Jordan Rhodes

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

The desperate lengths people will go to, to defend Jordan Rhodes. Several otherwise sensible posters trying to lump his Norwich stats in with his Wednesday career to pad out his goals per game ratio at Wednesday. Pretty desperate stuff.

At Norwich

At Norwich, he started the first 6 games of the season, he scored a couple of goals, but the team only got 5 points in 6 games. After that, they dropped Rhodes (he started only 3 more games in the league in the whole season) and Norwich won 88 points from 40 games from these 40 games. Their biggest wins that season:

4-0 at Hillsboro (Rhodes ineligible)

4-0 at Bolton (unused sub)

4-0 vs QPR (Rhodes brought on in 89th minute)

4-1 at Swansea (Rhodes brought on in 89th minute)

3-0 vs Ipswich (Rhodes brought on in 88th minute)

In fact, they didn't pick him to start for a single game in the league after October and of the 21 sub appearances he made after October, five were for 1 minute, four were for 2 minutes and 3 were for 3 minutes. Pretty clear he wasn't rated, and Norwich were a much worse team when he played.

At Wednesday

People keep saying he scored a goal in x game and then 2 matches later he was dropped, as if the player that can't hold the ball up, runs like he has treacle in his boots and, since January 2018, has scored in 3 games (out of 33) and contributed no assists in that time would have been a world beater if only he had been given a chance.

I would love nothing more than a Lazarus-like resurrection for Rhodes, but if there is a fully functioning footballer within there, he's kept it well hidden so far. I'd rather see Marriott given more games, at least he can run.

I think some posters are going to desperate lengths to suggest that Rhodes shouldn’t play. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Is he that bad at it. Forestieri would shot from 30 yards all the time. Dont recall Windass trying that many shots on goal. Maybe you are right about the not passing when it's the better option bit.

It’s something I’ve noticed about Windass over his 20 or so games for us. 

I never look at stats beyond points, wins and goals, but I would imagine his shots per goal ratio is very high. 

At least he gets himself chances, but he does need to make better decisions than to date. 

• Like 1

The article states he's only featured in eight games this season.  Unless they are including League cup, he's only missed 3 games then.

For what it's worth, I reckon if we changed to an attacking system, he'd get 15 to 20 goals a season playing every game.  

Fetching a forward on for the last 20 minutes of a game is a waste of time unless he's got the speed to cause havoc among tired defenders.  Rhodes lacks that speed.  If he plays, he should start.  

12 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

The article states he's only featured in eight games this season.  Unless they are including League cup, he's only missed 3 games then.

For what it's worth, I reckon if we changed to an attacking system, he'd get 15 to 20 goals a season playing every game.  

Fetching a forward on for the last 20 minutes of a game is a waste of time unless he's got the speed to cause havoc among tired defenders.  Rhodes lacks that speed.  If he plays, he should start.  

Yeah, they were including the cup, but he's not actually missed any games this season because he's been named in the 18 every time.

Long thought the same about Rhodes' lack of impact from off the bench though. He's made a lot of sub appearances now, and I can only think of maybe two or three games in his almost-40 sub appearances where he's affected the game positively. He starts or doesn't play for me also.

Rhodes is ineffective everywhere on the pitch apart from in the box, he has suffered in that we haven't played to his strengths. I'm not advocating we should have.

If Pulis sets up in a way that we get the ball wide, cross at every opportunity, plenty of players in the box, then his movement could see him return to some form of goal scoring form.

31 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I doubt any manager would base our whole system around 1 player who has been off form for a few seasons.
Would be a massive gamble and if it didn't work out we would probably be relegated and the manager sacked.

Rhodes is not hard working enough for a Pulis type player although may use him in the short term as we lack options up front.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I doubt any manager would base our whole system around 1 player who has been off form for a few seasons.
Would be a massive gamble and if it didn't work out we would probably be relegated and the manager sacked.

Rhodes is not hard working enough for a Pulis type player although may use him in the short term as we lack options up front.

Or Pulis might think the previous managers got it wrong

I really think it’s not ‘blind hope’ in Rhodes that prompts people calling for him to start.

More that none of our strikers have been scoring & Rhodes has had the least opportunity. Paterson’s only been here a month or so, but had double the minutes of Rhodes and yet still only the one goal.

Tomorrow it’ll be Windass and Rhodes up top I’m sure. Whether that’s a forced hand due to injury or Tony’s preferred two, we’ll soon see.

But Rhodes, in this current crop of strikers, deserves a shot. Pulis is a great man manager, if he can’t drag it out of Rhodes then yes he’s maybe finished at this level. But let’s just give it a chance. It’s near impossible for us to score any less goals so we’ve nowt to lose. 

• Like 2

Guest Kameron

You play to the strengths of players like Jordan Rhodes not ask them to  become something they will never be, if you want a goal scorer that does nothing else then don't sign him.  Unfortunately  & wrongly the modern game demands more from strikers, they are now used as the first line of defence but not by putting defenders on the back foot.  If we returned to basics and put the ball into the opposition box in the right way he would score goals, you don't have that kind of quality and not know where the box is.  Of course he has aged and is not the player he was 5 years ago but launching ball 50 miles into he sky and expecting him to deliver the goods is simply b()llocks.

24 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

I really think it’s not ‘blind hope’ in Rhodes that prompts people calling for him to start.

More that none of our strikers have been scoring & Rhodes has had the least opportunity. Paterson’s only been here a month or so, but had double the minutes of Rhodes and yet still only the one goal.

Tomorrow it’ll be Windass and Rhodes up top I’m sure. Whether that’s a forced hand due to injury or Tony’s preferred two, we’ll soon see.

But Rhodes, in this current crop of strikers, deserves a shot. Pulis is a great man manager, if he can’t drag it out of Rhodes then yes he’s maybe finished at this level. But let’s just give it a chance. It’s near impossible for us to score any less goals so we’ve nowt to lose. 

Agreed.

Its hard to take in such a staggeringly bad record.

Rhodes&Windass: 2 goals in 2 games 

Others pairs: 1 goal in 9 games

Bring it on. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately Rhodes all round game is simply not good enough for the championship. When he plays it's like having 10 men on the pitch.

He would have to score a hell of a lot of goals to compensate for the fact he contributes nothing else to the team. Once upon a time he was capable of doing that but those days have long since passed.

I suspect Pulis will give him a chance given his lack of alternative options. But I also suspect he'll be back on the bench in short order when he realises he's simply not up to championship football anymore.

• Like 2

Guest Hornsby

A new contract is a cheek. He's really gonna have to get goals galore for that.

But Pulis style may well now suit him. 

But we need a top and tall target man.

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Unfortunately Rhodes all round game is simply not good enough for the championship. When he plays it's like having 10 men on the pitch.

He would have to score a hell of a lot of goals to compensate for the fact he contributes nothing else to the team. Once upon a time he was capable of doing that but those days have long since passed.

I suspect Pulis will give him a chance given his lack of alternative options. But I also suspect he'll be back on the bench in short order when he realises he's simply not up to championship football anymore.

Well at least you're clearly right behind Jordan and giving him a fair crack under a new manager

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

In the last 9 games without him:-

P9. W2. D2. L5

Strikers have scored 1 goal

Team has scored 4 goals 

And you think playing with him is like playing with ten men? 

• Like 1