds to do) of man-managing these players are the same ones saying that Jordan Rhodes refusing to take a penalty was criminal because that's the job he gets paid millions to do?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Brown has been terrible and has never looked fit. 

I don't think those options are any better than what was already in place. Luongo was risked and it didn't work out. This is the situation gm has left us with that management needs to risk luongo as he better than other options even when not fit. 

But again - explain to me why we were doing better under Monk than we are with this new manager, and both Luongo and Brown were looking great under Monk too?

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It was turning out ok for Monk who had a way better defensive, offensive and points record than Pulis is delivering

Pulis has come in and done WORSE

Think about that for a second

That’s a little more than TP has had at this club. A second. 

I’ve some sympathy for the players the way we’re being set up under Pulis. If he picked a front 3 played higher up the field and had them pressing we could see what they’ve got then.

There’s been a big drop in quality since we’ve lost the likes of Forestieri, Hooper, Fletcher, Joao and Lee but the current players have had to play under Monk and Pulis... two of the most negative managers in English football 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Had he put Pelupessy upfront like he did with Brown last time you would have a point.

My post was not a dig at Joey for not having many assists, its not his primary job.

We are 2-0 down and at half-time the managers chosen change is to swap a defensive midfielder for a defensive midfielder.

The point is what difference is that likely to make in terms of getting back into the game?