Tony Pulis post match comments

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

End of the day Pulis is doing worse than Monk

It doesn't matter what excuses people come up with about harder teams, or the way the wind is blowing or the balls being too round

This is a results driven business

Pulis is a brand new manager not only doing worse than than the bloke who got sacked before him, but he's now (after just 6 games) saying he needs a new squad therefore admitting that he's just not able to even do what Monk was doing with the exact same players?

I seem to remember Carvalhal getting absolutely crucified for the apparent ‘state he left us in’ 

Why is it Monks now getting a free pass on that subject? After this recruitment sheetshow which has landed us in this situation and got him the sack?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's be honest

We were assured that the performances might be dire but at least we'd win and go up the league

The thought of watcing Pulis teams made me sick in my own mouth but I could at least respect that we needed wins over performances

Six games in and the managers saying he can't achieve even what Monk was achieving - not just with the same squad at his disposal but with more players in that squad fit and available than when Monk was here - and needs a new squad in January buying for him

So you are DC what do you do now?

24 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

It wasn't turning out ok for Monk who should have been sacked after Brentford away last season and we shouldn't have gone for Pulis.

Think about that for a second.

Looking at Pulis' results so far, it's a good job we didn't. I thought about it for the last few weeks watching how he sets us up to play, watching how he has taken our best centre back and most saleable asset and shoe horned him into a terrible defensive midfielder. I've listened to him state that Paterson is not a striker but a midfielder then play him up front. I've watched him bring on defensive reinforcements when we are losing and chasing the game. To be honest, the only thing I'm now wondering is, is Pulis a closet blade.

Edited by Andrew6666
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

We needed an hutch out there tonight...we havnt a presence in midfield

It's not just midfield.

The whole squad have no identity or character.

They're soft and self satisfied.

Fist bumping when they do something right and excusing each other by doing that stupid clapping when a move doesn't come off.

It's more than the midfield.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

I just had a thought. 

Did we see a Paterson long throw today? Don't think we did.

I reported on it in the matchday thread

We got a throw in on the left hand side

The team stopped for a while as Paterson ran all the way across the pitch - right from the opposite side of the pitch - to run all the way to take the long throw

He picked up the ball

The team got ready in the box

They stood, waiting with baited breath as Paterson started his walk up to the touchline to make the throw

"here we go!!" they thought "out big chance!!"

And after all this time, all this waiting and all the running from the opposite side of the pitch to take the throw....

Peterson just dropped it down to the player five foot away in the shortest throw Sheffield Wednesday have ever made

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

But again - explain to me why we were doing better under Monk than we are with this new manager, and both Luongo and Brown were looking great under Monk too?

Can’t believe these are the same players who passed the ball and dominated the game against Cardiff in that first game. 

Guest Therealrealist
1 minute ago, Costello 77 said:

It's not just midfield.

The whole squad have no identity or character.

They're soft and self satisfied.

Fist bumping when they do something right and excusing each other by doing that stupid clapping when a move doesn't come off.

It's more than the midfield.

And they wer all laughin and gigglin with 5he udders players after...they make me want to puke tbh

1 minute ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

I seem to remember Carvalhal getting absolutely crucified for the apparent ‘state he left us in’ 

Why is it Monks now getting a free pass on that subject?

NO NO NO NO NO NO

He isn't

He isn't at all

Nobody has said that, suggested that or hinted at that

What I'm saying is that Pulis is doing worse with the same exact players as the manager did before him who got sacked (whether that's Monk or any other manager it's completely irrelevant) 

And then after just six games and those results says he needs a new squad

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

My post was not a dig at Joey for not having many assists, its not his primary job.

We are 2-0 down and at half-time the managers chosen change is to swap a defensive midfielder for a defensive midfielder.

The point is what difference is that likely to make in terms of getting back into the game?

Would agree with that. But I think he wanted to replace Luongo and get someone infront of the back four/five/six ( take ya pick with Tony) to stop us being so open.

He should have pushed Paterson further up the pitch attacking wise. He did not. 

He has no incline whatsoever to attack in open play. Even at 2-0 down. And Bottom of the table.

8 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Brown has been terrible and has never looked fit. 

I don't think those options are any better than what was already in place. Luongo was risked and it didn't work out. This is the situation gm has left us with that management needs to risk luongo as he better than other options even when not fit. 

Brown hasn't been great but has he been any worse than anyone else? What is the point of the token gesture of sending him on for 5 minutes?

If the first 11 are what he is relying on why not rest 2 or 3 of them at half time and give something different a try? We haven't scored 2 goals in a league game since game 1 of the season, we were hardly likely to score 2 in the second 45 minutes tonight with the same approach.

Now he has flogged the first 11 that he says are tired and he is so reliant on them, so the same tiredness reasoning can be used again when things inevitably don't go to plan on Saturday. 

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The team stopped for a while as Paterson ran all the way across the pitch - right from the opposite side of the pitch - to run all the way to take the long throw

He picked up the ball

They stood, waiting with baited breath as Paterson started his walk up to the touchline to make the throw

And after all this time, all this waiting and all the running from the opposite side of the pitch to take the throw....

Peterson just dropped it down to the player five foot away in the shortest throw Sheffield Wednesday have ever made

And when Bannan jogged over from the right wing to the left wing to take a corner after messing about with Harris.

It took about 90 seconds to take the corner even though we were 2-0 down.

Have you ever seen a team show less intensity to get back into a game once they go behind?

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I didn’t want Monk but felt, given he had started to revamp the squad and has just brought his coaching team in, we could have given him longer. I understand why we sacked him though.

I wanted Pulis even less. I’m not totally convinced that many people said about us being nailed on mid-table was true. Above all though I dreaded the thought of defensive, lumping it football. A couple of reasonable goals in six games haven’t removed those worries.

BUT

Sadly I think we have to give him more time and see what happens after the next transfer window. 6 games isn’t a lot in the greater scheme of things. It’s supporting him because I’m resigned to it not because I’m a fan because I’m anything but. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

He picked up the ball

Perhaps Pulis told him to stop. We are useless at them. 

Just stuck me as strange as they were about 10 a match previously.

I just can’t understand how people can still make excuses for pulis. I get the squad has limitations, but pulis’ 30 year career has basically been built on getting the best out of what he has and being difficult to beat.

If he’s as good as some of you lot think, why can he not even match monk’s points per game average?

• Like 1