Tony Pulis post match comments

I’ve always said I’ll give a new manager 10 games. This is an incredibly hard job. Although tonight’s performance eroded what I thought were promising displays in the past few games. We went back to how we were under Monk tonight in terms of lack of idea or plan. 

Just feel low about it all really. The problem is greater than Pulis. Something rotten about the club under DC’s ownership, we’ve all spent ages trying to figure out what it exactly is. I don’t think anything changes until we have new ownership. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I agree. Tp says that they are tired but doesn't change the players. I can only think that he is saying that the starting 11 even though tired are better than the others. It is the only answer I can think of 

Which is totally fine - no argument with that IF you get results

If you don't you start to look really silly

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Therealrealist said:

I’d rather have hutch than luongo...i just don’t know what luongo brings to the party..how long as he been here? I just don’t know what he does

Luongo is not the worst we have but he's a bigger crock than Hutchinson.

The crazy thing was we got rid of Hutch and gave Pelupessy a new contract.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Just 4 weeks into a brand new job at a brand new club to then hold your hands up and say you need a new squad in the transfer window?

Don't most people try their absolute hardest and do their absolute best in the first month of your new job?

Experienced managers can see what resources they need fairly quickly

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

I’ve always said I’ll give a new manager 10 games. This is an incredibly hard job. Although tonight’s performance eroded what I thought were promising displays in the past few games. We went back to how we were under Monk tonight in terms of lack of idea or plan. 

Just feel low about it all really. The problem is greater than Pulis. Something rotten about the club under DC’s ownership, we’ve all spent ages trying to figure out what it exactly is. I don’t think anything changes until we have new ownership. 

In the last few years we've changed all the CEO's, all the managers, all the coaches, all the players, and even all the medical staff

Everyone below chairman level has been booted out or changed 

Think about THAT one for a second

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

True

But sometimes it's better to come armed with the myth than the reality

lol

Unfortunately the reality is:

• We sacked a manager who took us from 3rd place halfway through last season to less than a point per game for the next 32 games.
  • Said manager was involved in breaking up the old team and failed to retain or bring in a proper striker
  • the manager got his own coaching staff in the summer and implemented a way of playing across all teams within the club
  • said approach resulted in us losing the majority of games at all levels
  • coaches signed in the summer were sacked within a couple of months
  • we brought in a new manager who is likely to be expensive at this level due to his experience and our position
  • the new manager is somehow getting even less in terms of results than the previous manager was capable of.

Enjoy your football!

I can’t see past a front 2 of Paterson and Rhodes 

lol

Seriously, get Reach to knock balls into the box from anywhere on the pitch. Hope that Paterson will get a head onto it and then really hope it lands on Rhodes’ foot. Must be on his toe though because a foot away and he ain’t getting it. 
Our only hope. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

10 games.

That's good of you... FFS:tango:

1 minute ago, markg said:

Experienced managers can see what resources they need fairly quickly

We were told Pulis was experienced enough to know the league, and be aware of the players he has, the situation he was coming into etc

4 weeks in after 6 dire results he then says 'Ahhh boss I need a new squad to do this job' 

After doing worse with the same exact players than the manager that got sacked before him?

We were also told he was a good solid defensive organised manager - but - we're now leaking goals with the players that were solid under Monk and one of the best defences in the division

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, striker said:

I bought into the long term project too, but once again DC acts to show thats been shelved in return for short term chaos. 

Ultimately Chansiri had the final word on every player and was the one who appointed Pulis. 

I'm definitely not a Pulis fan, was ambivalent about Monk but the facts are that we had a better points per game ratio and one win from safety. 

That said it was right to replace Monk, but in ignoring a proper diligent recruitment process to appoint someone with the wrong attributes, unable to work with the players Chansiri had just brought in/retained was a spectacularly arrogant and stupid decision. 

Much though I don't like Pulis, the responsibility lies with DC.

I agree 100% with your analysis. I also argued, at the time of Monks sacking, that it would all be for nought because the real (poorly qualified) decision maker would be choosing the next manager. Groundhog Day...

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Luongo is not the worst we have but he's a bigger crock than Hutchinson.

The crazy thing was we got rid of Hutch and gave Pelupessy a new contract.

Because joey was brought to the club by certain people/agency’s who are still involved in all the decision making...he’s one of there’s...so it’s an easy d3cision to give him a new contract

Just now, Therealrealist said:

Because joey was brought to the club by certain people/agency’s who are still involved in all the decision making...he’s one of there’s...so it’s an easy d3cision to give him a new contract

Pelupessy was brought in to replace Semedo

At the time there were people at the club very opposed to the move but were overrruled

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

I’d rather have hutch than luongo...i just don’t know what luongo brings to the party..how long as he been here? I just don’t know what he does

I think Luongo is a decent player. We had a good record with him starting last season and missed him a lot when he was sent off against Blackburn then got a seemingly small injury in training that he never recovered from last season.

This season he has again looked decent in spells but the manager has already said he is not fully fit and looked miles off it tonight. How has he gone from being rarely injured in his career to being rarely fit for us.

4 minutes ago, BIG D said:

lol

Seriously, get Reach to knock balls into the box from anywhere on the pitch. Hope that Paterson will get a head onto it and then really hope it lands on Rhodes’ foot. Must be on his toe though because a foot away and he ain’t getting it. 
Our only hope. 

Honestlty right now I'd take it

I'd take hoofball up to a front two

out of pure desperation for even a CHANCE of staying up

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, BIG D said:

lol

Our only hope. 

That’s a better tactical plan than TP adopted tonight!

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I'm not..nor were comparing him to Monk.

So who's missing the point?

Still you.

You replied to my comment in which I was comparing to Monk. I’m saying the last manager got a little bit more out of them that what pulis has managed.

You're saying he’s found a group he can’t do anything with and I think Pulis should be able to match what Monk got out of them at the very least.