Jordan Rhodes

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The fact of the matter is he keeps getting left out because he isn't good enough isn't it. 

I'm not sure Monk left players out for that reason. There's decent evidence that he left them out for everything but that reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

I can’t remember a time he has had a run of matches, give him the chance. No one could argue that he is our best finisher and yet barely features.

Think there may be a few people in this thread would disagree with you there lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Why has no manager and we are talking 4 different ones here, given him a run of matches when he is suppose to be a 20 goal a season striker if he gets a run of games. 

Doesn't that strike everyone as a bit odd.

No, it's been explained several times in this thread, you're just not absorbing the information apparently.

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

No, it's been explained several times in this thread, you're just not absorbing the information apparently.

All that's been explained is that he hasn't been good enough where he has been at to dislodge whoever is in front of him to get a run of games. 

When Rhodes first signed he had a decent run—12 games. 3 goals in return wasn't that great, and this was when we also had Hooper, Fletcher, João, Nuhiu, and Winnall to choose from.

Since then though he's only ever had a run of four consecutive games at most.

For the most part, I've never really had a massive problem with that because we've usually had other forwards that could come in and play more effectively in whatever style we were playing.

This just isn't obviously the case any more though, and now with Pulis, it might just be the case that not only is Rhodes ‘no worse than the others’, but might actually better than the others too if Pulis does play in a style he's often employed in the past.

But irrespective of all those, I hope, and even expect, that Pulis will be pragmatic about getting results initially. And pragmatic in this case merely means getting the best out of the players at his disposal. There's no point trying to pepper the box with crosses if there's no-one to finish them, and there's no point setting ourselves up to play that way at all if we can't even put decent deliveries into the box in the first place. The likes of Harris, Palmer, Penney, Odubajo, and Reach have to step up to the plate too if we're going down this route.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

All that's been explained is that he hasn't been good enough where he has been at to dislodge whoever is in front of him to get a run of games. 

This is possibly teh dumbest thing i've read all week, so i'll not bother trying to get you to understand simple things any more.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

This is possibly teh dumbest thing i've read all week, so i'll not bother trying to get you to understand simple things any more.

What are the simple things the stats. 

Thats not what I am saying though is it I am saying why does he constantly keep getting dropped if he is that good.

Never had a run of games more than 4 since Carlos at the start. Why is this? what are the managers seeing in him that he can't play more games than this. 

I don't dislike Rhodes I am just wondering why all our past mangers seem to that is all. And am asking the question will Pulis in a few games see the same things.

Guest wilyfox
27 minutes ago, quinnssweetshop said:

And that's converted into three points how ?

Jesus Christ! Get back down the sweet shop. May have some penny sweets for ya.

4 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Still don’t believe we’ve ever given Rhodes a fair run of games. 

People will jump on this, but he’s been in and out the side constantly, given 15 minutes here and there. Hopefully Pulis will put some faith in him. And if it doesn’t work? Have we really got a better alternative? 

I agree. He's the championships best ever striker over a period of time. You don't suddenly lose that ability overnight. 

He needs a proper run and some confidence in him from the manager

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The fact of the matter is he keeps getting left out because he isn't good enough isn't it.  

Dress it up anyway you want with any stats you want.

Managers don't like starting Jordan Rhodes for prolonged periods of games.

Why is everyone so sure this won't happen under Pulis aswell.

It might after Christmas.

But in the meantime he only has to be better than the very poor group of strikers we currently employ. 

Which strikers would you prefer in the 12 matches before the window opens? 

Edited by Holmowl

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

It might after Christmas.

But in the meantime he only has to be better than the very poor of strikers we currently employ. 

Which strikers would you prefer in the 12 matches before the window opens? 

Doesn't matter what I think. I am more concerned about what Pulis will think after about 4 games. And am wondering why. Because as you say on paper he is by far our best. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Doesn't matter what I think. I am more concerned about what Pulis will think after about 4 games. And am wondering why. Because as you say on paper he is by far our best. 

And on grass. 

Now Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri, Joao and Nuhiu have gone, Rhodes is the best  we’ve got left.

I remember when he scored the hat trick against forest and Monk said this:

Monk said everyone at Wednesday "knew he had quality" and praised Rhodes for setting up the Yorkshire club's ninth win from 10 games against Forest.

"In the last couple of seasons and into this season, it has been tough for him," said Monk.

"But I spoke to him when I came in and I just asked him for hard work. I understand what he is, but he has had to be patient.

"I told him he would get his opportunity and, when that opportunity came, that his hard work would pay off.

"He just needed to keep his confidence and belief. I know it has been tough for him, he has had to work his way back in. But he trained to a high level and he has shown his personality.

"This was an accumulation of everything for him. A fantastic performance and three great goals for him."

In the next game he played in a draw and then was booted out the side because he didn't score. He hardly got a sniff since. 

What happened? Did his attitude or work rate suddenly change? Is was monk lying? 

Surely he deserved more of a chance to build some momentum than what monk gave him given the comments he made