Jordan Rhodes

15 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I love comments like this..how have we come to this conclusion? 😄

He's had the service, but for whatever reasons he's not been the player he once was.

It can't hurt to stick him in the team now until the end of the season,  I think we have shown Kachunga, Windass, Marriott and Patterson are not going to do the business for us so it wouldn't be like he's keeping anyone better out.

Yeah, stick him up front with Patterson, long balls/thrown ins to a big man, Rhodes might nick a few from that scenario. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/latest-owls-news/loan-sheffield-wednesday-striker-jordan-rhodes-hailed-class-act-and-hints-where-his-future-lies-letter-young-fan-113116

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Isn't that what every manager has done with him to start with though. Then after 3 or 4 games they realise he ain't up to it.

Think Monk played Fletcher and Winnall first game and they both scored

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

..from interviews he’s given over the years, and letters he’s taken time to write for young fans. Always comes across well.

Do you know any different? Probably not, so I don’t know why you’ve taken exception to my point.

As for his problems on the pitch, we don’t deliver quality from wide areas which he needs - and had wherever he’s done well. At Blackburn he had Conway & Marshall swinging balls in. At Huddersfield Roberts and Pilkington.

What’s he got here? ..no end-product from Harris. Reach gets moved about every fookín week. Penney can’t get in the team. Palmer & Odubajo are very ordinary, and Murphy's gone.

I'm not going to go over every formation we have played over the YEARS to accommodate Rhodes, but believe me we have,  no manager is going to have player as expensive as Rhodes on his books without trying everything to get him scoring.  

My exception to your point is that it sounds like the normal clutching at straws to justify our continued employment of Rhodes, to find anything as a plus point for him and I find it a bit ridiculous to be honest. He certainly hasn't done anything over and above your average footballer does for fans and the community.

Let's agree that this yet another clean slate for a player that is going nowhere - we can't even give him away his wages are that high - so we should try and get the best out of him with a new set of players and manager.  

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So? loads of players do stuff like this? 

He's a footballer not a community liaison officer. 

If he was ' an absolute gent' who wanted to play football, I would have expected him to cancel his contract which he isn't coming anywhere close to living up to, and try his luck in league 1.

As it is, he's just doing what any normal person would do in his very fortunate situation - taking his large wages every month and not rocking the boat.  

• Haha 6

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

I'm not going to go over every formation we have played over the YEARS to accommodate Rhodes, but believe me we have,  no manager is going to have player as expensive as Rhodes on his books without trying everything to get him scoring.  

My exception to your point is that it sounds like the normal clutching at straws to justify our continued employment of Rhodes, to find anything as a plus point for him and I find it a bit ridiculous to be honest. He certainly hasn't done anything over and above your average footballer does for fans and the community.

Let's agree that this yet another clean slate for a player that is going nowhere - we can't even give him away his wages are that high - so we should try and get the best out of him with a new set of players and manager.  

He comes across as being a bit meek if I'm honest, a nice kid and low on confidence. At Huddersfield and Blackburn he was the main man and he scored loads. Did ok at Boro for a few months then dropped for the Prem, then he comes here.

I'd say he was disappointing under Carlos for sure... we basically had too many strikers at the time so it was hard to get them all firing before they lost their place in the team. Fletcher was the only one who was fairly consistent all the way through, Hooper fitted his style of play very well but was injury prone.. FF was always better on the left cutting in, Nuhui was steady and Joao was very inconsistent and since his move to Reading he seems to have improved that a bit. Rhodes and Winnall struggled to get a place in the side. When he did play we didn't use wingers or get many crosses in the box... if anything the likes of FF and Wallace used to like to pick up the ball, cut in and shoot, or we'd play through the middle. He struggled with not being the focal point and because we had so many options he got dropped pretty quick in favour of others.

Jos never really gave him much of a chance and went with Nuhui and Joao, then loaned him out. He wasn't here under Bruce. Monk never utilised him well at all.. bring him on for 10 mins and never get the ball forward its not a surprise if he doesn't score. Even when he got the hat trick at Forest he was dropped within 2 games.

