Jordan Rhodes

5 minutes ago, poite said:

I remember when he scored the hat trick against forest and Monk said this:

Monk said everyone at Wednesday "knew he had quality" and praised Rhodes for setting up the Yorkshire club's ninth win from 10 games against Forest.

"In the last couple of seasons and into this season, it has been tough for him," said Monk.

"But I spoke to him when I came in and I just asked him for hard work. I understand what he is, but he has had to be patient.

"I told him he would get his opportunity and, when that opportunity came, that his hard work would pay off.

"He just needed to keep his confidence and belief. I know it has been tough for him, he has had to work his way back in. But he trained to a high level and he has shown his personality.

"This was an accumulation of everything for him. A fantastic performance and three great goals for him."

In the next game he played in a draw and then was booted out the side because he didn't score. He hardly got a sniff since. 

What happened? Did his attitude or work rate suddenly change? Is was monk lying? 

Surely he deserved more of a chance to build some momentum than what monk gave him given the comments he made

And thats the million dollar question I have been asking for the last 2 hours or so.  Why has every manger basically done this to him.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Thats what all my above points have been about. 

Why has no manager and we are talking 4 different ones here, given him a run of matches when he is suppose to be a 20 goal a season striker if he gets a run of games. 

Doesn't that strike everyone as a bit odd.

It does but looking at our options, how is he not? Obviously a fresh start under Pulis, here’s hoping!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Love this thread

Jordan has ‘ earned his chance’.  On one tap in this season , and scoring in one match last season.

I feel I have also earned my chance, as the other week I laced one past my 8 year son in the garden. 

I suggest you watch the tap in again and watch the movement by Rhodes to get in front of the defender.

Might only be 2 or 3 yard but it shows how he scores his goals.

Anticipation , movement and gets a toe end to it.

Might look scruffy but none of our other strikers would have scored it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest LondonOwl313
54 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

And thats the million dollar question I have been asking for the last 2 hours or so.  Why has every manger basically done this to him.

Well given he didn’t play for Bruce, he’s had 3 managers here. He just didn’t seem to fit under Carlos and the abundance of options meant we chopped and changed a lot.

Hard to judge anyone under Jos or Monk as they were both shocking. I’ve just got the impression that they both had a set way of doing things and if someone didn’t do exactly what they wanted they weren’t picked. They didn’t seem to care about quality either otherwise KW and SH would have been playing. It felt a bit like Rhodes only avoided being given the same treatment because he’s probably quite quiet and doesn’t kick up a fuss on the training ground or when he’s not selected. Just my impression 

Its probably to do with his playing style and not been the type of player to press from the front as both those managers were obsessed with not conceding and didn’t get us going attacking wise 

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Well given he didn’t play for Bruce, he’s had 3 managers here. He just didn’t seem to fit under Carlos and the abundance of options meant we chopped and changed a lot.

Hard to judge anyone under Jos or Monk as they were both shocking. I’ve just got the impression that they both had a set way of doing things and if someone didn’t do exactly what they wanted they weren’t picked. They didn’t seem to care about quality either otherwise KW and SH would have been playing. It felt a bit like Rhodes only avoided being given the same treatment because he’s probably quite quiet and doesn’t kick up a fuss on the training ground or when he’s not selected. Just my impression 

Its probably to do with his playing style and not been the type of player to press from the front as both those managers were obsessed with not conceding and didn’t get us going attacking wise 

We will have to wait and see. Think Pulis will start him as we don't have much else and like Westwood comes with a good reputation from the outside looking in. Up to him to do whats he has been unable to do so far and keep him place in the team.

Personally hope that Pulis can bring in a out of contract target man before the window re-opens. But hopefully our players step up and show Pulis, what they're capable of and grasp the opportunity to impress him. 

I don't think any of our strikers suit Pulis' teams. For that reason I can see us being solid at the back, using Luongo as a shield and relying on our other midfield players supporting Rhodes or Windass leading the line.

Hopefully Pulis can in time bring in more players suited to his style. Till then I think we'll have to go 3-4-2-1 like Pulis did at Middlesbrough or 4-2-3-1 if Pulis think a back four would suit us more? 

Guest LondonOwl313
7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

We will have to wait and see. Think Pulis will start him as we don't have much else and like Westwood comes with a good reputation from the outside looking in. Up to him to do whats he has been unable to do so far and keep him place in the team.

Yeah, interested to see how he does. Just think he’ll get a fair chance with Pulis and it either works or it doesn’t, whereas under his last two managers here they had an agenda against certain players.

Pulis did say that he comes in to the clubs, speaks to everyone and then tries to maximise from the resources available. At Stoke this meant long ball with Crouch and Jones up front.. you’d assume here it means get the ball forward and wide then get crosses in the box

5 hours ago, Jack the Hat said:

I really hope he plays. I understand he has underachieved since he came but it doesn't mean lesser players should be picked in front of him as a punishment.

We now have our only best goalkeeper and striker on the pitch. Its not hard.

They both have it all  to do but are capable, hope it works out for all concerned. 

44 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Love this thread

Jordan has ‘ earned his chance’.  On one tap in this season , and scoring in one match last season.

I feel I have also earned my chance, as the other week I laced one past my 8 year son in the garden. 

Narrow minded view to be honest. People aren't suggesting he's earned his chance off one goal.

They think he should be given a chance as he's been part of the team that has rarely won this season, seemed to have a good partnership with Windass and in terms of competition we are failing to see the alternative who is banging the goals in. 

So more to it than one tap in mate 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Love this thread

Our players have scored 1 goal from open play in the last 10 league games, mate.

We're in a bit of a pickle, aren't we?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Thats the problem though isn't it after 4 games for reasons unknown to everyone will he be dropped for Kachunga.

Well let’s hope you are wrong, because if 3 goals in 3000 minutes Kachunga is the best solution we have major major problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Love this thread

I think you’re missing the point that NONE of our forwards are scoring goals and haven’t for a while.

They’ve all had ample opportunity this season. Rhodes really hasn’t. And he’s suited to a Pulis style of play. 

It’s almost impossible for us to score less than we are doing, so we’ve not got much to lose in trying him again.

• Like 2