Jordan Rhodes

23 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I would love it if Rhodes could score regularly for us again. but so far there is more evidence to say this won't happen then it will.

Assuming you agree the last two and 1/4 seasons is the best recent evidence, is a goal every 180 minutes not good enough?

Especially put against the abysmal record of Paterson, Marriott, Kachunga and Windass.

Just now, Holmowl said:

Assuming you agree the last two and 1/4 seasons is the best recent evidence, is a goal every 180 minutes not good enough?

Especially put against the abysmal record of Paterson, Marriott, Kachunga and Windass.

Why does he keep getting dropped by everyone then. 

Your looking at bits of paper. All the managers are watching him in training and in post match evaluations and deciding that he ain't good enough.  

Pulis may think differently, but he also may decide like the rest that he doesn't offer enough. 

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Your looking at bits of paper. All the managers are watching him in training and in post match evaluations and deciding that he ain't good enough.  

Pulis may think differently, but he also may decide like the rest that he doesn't offer enough. 

He got dropped by Farke because he played one up top and Pukki was on fire.

He got dropped by Monk last season because, well, because he’s Monk. No idea.

Rhodes and Fletcher were great together. 

Would you drop him to play any two from Marriott, Windass, Kachunga and Paterson?

Id pick him every single game already of them.

• Like 6

I have no idea whether Rhodes is going to flourish under Pulis' guidance, but it's worth a try.

Monk got him scoring at a better rate than all of his previous managers at Wednesday, but he was still clearly far from a perfect fit.

That may also be true under Pulis, but perhaps he might spot a way to set the team up to bring out the best in our number 20 (and our other forwards as well).

Let's face it - if we're somehow able to get Rhodes scoring regularly again, then our prospects for the season will massively improve. Defensively, we're the 7th best team in the league at present, but only Derby have scored fewer than us.

I'm sure Pulis will want to add a forward or two of his own as soon as possible, but for now he's got to work with what he's inherited. 

• Like 1

I hope Pulis can get us scoring and winning, whoever gets it in the net. If it Jordan Rhodes, then so be it.

Suspect, if we don't consistently get on top of teams, Rhodes would again be dropped as he wont score and,  in his current, and seemingly declining physical conditional, he doesn't contribute enough to a team that isn't dominating or playing incisive football. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

If he does that and it doesnt work,we are risking a relegation....Q: even with our limited options is that a chance worth taking?...or would he be better utilising Windass?

Why do you keep stating it’s risking relegation by starting Rhodes?

When he has started games this season we have averaged 2 points per game.

Without him starting we have averaged 0.88 points per game.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Final chance. But he needs a long stint in the side.

He scored against Cardiff after starting, didn’t score the next game, and has fallen out out of favour for whatever reason.

Carvalhal’s style didn’t suit him. Jos was a crap manager. Monk was a crap manager with a crap formation.

He SHOULD work under Pulis. I hope he does. We know he’s a good egg but he now needs to finally justify the price tag and the wage.

• Like 2

Just now, Holmowl said:

He got dropped by Farke because he played one up top and Pukki was on fire.

He got dropped by Monk last season because, well, because he’s Monk. No idea.

Rhodes and Fletcher were great together. 

Would you drop him to play any two from Marriott, Windass, Kachunga and Paterson?

Id pick him every single game already of them.

I would start with him yeah if I was playing two upfront. Maybe not as a lone striker.. because we have no one else.

But all I am saying is don't be surprised if he is dropped after a few games and hardly seen again whether his goal to games ratio suggests otherwise or not. Why!! Because this has been the pattern of Jordan Rhodes for the past 4 or 5 years. Managers don't want to trust him for 10-20 games for whatever reason that is. 

Why wouldn't Pulis try to get a tune out of Rhodes anyway?

Pulis sides have always tried to pepper the box with crosses, and these are precisely the kinds of playing style that have suited Rhodes when he was successfully scoring 20+ most seasons.

No-one should be holding their breath that Rhodes will all of a sudden be a success now, but since we've not got that many options up top anyway, I'd be happy for him to get a run between now and the new year, when I expect we'll be bringing more forwards in irrespective of how Rhodes does now anyway.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

This is a myth.

This is his fourth full season contracted to the club. 

First season under Carlos you can make a case for him not doing enough. Luhukay came in and he was rightly kept out by Nuhiu and Joao who hit a huge purple patch second half of the season. 

Second season loaned to Norwich. Sub appearances playing second fiddle to the excellent Pukki. However he scored some huge goals for Norwich coming off the bench. So much so Norwich were wanting to sign him permanently.

Third season. Bruce goes. Doesn’t start under Monk. Hits a hattrick against Forest. Starts the next game, doesn’t score and then is dropped. Subsequently out of favour for the rest of the season while we plummet down the league. 

This season. Scores opening day, forms a decent partnership with Windass. Doesn’t score the next. Then dropped and hasn’t started a game this season. Doesn’t seem fair to me. 

@Holmowl is your stats man, but I reckon if you break it down and analyse Rhodes’ goals per minutes on the pitch ratio at Wednesday and Norwich - it won’t actually be that bad. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This is a myth.

First season under Carlos you can make a case for him not doing enough. Luhukay came in and he was rightly kept out by Nuhiu and Joao who hit a huge purple patch second half of the season. 

Second season loaned to Norwich. Sub appearances playing second fiddle to the excellent Pukki. However he scored some huge goals for Norwich coming off the bench. So much so Norwich were wanting to sign him permanently.

Third season. Bruce goes. Doesn’t start under Monk. Hits a hattrick against Forest. Starts the next game, doesn’t score and then is dropped. Subsequently out of favour for the rest of the season while we plummet down the league. 

This season. Scores opening day, forms a decent partnership with Windass. Doesn’t score the next. Then dropped and hasn’t started a game this season. Doesn’t seem fair to me. 

@Holmowl is your stats man, but I reckon if you break it down and analyse Rhodes’ goals per minutes on the pitch ratio at Wednesday and Norwich - it won’t actually be that bad. 

Monk and Jos it didn’t workout for him. Two managers hailed as our worst in recent times. He was never a Carlos signing and did not suit the way Carlos wanted to play at all. Bruce didn’t get chance to look at him. Let’s see what Pulis reckons? 

4 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This is a myth.

The fact of the matter is he keeps getting left out because he isn't good enough isn't it.  

Dress it up anyway you want with any stats you want.

Managers don't like starting Jordan Rhodes for prolonged periods of games.

Why is everyone so sure this won't happen under Pulis aswell.

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

This is a myth.

He averages a goal every 312 minutes for us in the league, which puts him in the same bracket as strikers such as Nuhiu (a goal every 304 minutes) and Matias (a goal every 321 minutes).

He did much better at Norwich, though - a goal every 168 minutes.

2 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

I can’t remember a time he has had a run of matches, give him the chance. No one could argue that he is our best finisher and yet barely features.

Thats what all my above points have been about. 

Why has no manager and we are talking 4 different ones here, given him a run of matches when he is suppose to be a 20 goal a season striker if he gets a run of games. 

Doesn't that strike everyone as a bit odd.