Now we're in the position where theres nobody else to compete with to be the main striker really. Plus a good man manager in charge. So the environment right now suits him more than at any time he's been here, so lets see if he can do the business.

Guest wilyfox
11 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

you can try every system under the sun, but if you can’t put quality provision in the box Rhodes won’t score. He’s a box-player; always has been, always will be.

I’m not defending him. He needed to toughen up and get more physical. He hasn’t done that. Would still score more with good service though.

Interesting stats on Rhodes. If you look at his minutes played in comparison to his goals it’s not so bad. 

20/21 - 1 goal in 182 mins = (1 in 2.02 games)

19/20  - 3 goals in 684 mins = (3 in 7.6 games)

18/19 - 6 goals in 1010 mins = (6 in 11.2 games)

17/18 - 5 goals in 1591 mins = (5 in 17.6 games)

16/17 - 3 goals in 1292 mins (3 in 14.3 games)

Altogether since joining Wednesday and a loan at Norwich. He’s scored 18 goals in the equivalent of 52 games (4759 mins). 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

So? loads of players do stuff like this? 

He's a footballer not a community liaison officer. 

If he was ' an absolute gent' who wanted to play football, I would have expected him to cancel his contract which he isn't coming anywhere close to living up to, and try his luck in league 1.

As it is, he's just doing what any normal person would do in his very fortunate situation - taking his large wages every month and not rocking the boat.  

What a silly post mate. Shame because I like you as a poster.

He didn’t decide his price tag or decide the wages he was offered. No player in the world would rip up their contract, ridiculous to suggest you think he should do that. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Still don’t believe we’ve ever given Rhodes a fair run of games. 

People will jump on this, but he’s been in and out the side constantly, given 15 minutes here and there. Hopefully Pulis will put some faith in him. And if it doesn’t work? Have we really got a better alternative? 

I agree, if Rhodes didn't score he was dropped, if other strikers didn't score they were unlucky. The price tag has been a noose for him, expectations set so high.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Examples? 

38 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Think Monk played Fletcher and Winnall first game and they both scored

What I mean is every manager at some point has given him a spell of games to prove himself and in the end he is back on the bench or even worse out the squad. Are all of them managers wrong. 

I would love it if Rhodes could score regularly for us again. but so far there is more evidence to say this won't happen then it will.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It goes back to the absolute obvious - No player capable of scoring 20 goals is left out of the side, period, and especially for a team like ours 

There’s no other way round it 

So he’s either shafted all ex managers missus’, or he’s not the player he was 5+ years ago 

And since when was his whole game in the box? I seem to recall him playing on the shoulder, beating 2 defenders for pace and slotting in a fourth in that 4-4 game 

• Haha 1

Of all of the different sets of circumstances over the many years we have had Rhodes on the books this is the one that must now point to him playing. 
What even is the alternative?

Nothing we have tried has worked. 
Paterson- utility player adapted as a striker

Kachunga- runs about a bit but couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo

Windass- a good player in my opinion but not a ‘striker’

Mariott- why is he here? I haven’t seen even a glimmer of a striker in there. Plus I really hate his hair cut. 

Rhodes might be a busted flush, burned out, yesterday’s man etc but we may as well put him on as at least the opponents will feel obligated to mark the bloke. 

Even if he just stands there one might go in off his arse?!

He will only have until Jan to make his mark as that’s when Pulis will be bringing in a new forward I would assume?

Good luck Jordan!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Ask any journalist or player who has played with Rhodes and they will tell you he is the nicest bloke in football.  

That reminds me of a job I was overseeing in Cumbria. I was called to a site meeting with the clients project manager who had a complaint about one of our engineers.

His opening remarks were, "your engineer is a very nice man, but, there is a monastery down the road that has 20 very nice men, they can't build boilers either"

lol

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, agentwalker said:

Going to start calling Rhodes, Lazarus because this guy keeps getting picked, written off. new managed comes in, gets picked then written off . rinse and repeat.

He's a shadow of what he used to be. Best to move on..

Fine.

Move on from Rhodes.

But to whom?